Monster March- painting topic

They really do look awesome with those glowy weapons; great basing as well :slightly_smiling_face:

Did you go from dark to lighter colors as usual on the weapons or is there some trick to it?

Thanks for that! I’ve never done snow bases, so thought this might be a good excuse and nice contrast with the metal + forge heat.

While this isn’t the correct way to do molten weapons, this is my current scheme:

1. Black primed sword
  2. VMC Ivory
  3. GW Contrast Gryph-Hound Orange
  4. P3 Khador Red Highlight
  5. GW Wild Rider Red (stippled about halfway in from the edge)
  6. P3 Umbral Umber (blade edge)
  7. VMC Lemon Yellow (built up down the sword spine)

Works ok? And with paints I already had, minus the yellow (P3’s yellow is very bad). I should stipple a transition color in between orange and orange-red and the dark brown edge would be great with some little bits dotted past the edge, for the slag cooling out of the metal, but I dunno. Typically you use a lot more yellow as well but I wanted the orange as the army’s pop color so fudged it. Maybe their weapons are just cooler cause it’s winter :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hello!

Many thanks to @Vince for continuing with monthly painting challenge topics!

I am organizing Monster March painting challenge this year again. 7th year in a row! I hope you will be interested in participating! Here is the link to the blog post with some more details:

8 Likes

Eeek, I always forget the Monster March one! With around 170 Romans on my To Be Done list to make up and paint, i’m going to miss it again. Best of luck to everyone doing it though.

2 Likes

I’m in! I’ll pledge a Mierce bog beast, destined to be a Tree Herder for my Herd. The challenge will be a nice way to actually get him done, as Mierce stuff tends to linger in the build phase for me :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah, should be starting to paint some of the random AD stuff, plenty of which is slightly monstery

1 Like

Hi @nav, painting 170 Romans sound like a Monstrous task so if you like, I can count you in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Boss_Salvage ! Excellent choice! Can’t wait to see first photos!

1 Like

Hi Sceleris! Awesome! I am sure you will be able to complete a few of those in one month :slight_smile:

Great to see hobby content from you @Swordmaster!

Sadly I don’t have a monster in my unpainted pile (most of it is 15mm) and March will not be a good hobby month for me this year.

1 Like

Monster March!!! Yay! :grin: Can’t wait to see what everyone s up to this year :slightly_smiling_face:

… maybe March will be the month to finally finish that Dragon that i ve been painting since November …

Does it count for “Monster March” when I started that early? :thinking: :innocent:

1 Like

Hi @nav, painting 170 Romans sound like a Monstrous task so if you like, I can count you in :slight_smile:

That is indeed a challenge. I’m currently on 8 western Archers, with a troop of Praetorian riders (which should be 12 but I didn’t get the whole batch in the order) and 8 Auxillery spearmen currently being primed, with production line efficiancy.

White 'ghost ’ Legions.

Blue for Auxilleries, Red for Roman Legions, with Darker Red for Veterans and Purple for Praetorians. Most will be on 4 models per base with some two model bases and a scattering of ones, to make the units flexible to various game rules. Once the bases are made up, they are likewise colour coordinated for easy recognition.

The horde of Grey.
I’ve done a quick model count as to what is left still to be painted. It is as follows:-
In the Grey army “Weighing in at …” are 60 Roman Legionnaires, plus 20 Veterans and 20 Praetorians. Also I’ve another 16 Auxillery Spears.
Then in white, I have 8 more Auxilleries and 5 cavalry, (although I’m currently expecting a further 7 that should have come with the pack, but didn’t.)
If I get the White done in February, I’ll hopefully manage the Grey army in March. Total now at 136 unpainted and 8 archers i’ll hopefully finish between the rugby today.

3 Likes

Thanks! And I do understand. Hopefully next year :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perfect! Sometimes you need a little bit of push to finish the long project. Hopefully Monster March will help with that. I am going to count you in! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like a solid plan to me! Go Roman Legion! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

4 new heroes join the army. Troll(Artel W), Wiz, Bangit and King on Fleabag (both GW)

9 Likes

they look great. Loving that troll @DarkBlack @Garuses

2 Likes

I have finished my… October project.
October seems like a fitting time to paint nightstalkers, but real life didn’t play along.
I have now managed to paint (what I intend to be) my last few nightstalkers before I move on to Undead (which is behind several 15mm painting projects in the painting que).

I now have two mindscreetches, the one on the right is new.

A Wizkids magehunter (from the Magic the Gathering wave) to be a dread-fiend.

Finally a few individually based models for skirmish games or RPGs, hopefully one day.

14 Likes

Looking sweet @DarkBlack

1 Like

Thanks to @MiSiO_1 my newly arrived Abyssal Dwarf Berserkers can get a few nets. Even though the poor guy in the net is almost comically big, I like the outcome so far:

6 Likes