My 4000 points + of Northern Alliance army

@Palindra on every sprue, there are 2 shields with half arm attached , and 2 upper arm bits that are fiddly as hell to attach. Why ? i’m not sure, but nevertheless, it is so.
So, make sure to do these first, so as not to mix them up. The arm bits are on the same part of the sprue as the shields. Either glue arms top and bottom together first, then allow glue to set before attaching it or glue the upper arm to body, then attach lower part with the shield once it is dry. You can vary how this arm sits doing this, but generally it is a pain.

1 Like

Thankies :bouquet: - I did it - and on the next sprue I found “A” and “B” :upside_down_face: :see_no_evil:

1 Like

i was going to mention that, but i couldn’t remember off hand what it was on the spue

1 Like

i’ll hold my hand up and admit, i tend to be a speed painter, so i just dive right in and don’t bother to look for instructions, or wait for the glue to dry overnight or any of that. i get more glue on me instead of the model, when constructing, and only have a basic rough concept when i pick up my brush to start a new model, trusting in my instincts rather than any formulated plan of how the piece is going to look when i’m done

3 Likes

After years of only playing Skirmish games I need to speed up my painting for KoW :joy:

1 Like

@Palindra i gather that contrast paints will do wonders for speed painting,. My son uses them to good effect, and he was never a confident painter.
I am old style, base spray from a cheap can of primer, then the rest is brush work, washes and dry brushing, maybe a bit of sponge painting on bigger models. No spray gun or wet pallet generally, unless its needed.

I have to stop myself sometimes.

Dwarf number 85 out of 300+ simply doesn’t need three stages of highlights. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

An old trick with mass rank historical was to put a bit more effort into front rank and a lot less into the ranks behind. I’ve always painted them the same though. Batch painting whole units in one go has always been my way - I think many people still paint individual miniatures and add each to the finished unit though.

3 Likes

hehehe.
With my last batch of Human Clansmen, i experimented on painting the whole units in batches of 10 men, already stuck onto the base before priming.
In theory, what you cannot see to get a brush to, doesn’t need painting.
I actually was pleasantly surprised at how nice the final units turned out. I will be using this method again.
Previously i have also experimented with painting them on the sprue, before glueing them together and final touching up, (most of my goblins were done this way.

1 Like

For mass systems always batch painting. 7 for KoW now is a nice number :+1:t3:

2 Likes

That’s a nice looking army, well done

2 Likes

@DanKennedy many thanks

I took a chance on some Umber Berserkers from the ASOIAF miniatures, usually too expensive, but at 50 per cent off, it was worth a try. They look pretty good option for Huscarls.

6 Likes

7 Likes

If I didn’t have a mountain of Romans to do, i’d be tempted to clean off some of my Northern Alliance army, and repaint, or at least rebase. I’ve learned a lot since i started the Northern Alliance, including wearing reading glasses to see fine detail better

1 Like

Those Umber Huscarls look awesome Nav! I’ve considered ASOIAF minis before and this is solidly convincing me.

1 Like

Thanks @Findol Findol, I couldn’t agree more. I had previously considered buying the Free Folk for Human Clansmen, and in the end, even though i opted for the Mantic models, I did my best to paint them with the Free Folk in mind: a blending wintry camoflage of light blues and whites like they have just walked out of freezing fog or a blizzard of snow.
The cost of the models normally is a deterent, but i got mine in a closing down sale along with 2 boxes of Dothraki Screamers.

1 Like

WIP Fast cavalry

3 Likes

Despite the fact that I already have more Northern Alliance than i’d ever field, I decided to buy another Army kit.
Odd though this might seem, I wanted to buy something… anything that could get me to send in some of my Mantic points and get me the Ronny the Bard figure, for my D&D character. The parcel was much quicker to get to me this time, which i’ll put down to the mantic points finding their way back quicker.
The other logic in my decision was that the army kit, rather than the mega army kit, had all the bits i wanted, well, nearly all. I did have to invest in the upgrade bows kit to make some hunters with bows rather than spears. Added to this was getting Ice Blade, and 2 more giant ravens. Can one ever get enough ravens? i doubt it.
Speaking of Ravens. it seems odd that the sprues include 4 sets of wings, 4 raven heads and 4 stalagmites , but only 2 raven body parts, which leaves one wanting someone with a 3d printer to make up the other 2 bodies, 4 dwarf bodies, with 8 dwarf heads. Obviously, lots of spare parts, but for me, it just seems to be a waste of plastic… Also, i’m a bit amazed that someone thought stalagmites were an excellent way to create a suitable pose for the birds. Luckily, i might have some of the clear plastic flying bases from my old 40k Ork Defkoptas. to put an 'invisible space between bird and rocky outcrop. i think.

2 Likes

Northern Alliance were my first Kings of War army, and I was very much experimenting with it. both in painting something other than greeskins, and multibases . Over the last few months, I’ve re-modelled Grimm the Frost Giant, and rebased a few other units, although i’ve still to rebase my ice Naiads and Ice Elementals.

1 Like

Work started on Northern Alliance Frostclaw Riders. These are usually raven black but I prefer Magpie blue and white

Still very much a work in progress, but the base and dry brushing is looking good so far,

7 Likes