Game 163 - Forces of Nature - 2022/10/23

Hello!
Here is the link to the battle report from game 5 of Kings of War during Clash of Kings Australia 2020.

Elves vs Dwarfs commanded by Brent in Push scenario.

Game 138 - Dwarfs - 2020/02/13

Many thanks to Brent for a great game!

5 Likes

Thanks for another report! For me it is always very rewarding feeling to achieve the scenario goal at the cost of (necessary) heavy losses. Your game reminds me of one in which I played with the herd against very shooty goblins that almost always destroyed my army completely (their shooting was removing 1-2 units per round). In that particular game I lost the whole army with an exception of lycan alpha that (after 7th round) was still somehow keeping valuable loot tokens in the opponentā€™s territory. The victory never felt so sweet to me ā€¦ :smiley:

So, congratulations to your achievement, your archers deserve medals for being true heroes of the battle. :+1:

2 Likes

It is a sad day to hear of a dwarf defeat, but a happy day to hear of an Outcast victory!
Also nice to have predicted it correctly.

1 Like

Hi @AlQuds!

Thank you for your comment!

Absolutely! Such games always create a great story, especially when the final result depends, almost literally, on the very last dice roll. I also think that no matter the result, such close games always make you and your opponent excited about the battle itself and leave unforgettable memory. Something worthy of a story in itself!

Indeed, the Archers were the heroes of the battle and the whole army made a lot of ultimate sacrifices to help them reach the safety!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi @DarkBlack!

Congratulations on a perfect prediction! I do have a feeling you were still curious how would that happen :slight_smile:

And donā€™t worry, Brent told me he is already looking for the re-match. I am sure this impertinent act of stealing gold that rightfully belonged to Dwarfs was already entered into appropriate section of a book record. Such an insult will not be forgotten and demands action! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello!

Here is the link to the battle report from the last game of Kings of War I played during Clash of Kings Australia 2020. Elves vs Forces of Nature commanded by Ken in Control scenario.

Game 139 - Forces of Nature - 2020/02/16

Many thanks to Ken for a game!

5 Likes

Another great report - used to have to wait 2-3 months for these in WD!

The grid showing the zones at the end was very helpful.

Poor critters, safe all game, then pincushioned at the end! Did it put you off battlecats?

1 Like

Good game and thank you for writing it up! I gave enjoyed following this.

My predictions:
Game 1 win. Wrong, dealing with those units were tough. 0/1

ā€œGame 2 win, your opponent has a lot of hitting power stuck in that corner, getting in each otherā€™s way.ā€
I was right about how that would go. 1/2

ā€œGame 3 loss, donā€™t think you can stop his centre.ā€
You attacked his centre with your left flank to prove me wrong. 1/3

ā€œGame 4 could go either way. I think you might have a slight edge in speed though.ā€
This game swung back and forth and was decided at the very end! Iā€™m claiming it. 2/4

ā€œGame 5 win, heā€™s got nothing to stop you scoring all 3 while you can hold the dwarfs up.ā€
Thatā€™s what happened, more or less. 3/5

ā€œGame 6 win, I think you can overwhelm the right flank and your opponent is slow on the left.ā€
Overwhelm might have been an overstatement, but you still came through on the right while holding the left up. 4/6

So I do have a little insight, but so much can happen during a game! KoW is not a game that is won before it starts so easily.

1 Like

Hi @MarkG!

Ha! It is probably not a surprise that these reports were always an inspiration! I am so happy to hear that the reports I write bring back good, old memories too!

Good to know the grid helped to visualise the result. I came up with this idea at the very end of writing and I am glad I included it!

My approach to 3rd edition is to use what I have already or what I have models for in general. Hence, I have not thought about Battle Cats yet. Any suggestions (other than being expendable!) how I would potentially benefit from including them?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @DarkBlack!

First of all, thanks for making predictions! I know it is not easy and I did make mistakes that affected the end results of the battles. I greatly appreciate that because it is impossible for me to do the same. After all, I have already played the games and I would also look at them from biased point of view of a player of the Elven army. Your predictions give me a rare insight into the way another player can see the situation.

