My Super Cheap Dwarf army

I got this army out of storage to use it in 3rd edition. I built it in 2015 for 2nd edition, so it’ll need the Greater Elementals rebasing, and I won’t be allying in the airship anymore (it used to be an elf dragon). It was made mostly with the very cheap plastic dwarfs from EM4.

Two regiments of bulwarkers with shields from a Revell Viking ship kit.

Horde of bulwarkers with shields from fireforge kits

Sharpshooters. I removed the crossbows and made barrels from cocktail sticks. The mantlets are made from coffee stirrers and matches.

‘Brock riders’ and Ironclad.

Replica Lewis chessmen as elementals. The big ones need 75mm bases.

Steel Behemoth, the ‘War Shed’. The cowcatcher is made from a plastic sealant remover tool.

Wings of Honeymaze represented with a Matchbox toy hot air balloon and various bits

Cannon barrels made from the ferrules of kid’s plastic paintbrushes. Spear dwarfs and axe dwarfs converted with green stuff to hold spongy stick things and torches.

Reaper bones mushroom men to count as Forest Shamblers to unlock an elf dragon. Not sure I’d do this now, and I don’t know if it’s even legal in 3rd.

Airship counting as elf dragon. Balloon is a plastic finial for a curtain pole. Also bits from pens, coffee stirrers, golf tee, string etc

23 Likes

One of my favourite, most inventive armies I’ve seen on here in a while! Looks great!

1 Like

Thank you! It was a lot of fun to make, and I think it only cost about £40 in total.

3 Likes

This is a very satisfying Dwarf army, great style and nice subdued tone. Impressive budget work!

2 Likes

Man, these are amazing! I think I like the chess elementals most of all, but they’re all good.

3 Likes

Thanks very much!

1 Like

Cheers! I think I might have to upscale the big ones a bit if they’re going on 75mm bases though.

2 Likes

Fabulous , looks great. Well done @JoeMcLaren

2 Likes

Thank you Nav!

2 Likes

Fantastic project

Looks fantastic

1 Like

Cheers Rusty!

1 Like

I love this army.

I’ve pondered over those Dwarf miniatures myself a few times. They look fantastic painted and ranked-up.

3 Likes

Thanks Niall! They’re certainly a bit unprepossessing as supplied, but yep a bit of paint and some good basing and I think they can work really nicely- and you can’t argue with the price!

1 Like

That is delightful and splendid!
I really like the character of this army and your creative handiwork adds to the charm.

1 Like

Thanks very much!

2 Likes

That is an excellent paint scheme, and great execution as well! I especially love the airship, and I might be stealing the idea of chariot dwarfs for myself at some point. Makes a lot more sense than normal dwarf cavalry, really…

3 Likes

Lewis Chessmen as elementals is inspired! I will be borrowing that idea!

3 Likes