Neriticans in the Ice and Iron campaign (4 players)

Our group of players in Prague decided to run a small campaign following the outline given in the Vanguard v1.5 rulebook. This topic should follow the adventures of my small company composed mostly from frogs. At 200 points my warband should include:
Riverguard Dambuster Sentinel
Riverguard Sentinel
Water Elemental
Riverguard Treeleaper
3x Riverguard
3x Naiad Initiate

Considering the Riverguards are most likely to die and suffer permanent injuries I added two more of them to form the company at 250 points including 17 points for items in my supplies caravan. As the neriticans tend to have less power dice than my opponents usually have the idea is to maximize the number by running 2 command models which bring 2 red and 1 white dice, and provide two rerolls.

The other 3 players take warbands from Northern Alliance, Brotherhood and Nighstalkers factions.

6 Likes

Game 1 - against the Brotherhood player
Scenario: Breakthrough, 100 pts

I took the company leader Dambuster Sentinel (with Buckler and Lucky Charm), 3 Riverguards (one of them as a healer) and one Naiad Initiate. My opponent fielded a mounted Exemplar, 2 foot knights and 2 bowmen.

The passage went through a forest in the center with a fence on its right and several small obstacles scattered around the board to provide cover.

The picture shows the situation after the first round. My 3 riverguards are hiding in the forest, the dambuster and naiad behind it, while the opponent just positioned the foot knights behind an obstacle and left the other models in the open. In the second round I moved the riverguards to the border of the forest making a group attack on the two bowmen. The first one survived (attacked by one riverguard) while the other was killed in the hail of javelings comming from the remaining two riverguards. There was just some repositioning otherwise with the Dambuster and Naiad going around the forest from the left side and the knights heading to the fence on the right but getting close enough to the riverguards in the forest. The third round the foot knights started assaulting two riverguards but both of them fortunately survived, one knocked down. There was an exchange of arrows and javelins between the remaining riverguard and bowman without any wounds. Executioner killed the naiad who served as a decoy and detractor. The Dambuster charged the knight at the knocked riverguard, knocking him down but was left exposed to a charge of the executioner in the following round. However, the executioner failed completely on its attack, causing no wound while the dambuster finished the foot knight and then took on the executioner. Their fight lasted two rounds with the dambuster prevailing thanks to another bad luck with the attack rolls of my opponent. In between, one riverguard got killed by the remaining foot knight and the two riverguards failed in their attacks on the bowman hiding behind obstacle. After one of the riverguards got killed by the bowman, the other preferred to run away from the battlefield trying out one last shot of javelins at the nasty bowman without success.

In the end, I scored 2 points for escaping with the rivergard in 4th round and another 1 for the dambuster that escaped the last round. My opponent managed to escape with the bowman and foot knight the last round. Scenario win for the frogs. :smiley:

The two killed frogs (one of them the company healer) were in fact only wounded and were retrieved by their friends under the cover of a night. Unfortunately, they both suffer from hunting nightmares causing a permanent worsening of their Nerve. The surviving riverguard got leader’s commendation, achieved rank 1 and was promoted to be a hunter. When we rolled for explorations we read the results from a wrong exploration table by mistake. We have realized only the next day that there is another exploration table in the rulebook specific for the campaign. We decided to keep the results, so the frogs went to a tavern, drank some beer there and will have their nerves improved in the next game. :grinning:

You may also have a look at my campaign document. The first sheet is my warband taken to the first game, the second sheet serves as my company overview and the other ones will show the game outcomes.

6 Likes

Nice report and well done on the first win. Did you roll for weather at all? The furs, food and snow shoes can be a right pain if you end up underfed and in a snowstorm with no furs or snow shoes!

We played with food but without any weather so far. Our intention is to introduce the random weather from the 3rd scenario on. I am not sure it is worth taking the furs or shoes even for just 1 point. In general, I really like having lucky charms and one does not have that much room for extra equipment. We will see how it goes, we have only little experience with scenarios involving weather so far as we mostly play without this feature.

1 Like

I know what you mean - the actual chances of needing furs or snow shoes are actually pretty low!

