My 4000 points + of Northern Alliance army

8 Likes

I thought you were channeling your inner Shamrock Rovers fan there Nav :wink:

loving your work there, the rocky basing is excellent, blends the plastic bases in seamlessly

2 Likes

Many thanks Gerrcinn, I wasn’t too impressed with the original design, so I’m happy to have found a n alternative look. I love my wee Biggles dwarfs. I’m not fond of the usual flat headed Mantic dwarfs , but i’d get a regiment of these ‘Free dwarfs’ if they were on sale.

1 Like

I’m a bit further along with the project. Im bouncing between this, and repainting my old half-elf berserkers and an additional twn of the new version.

Much better pictures by far, when using my old Huawei phone camera rather than my new ish Samsung one. A bit of decent sunlight might help, but I’m in Ireland and it’s January, nuff said.

7 Likes

My first troop of Pack Hunters with Bows

3 Likes

Usually, a bit of a light wash would help to bring out the facial features, but painting small faces like this, can lead your miniatures with a five o’clock shadow. All perfectly well if painting Men, but most of this unit are women, so that makes it trrickier, even with a well watered down wash.
I did try for whitening the eye sockets and a tiny blob of black for the irises, but it wasn’t really working for me, even though the ones on Mantic site managed to make it easy

5 Likes

I still have another Troop of Half elf Berserkers to build and paint, but I wanted to see just how many points and how balanced my effectively two Northern Alliance armies are. Both are roughly 2500 points, but the Human Tribesmen are stronger in core numbers and HQ options while the non Human army (Frostbound) have more magic , ranged attacks and artillery.

I opted to test play the newly repriced Chimera, for the Humans, Proxying with one of the Orruk Dragon/Cabbages as a Chimera.

4 Likes

After working it out properly with a spreadsheet to make sure i’d covered everything, and switching the Frost Giant, to the Human side and giving the Cavern Dweller to the Frostbound, (with Neither side taking Hrimm, We are left with only 5 points different with Human Barbarian army at 2570 points (I’m sure i can find an article with that 5 points) and Frostbound at exactly 2575.
Both sides have a Formation, the Humans have Orlaf’s Raiders and the Frostbound have Talannar’s House Guard.
I’ll have to check whether they are both compliant with the army building limitations, but I doubt it will be an issue.

Old Ice Kin unit repainted and with a new base.

4 Likes

WIP Ice Blade and Ice Kin Master Hunter

I had considered mixing the old Ice Kin Hunters with the new Half Elf version, but they were too dissimilar.
Both units still need final touch ups. Also I stole one of the new ones to proxy as the Master Hunter.

2 Likes

I was never fond of the Ice Naiads upgrade or the original Naiads for that matter, but they could be a nuisance in a horde, should I ever feel the urge. However, I really didn’t like the original base for them so for now, that’s a start. Once I’ve finished the other models, I’ll have another look at these.

1 Like

Somehow, i managed to delete all the photos of the new Half Elf Archer unit or Ice Kin hunters or whatever they are destined to be called whenever Mantic figure out what they want to do with Northern Alliance.

3 Likes

Some light touching up yet on the two hero options mainly on the base and on the blue points and fur.

5 Likes

Very happy with how these furs look.

as with the heroes, some light touches to finish off

5 Likes

3 Likes

I love the magenta, gold, and blue Nav. Nice bright scheme that still really suits Northern Alliance.

1 Like

Many thanks @Findol . Initially, I’d considered a variety of autumnal colours, but it just wasn’t distinct enough when next to my human tribesmen.
As for the megenta, it was a surprise find that i stumbled across. it;s a Scalecolor Artist tube of acrylic paint which are heavy on pigment but light on flow, but need some form of wash to finish them off as they tand to appear dry and matt unless washed after application. They do blend well though, and are vivid.

1 Like

I decided to give the Ice Naiads a good work over

I’ve often found that the first attempt to paint a new unknown miniature teaches me what I need to know, and I’m better with my second attempt

2 Likes

1 Like