Monster March! - painting topic

My thoughts as well Niall!

I took an evening off from painting to put together some terrain pieces my son gave me…The IKEA furniture of the modelling world… with similar results. Looks ok, but what are all the screws for I have left over, and that drawer sticks.

9 Likes

I got sucked into that Kickstarter …

1 Like

My son did too, but decided he didnt have the room for them. There is a lot of terrain and bits for multibase decoration in here, but the assembly and tutorials are like watching a magician do a trick and figuring out how he did it. it’s easy once you know how but he’s not giving you the full picture. the end result does look good though.

1 Like

Tonight’s painting.

Edit… bit of a big lad.

7 Likes

When I first started the hobby Chaos warriors were always red (so was everything else…) When did vamps steal it? Am I getting old and out of touch? It can’t be!

Those zombie/ghouls look really nice. Did you speed paint them or spend time on each?

1 Like

i think i’ve seen that dude walking around the town, looking for a pub that’s open during lockdown.

nice unit @Stonehorse

1 Like

Vampires got the red treatment when gw introduced specific bloodlines for them - they kept the von carsteins as your traditional evening dress type and introduced blood dragons in red armour as a martial style lot.

Note, if you are old enough, chaos warriors were green (and I’m not talking nurgle) :wink:

3 Likes

@WoofBird cheers. Speed painted. Sprayed Necrotic Flesh, Grimore Purple the exposed flesh organs, bone skeletn bone, clothes various colours, hair grey. Then slap on either Steong or soft tone.

Seeing how easy these are to do, I should have gone all Zombie for my undead.

@Nav the Zombie or the Stormcast? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

My avatar of the green lady (on a 25x25 base cause 20x20 was just too small imo)

I actually finished this one in December, then had a series of accidents with it falling and breaking multiple times (part of its wing is missing) me somehow smudging its face and then botching the fix and in general just endless frustration so I just sealed it with varnish and put it on my shelf to get away from it. See below

Its not that bad in person I guess, though someday I’ll go back and fix the face.

It also has one of the thick bases I made that I have been debating cutting in half, but honestly I’m scared it’ll break again if I try.

10 Likes

Some nice looking zombies and trim storm cast standing in for ogres I guess.

The green lady model is very nice, which company is it?

The paint job on it is nice, I think it just needs some paint/texture/flock on the base to tie it all together.

Looking forward to more stuff from people. I’ve been in a bit of a painting slump… also distracted by a different project a bit.

Red armor with red trim has a sort of lacquered look that I associate with Blood Dragons / vamps from other companies, where Eastern influences tend to spill into the aesthetic. Also I’m a big fan and have done the same on my Skorne models for Warmahordes (again, loads of Eastern design elements, also possibly vampiric!) But I’ll admit I also just really hate painting infinite metal trim on colored plate :grimacing:

2 Likes

Its Bronaugh Tree-Mother from 3dartdigital on myminifactory.com without the billowing cape or dove flying from the hand.

The model was already pretty finicky despite being 40mm scale and has way too much going on fully assembled so I left it at this. The dove is pretty cool though so might change my mind at some point.

that zombie dude… the unit is your usual stag/hen party out on the town.

1 Like

8 Likes

Nice crossbowmen, @Sceleris but should they be in March Monsters, or whatever it’s called :wink: or is that one just for Monsters?

No idea!!

1 Like

Monster March is an annual painting challenge that @Swordmaster organizes and is separate from this community thread.

2 Likes

Good to know @generalsloth. Sadly, i’ve no monsters to paint at the moment… but the month is still young …

1 Like

Finished this unit of Ogre Palace Guard, really like how quick they were to paint up. Should have the full force finished by the end of the month.

8 Likes