Game 2 - against the Northern Alliance player
Scenario: Snowblind, 175 pts

I took the company leader Dambuster Sentinel (with Buckler and Lucky Charm), Riverguard Sentinel (lucky charm), my freshly promoted Riverguard serving as a company hunter (rare mount, rare bow), 3 Riverguards (one of them as a healer, two with lucky charm) and two Naiad Initiates. My opponent fielded the Snow Troll Prime (leader), Frostfang cavalry, Half-elf Berserker, 3 Huscarls, Ice Naiad (rank 1, improved Nerve). I am not sure what items my opponent took. As my opponent forgot his 3 huscarls at home we proxied them with my frog shaman and 2 naiads. I also did not find a suitable model for a mounted riverguard hunter, so I proxied it with a centaur shaman that I use in KoW.

The first picture shows our deployment in the 4 zones, each behind two of the objective markers placed in the corners of the central square. I had the riverguard sentinel together with two naiad initiates and the mounted riverguard hunter together in one zone behind a fence, opposite to them the dambuster sentinel accompanied with three riverguards. The opponent put his leader together with ice naiad and the berserker in the zone in front of him, the frostfang cavalry accompanied by three huscarls in the opposite (more distant) zone. He opted for a strategy to engage immediately my leader and riverguards with his fighters in the Snow Troll Prime group. His leader had to run and fatigue walk to engage my riverguard dambuster, the ice naiad ran into contact (no charge due to limited visibility according to the scenario) and attacked a riverguard as fatigue action scoring one wound. The berserker ran and walked to engage another riverguard. Only one of my riverguards escaped into a near forest. The other opponent’s group also headed in a direction of my leader’s group. I was at the ropes, only redeploying my other group to have 2 of the objectives under my control. The dambuster sentinel somehow managed to score 4 wounds on the Snow Troll Prime, three in combat, one due to toxins at the end of the round, so the opponent’s leader was hanging on a last wound. The riverguard engaged by the ice naiad also managed to put 1 wound on her.

In the second round the frostfang cavalry charged my leader, it barely survived but was finished off by the Snow Troll Prime. I was a bit lucky and then unlucky here as my opponent did not roll quite well on the attacks and in the end I needed to roll 4 on a nerve to survive. Unfortunately, I rolled 3 and 2 (reroll) so my dambuster sentinel got killed putting one wound on the frostfang cavalry while retaliating. The riverguard engaged with the ice naiad managed to kill her and the other riverguard knocked down the berserker, but it then stood up. The riverguard hiding in the forest shot at one huscarl without scoring a wound, so it got charged in response and got knocked down. The riverguard sentinel shot at another huscarl (no wounds), was charged by him in response, lost 2 wounds but managed to put 1 on the huscarl, partly thanks to one naiad that also charged in.

Having lost my leader and the other command model on a last wound my situation looked quite gloomy at the end of round two. I got really lucky when the tablet appeared at the marker in the half of the board “still under my control”, close to the riverguard sentinel and reacheable by my naiads and the mounted hunter. If the tablet appeared on the other half of the table, I was ready to resign. The situation turned in my favor as the rivergard sentinel with the help of one naiad managed to kill the huscarl engaged with the sentinel. The last combat-free huscarl covered the tablet but was brought down by shots from the hunter and then finished by a naiad. The other naiad walked at the tablet, picked it, then later made an heroic effort action to go away with it. On the other part of the board my 3 riverguards were easily killed without putting in a serious fight in response.

At the beginning of round 4 my opponent resigned as he had almost no chance to get to the naiad carrying the tablet. Despite having 4 strong fighters standing (against my 4 rather weak ones), his leader was on a last wound (no success on Regeneration since the end of round 1) and could hardly be risked. I had two good shooters with Pound covering the center through which the opponent would have to advance while the time (number of remaining rounds) was running out …

So, another win but I feel quite a lucky one. My leader’s body was retrieved, surprisingly he is still surviving, with just some broken bones which cause him to lose 1 wound in the next battle. For his heroics in leading the party to a win while sacrificing himself, he got promoted to rank 1 (+1 wound). One of the riverguars got so impressive scars, he will inspire his comrades from now on, so he was voted on to be the company grizzled veteran. The battle went really badly for me, but in the end everything somehow turned out well …

The pictures were taken by my opponent, more of them here.

