League of Rhordia 2k List Help

Hey all - I hope you’re all keeping busy and staying safe nowadays. I decided to pick up some things at the local game store during lockdown (curbside pickup at a partnering restaurant = support two businesses at once!), and some Halfling Militia from Wargames Atlantic caught my eye.

One thing led to another, and now I’m building a League of Rhordia army… Problem is, they are not very much like my other armies (Dwarves, Elves, and Undead), so I’m getting a little stuck. I love the Spear Phalanx / Dogs of War horde for the Ensnare, I’ve got a bunch of random Warlord Games Roman Legionnaires from a couple of Adepticons ago for Foot Guard, and I’m kitbashing up some Warlord Egyptian Chariots and halfling riders for Honor Guard. Beyond that… Not sure where to go from there.

Any regular Rhordia players have any advice? I’ll get a better idea of the faction once I can get some games in (as soon as this darn pandemic winds down - hopefully…), but in the meantime I’m looking for a good starting spot. Here’s what I’ve got so far.

Unit Count: 12
Unit Strength: 18

280, Dogs of War Horde
Indomitable Will
235, Foot Guard Horde
Indomitable Will
250, Honor Guard Horde
Indomitable Will
195, Knight Regiment
100, Halfling Knight Troop

220, Mammoth
150, Battle Shrine

80, Volley Gun
80, Volley Gun

235, Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez
Blade of Slashing
75, Army Standard Bearer
Lute of Insatiable Darkness
100, Wizard
Shroud of the Saint
Heal (3)
Lightning Bolt (3) to replace Fireball

To be fair, I haven’t used my KoM army as League since 3rd started, so my advice may be a bit 2nd edition… That said, during 2nd, I did use them a lot as I found them the most likeable of the four human factions. (they performed better than brotherhood and KoM and since I dont own angels Basilea is out)

Starting 3rd, League has a lot in common with Kingdoms of Men, which I did play quite a few times. They gain the battle shrine (good choice) and dogs of war over a few choices that you leave out anyhow, so fielding them as League is a good choice for you.

I love your army idea, especially as it’s a lockdown-started army. Good luck building them!

As for your army composition, I have a few suggestions that you can use to change your army. Ultimately, it’s your army and should reflect your playstyle. Whatever works for me, may not work for you.

First, I’d suggest that you pick out a bit more chaff. League has decent chaff (if only the shield wall troop) so you should be able to protect your expensive hordes from being double-tapped in an alpha charge.

Also, the volley guns were nerfed quite a bit come 3rd and I’d rather replace them with ordinary cannon/mortars. These ignore cover with a long range, eliminating the majo KoM disadvantage with shooting, which is that blasted 6+ to hit whenever not shooting over an open field.

Finally, 2 sources of inspire may be a bit on the light side. (and one is on the flier, which you want to be in your enemies’ back line. Maybe switch the shroud of the saint on the mage for an inspiring talisman, so you have at least 2 in your main battle line.

Looking through your list, I think some of the units may benefit from a magical item upgrade (pathfinder on the knights i.e.) so finding points is gonna be hard. I’d suggest dropping the mammoth to find these and buy that chaff you want. If any left over points, buy a 3rd souce of inspiring, a mounted cheap hero or a 3rd artillery.

I agree that I need more Chaff and another inspiring source, but I wasn’t sure what to drop. I keep thinking I don’t have enough sources of CS/TC, hence the Mammoth, but that might be a bit overkill at this point.

In regards to Chaff - League doesn’t have access to Shield Wall anymore, just Halfling Braves, Spear Phalanx / Dogs of War, Pole Arms Block, and Foot Guard, in addition to crossbows and halfling archers. Braves are cheap but regiment-sized (a lot of depth there for a sp4 chaff…), Halfling Cavalry troops might work but seem expensive for chaff, archers have some of the problems of braves but can at least do something, and foot guard troops (possibly with 2-handed weapons) might work but are a little expensive for chaff.

This is really the heart of the issues I’m having - for every option on there, it seems like there’s a slightly better/cheaper/more efficient option that might work better, and I end up thinking myself in circles. Here’s another list idea:

Unit Count: 14
Unit Strength: 19

280, Dogs of War Horde
– Indomitable Will
250, Foot Guard Horde
– Sir Jesse’s Boots of Striding
– Indomitable Will
270, Honor Guard Horde
– Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar
– Indomitable Will
75, Halfling Brave Regiment
75, Halfling Brave Regiment

150, Battle Shrine

100, Cannon
100, Cannon

235, Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez
– Blade of Slashing
75, Army Standard Bearer
– Lute of Insatiable Darkness
100, Wizard
– Shroud of the Saint
– Lightning Bolt (3) to replace Fireball
– Heal (3)
90, Wizard
– Inspiring Talisman
– Lightning Bolt (3) to replace Fireball
– Bane Chant (2)

This sorta makes it more of an elite+chaff army, which I’m not sure is the point of Rhordia?? Also, the Inspiring Talisman doesn’t seem so useful when other options in the army have Very Inspiring.

I’ve become quite fond of Halfling Knights in Troops or Regiments. Their nimble nature helps to make them get where they need to be and they are a real threat in a flank. Great support for Honor Guard.

I don’t have a ton of games under my belt but I know the baron is a very good deal for a combat individual. (He is no grokmagak but Me3, CS 1 with 4 attacks is pretty certain to disorder).He is inspiring to humans only but as long as they can try to keep him in a group of humans and use other sources for toy halflings you should be ok.

Also I would say that hordes of pole arms are pretty good too. Poor defence but with the 20/22 nerve(boosted to 22/24 with shrine and potential for -/24 with indomitable will also)they can stay on the table and deal out some hurt for a pretty cheap horde.

Battle shrine is pretty much a must because it really is just a crazy good value and helps with the leagues below average nerve issue while still providing shooting and a not half bad melee unit in a pinch.

Honor guard horde that you have is also a fantastic unit. I would give them striding or pathfinder though to prevent your target from simply hiding in terrain.

Again I say I am certainly no pro.

1 Like