In some cases I failed to prove you right but I was happy to surprise you on some other occasions :slight_smile: And if that is a sign that army list building is not the factor that has to determine the result prior to the battle itself, I think thatā€™s fantastic!

I will be posting some summary hopefully soon so stay tuned for the final thoughts!

I definitely see the benefits of sticking with a list. The cats are a cheap, fast, small unit so seemed to fit the MSU approach. I think theyā€™d give you the option of cheaper chaff. Not to trap/fool the enemy but just to park in the way and force a favourable exchange. Lots of your opponents had large blocks and little ranged capability to deal with them. Think they could look cool too!

1 Like

Great to see you manage to pull these victories of! Especially after the initial defeats in V3, congrats!

As @MarkG mentioned, I think battle cats really match your playstyle. The Mantic models are not sold separately, so Iā€™d suggest finding other ones. thereā€™s plenty of wild animals in 28mm on the net, just choose anyone that matches your army!

Vince

1 Like

Hello!

I have just finished the summary after the series of battle reports from my games at Clash of Kings Australia 2020.

I would like to thank Matt and his crew for fantastic organisation, Ronnie for joining us in this hot period, my opponents (Trevor, Jattz, Matthew, Andrew, Finn and Ken) as well as all the participants and people who made this event such a fantastic experience for everyone!

Clash of Kings Australia 2020 - Summary

6 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to write it all up. And congratulations on coming 16th.

Itā€™s good to see different armies in the top ten. Interesting also that the elf list had a fair bit of shooting with 3x gladestalkers, seaguard horde and a bolt thrower.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reports Swordie, and great showing! Very happy result after your frustrating (for me anyway!) win-less matches leading up to the Clash.

I was interested about the overall spread of armies:

FACTION #
Undead 8
Elves 5
Goblins 5
Night-stalkers 5
Dwarfs 4
Kingdoms of Men 4
Salamanders 4
Abyssal Dwarfs 3
Ogres 3
Orcs 3
The Empire of Dust 3
The Forces of Nature 3
The League of Rhordia 3
Basilea 2
Forces of the Abyss 2
Northern Alliance 2
Ratkin 2
The Varangur 2
Sylvan Kin 1
The Herd 1
Trident Realm 0
Brotherhood 0
Twilight Kin 0

(The stats provided didnā€™t specify Free Dwarfs, which I have to assume made up some of those Dwarf armies?? I could be wrong tho, particularly as weā€™re close enough to 2E that some of these armies are legacy forces - the Elves, for example.)

Most surprising is no Trident! Yet four Sallies!

1 Like

Hi @MarkG!

Thanks a lot!

Let me get back to Battle Cats first. I am sure there are good uses for the kitties, not only as cheap sacrificial unit. I guess they may actually be quite good at eliminating other swarms, war engines etc. I will keep them in mind when expanding the army to higher points for some games.

In terms of models I do like the panthers a lot and I am already thinking about incorporating them into the army, perhaps as additional models to cavalry units?

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi @Vince!

Thanks! It was definitely good to start winning some battles :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Hi @Boss_Salvage!

Believe me, I was not happy with my start in 3rd edition at all! I really needed a bit of confidence boost that things can still work. There is still a lot for me to do to adapt but I have much better motivation now.

As far as I know Free Dwarfs were not yet represented. General consensus was that people had less time to prepare Uncharted Empires armies for the event and that may resulted in fewer armies from that supplement.

It will be interesting to see what players are going to use at the future events. Especially that we already know these will be at varied points, which, I think, also has an impact on choices people make.

Cheers!

1 Like

@Boss_Salvage I think that the common fantasy armies will always have a good showing as many players see themselves as a dwarf, greenskin or elf player etc. They would have to be significantly underpowered to drop in number.

Undead is one of these but the range in the list allows people with all sorts of miniatures play the faction.

1 Like

I feel that. I want to say the absence of Twilight Kin is either a) an Australian thing, as Kin was very prevalent in tournaments here in the US towards the end of 2E; b) shows that players were just running their Elves as Kin for competitive reasons, and have since switched back or moved on; or c) Kin are just a weird faction with few obvious advantages to offset what they give up from Elves, and players havenā€™t cracked the code yet. I say this as I look at Kin for my next army :sweat_smile:

1 Like