2 Likes

Great to see people playing the game - I also love that you play Nerticans, one of the factions I really don’t have much if any experience with.

We had a similar experience with this scenario where it went to an area that I had little presence, though I feel that was my own tactical error! In our case a Huscarl ran off into the sunset with the tablet! We are playing the same scenario with Forces of Nature and Basileans next - it will be interesting to see how that pans out too.

I like this scenario as it forces people to spread out a bit - as we both found out it can go your way (or not) based on luck unless you have a good presence across all four locations.

Terrible luck for you on your leader’s nerve too! But that’s why we love the dice element of the games right!

Game 3 - against the Nightstalkers player
Scenario: Capture the Giant, 200 pts

I took the Dambuster Sentinel (with Buckler and Lucky Charm), Riverguard Sentinel (Lucky Charm, Bodkin Arrow), Water Elemental (Lucky Charm), the Riverguard serving as a company hunter (Long Bow), 3 Riverguards (one of them as a healer, another the grizzled veteran) and 2 Naiad Initiates. If I remember it well, my opponent’s party included Butcher Fleshripper (Battle potion, Buckler), Reaper Souldrinker (Buckler, Lucky charm), 2 Shadowhounds, 2 Spectres, 3 Reapers, 1 Horror.

The first round we both tried to spread out our parties a bit, so the giant could not hit too many models when she (we used a female model with a frying pan) moved. The nightstalkers were more careful and stayed quite away, sending only the spectres closer to the center to shoot. My shooting proved more successful as the riverguards managed to put 3 wounds in total on the giant against one scored by the nightstalkers, so I won the round. I also advanced more to the center with my models to keep closer to the giant if she moved into opponent’s half. The disadvantage of this strategy was that I could not keep my models completely off the possible giant’s paths.

The picture shows the situation at the beginning of the second round after the giant moved in the direction of my water elemental accompanied by 2 naiad initiates. In fact, it should have stopped its movement on my models, so we decided to stop it just in front of the elemental. One of the naiads was killed by the mighty giant, while the other miraculously survived and the elemental took (fortunately) just one wound. In response, the elemental charged the giant hoping to score some wounds, but in total (including its heroic effort) scored only 3. The giant was also charged by both shadowhounds whose attacks were vicious thanks to a support from a nearby Horror. In fact, I tried to pull the Horror away when it took a place near the giant, but did not succeed with the Tounge Lash ability of my Dambuster. The rest of my party concentrated their ranged attacks on the opponent and I managed to knock down one Spectre and my grizzled veteran Riverguard killed another one despite not rolling particularly well on my attacks. On the other hand I rolled amazingly well on the armor saves for the giant, so the opponent managed to put only one wound on the giant with his shadowhounds (4 melee actions in total with a plenty of dice). Another round won.

Unfortunately, at the beginning of the third round the giant went again across my group of models that was placed in front of the central bog and included the Dambuster Sentinel and two Riverguards. It was really a bad luck as all other possible paths of the giant would not put my models in danger. As it was, both Riverguards were killed (one had already 1 wound from opponent’s shooting) and the Dambuster suffered one wound. I tried to shoot at the giant with no luck, followed it with a charge by the Dambuster (again no wound scored!) and charged again with a Riverguard in a despair later in a round, managing to score 1 wound. It turned out I made a serious mistake not saving a power dice in a previous round to clear a fatigue from my water elemental. It was standing in a relative safety of a difficult terrain and I anticipated an engagement by the two shadowhounds that were nearby (and also fatigued) after attacking the giant previous round. However, my opponent used the Dread ability (I have completely forgotten about it!) on one of them and the elemental failed its nerve test making him useless for the whole round. The opponent then proceeded to walk with both shadowhounds around an obstacle to get into contact with my naiad and approached the static water elemental with his Butcher. He also charged the Giant with a souldrinker (scoring 2 wounds) and my Dambuster with a Reaper, scoring 1 wound. The Dambuster relatiated, knocking the Reaper down. It looked I would loose the round 1 to 2 but at the end of the round the Dambuster’s toxins put another wound on the giant (but did not managed to kill the knocked down reaper), so the round result was a draw.

