Monster March 5! - painting challenge

WIP Forest Shamblers

5 Likes

I have started building the Goreblight:

It’s a scratch built from models in my bits box, mainly GW Chaos spawn, green stuff and a zombie troll.

More photos and the introduction here:

8 Likes

So here’s my Monster March entry: The Stormwind Cavalry that I finally want to finish! :sweat_smile:

First with a picture back from August 2020, as they were still all shiny silver:

And with a picture of the current progress:

An Otherworld Treeman / Tree Herder snuck in there and Mortibris from Dungeon Saga is lurking in the back as well… no idea what they’re doing there - they might want to try jump the line and get painted first. Bad Tree Herder, Bad Mortibris, Bad Bad Bad! :wink:

So will the Stormwind Regiment finally get finished in Monster March!?!?

Well, probably not … but I’ll try! :laughing:

7 Likes

I’m surprised you printed the base as well, if rebasing to a 75mm square anyway. Nice thing about all RPG sculpts I’ve worked with, the round base is optional :wink:

Nice forest shambler bog monster things! Which reminds me I have an entire painted army of forest shambler bog monster things I have to base still :grimacing:

1 Like

HI @Boss_Salvage!

Great models indeed and fantastic to see that you are already on Monster-painting series! It is awesome you are participating, I will add the photos to the next update some time tomorrow :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi @Morofang!

It is great to see this model being assembled! I must admit it is one of those that tempt me to get just to paint! I am glad to know that the troublesome stage of assembling it is over. Now the fun begins!

Thanks!

HI @Findol!

Great model! I really like the pose, just ready to strike! Great to have you participating, I will be adding you with this model to the update tomorrow for sure! And I will not forget to add Shamblers as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Vince!

It is fantastic you are participating again! Many thanks for the blog post as well, I will be definitely providing links to it for the update. Great idea for the model, keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

HI @Mikes!

Some really nice models and a steady progress on Stormwind. It does not matter it takes time, keep up the pace you are comfortable with :slight_smile:

I really like the fancy model handlers for painting too!

Cheers!

1 Like

I actually ordered it from a friend, we went in on the kickstarter together. I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect but was very pleased with the model!

1 Like

Hello!

Here is the update on the week 1 progress of the #MonsterMarch5 challenge! Some fantastic models and great start for all the participants!

Check them out!

1 Like

Just finishing a regiment of Forest Shamblers yesterday Swordmaster. Will grab photos later.

Got a Mantic Giant on the painting table as well. Might get that completed by the end of the month.

1 Like

Fantastic! It is a great model for sure !

My just completed horde of Forest Shamblers:

These were fantastic miniatures to paint. I absolutely loved them - so full of detail and character. I think they are the best Mantic miniatures I’ve used yet. They will be getting a dab of fluorescent green in the eye holes when I get around to my next paint order but I’m super happy with them. As usual my photos are a bit whiff - these are the best of a blurry lot unfortunately. :rofl:

Might get my Goblin Giant finished this month:

Or maybe not - skin is driving me crazy - so far I’ve used about eight different skin shades, inks, washes and glazes and it still isn’t getting anywhere near where I want it …

9 Likes

@Niall78 they’re looking good. On your skin tone issues, have you tried reikland fleshshade wash from GW? I love it as it makes even my flesh painting look respectable and I know ‘proper’ painters on YouTube swear by it too

1 Like

Think I have reikland fleshshade on it already. :rofl:

Certainly some Army Painter flesh wash - also Vallejo Ink flesh and a couple of flesh coloured glazes.

The flesh surfaces are so big I’m finding the washes and inks are leaving staining in the wrong areas. Will probably try some more glazing.

There’s all kinds of flesh colours all over the other basecoats/highlights at this stage. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Looking fabulous @Niall78, and the glowing green eyes will finish the Shamblers wll.
I had great fun painting my two Mantic giants, both the Northern Alliance blue one and my flesh toned Goblin one. There is a lot of skin though and it can be challenging to get it …just right!

For me, one of my favorite paints is not a wash, but my Citadel Dry Kindleflame, a light pink dry brushing paint that sat in my box for years underappreciated while i painted Orks to beat the band. It does wonders on pink human… or giant flesh

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed tackling the giant for sure Nav.

Like all really big stuff though I found after a few days I’d been painting it like a normal 28mm miniature and it was lacking a lot. You really need to be introducing many more highlight and shading layers to make these massive miniatures look decent and fill the space.

1 Like

…indeed, and there is plenty of detail to work with on those Mantic Giants.

1 Like

Thanks for adding me Swordy! Tho I’ve no plans to paint the ice phoenix this month :wink: Being part of the challenge should help me get through the other two beasties!

1 Like