In the fourth round the giant ran away ending in between the tower (impassable terrain) and left the edge of the board. The opponent’s model were not able to reach it there but I managed to score a wound on it with my grizzled veteran, so it was another round won for me. Unfortunately, I lost my Water elemental attacked by a Butcher that used the Battle potion in this attack, scoring several wounds and later finishing the elemental with an heroic effort. I also lost the naiad in a combat with the two shadowhounds and somehow could not shoot down opponent’s spectre with my hunter and the Riverguard Sentinel who suffered 2 wounds in the shootout despite being stealthy and in cover of a forest. The Dambuster Sentinel killed off the knocked down Reaper and lashed its toungue on the Souldrinker. Unfortunately, the Souldrinker then scored 2 wounds on the Dambuster, he managed to be steady but failed both nerve tests needing to roll 4 at least once. Once again the same bad luck with my leader as in the previous game.

In the fifth (and last) round the giant finally went across two opponents warriors, killing one of them. The shadowhounds killed my riverguard hunter, the butcher killed my riverguard sentinel while only my riverguard veteran managed to run away into a potential safety. My opponent managed to engage him with a Reaper (run and fatigue walk) but as there was no 6th round the grizzled veteran was the only one from my party who survived the butchery of Nighstalkers and the giant. The following picture shows the situation at the end of the game with my surviving veteran and a reaper engaged with him hiding behind the fence at the tower doorsteps.

Well, so it is another scenario victory but I do not feel quite well about it as the game was quite dicey and chaotic. My opponent almost completely destroyed my party and scored much more xp points than me. I should add I was extremely lucky when rolling on the casaulty table, 5 of my models have recovered fully (though 2 of them had to be ransomed after being captured), only the riverguard healer ended up with a severed arm, being completely crippled and unusable now. If I did not roll so well for the casaulties this win would feel more as a loss for the company …

The grizzled veteran passes one of his xp on the riverguard sentinel, so he is promoted to rank 1 now (and also become a second healer) with Ra improved.

Finally, an interesting note. After the 3 games, I am the only one with 3 wins. However, the other 3 players (including the Brotherhood player who lost all his games) all of them have already rank 4 party while I got to rank 3. It looks that going for the scenario objective is often risky and winning a scenario translates into more losses and less experience points. In this game it was my 4 xp (2 for kills, 1 survival, 1 because the opponent had a higher rank party) against something like 12 xp my opponent harvested. This looks like serious disproportion considering I won the game. Is it really intended.

Congratulations and thanks to those who managed to read through this rather lengthy report.

2 Likes

Game 4 - against the Brotherhood player
Scenario: Canyon Patrol, 200 pts

I took the same party as in a previous game, just varying a bit the items. So, I played Dambuster Sentinel (with Buckler and Lucky Charm), Riverguard Sentinel (Lucky Charm), Water Elemental (Buckler, Lucky Charm), the Riverguard serving as a company hunter (Long Bow), 3 Riverguards (one of them as a healer, another the grizzled veteran) and 2 Naiad Initiates. My opponent’s party included a mounted Exemplar, 1 Mounted knight, 1 mounted Poacher, 3 Foot Knights and 5 Bowmen. The weather was relatively mild, at first we had high winds due to Winter’s Breath which was followed by a Thick snow from the 5th round.

The first two rounds were played very carefully with both sides approaching slowly in the treacherous terrain. In fact, it was a part of my strategy to avoid fighting as long as possible and then use a better mobility of my warband for a fast advance in the latter rounds. The first picture shows the situation at the beginning of the third round during which the Poacher managed to shoot down one of my naiads (farthest model on the left) while my ranged attacks were ineffective, not even scratching the Poacher hiding behind the obstacle which is not quite seen in this picture as it is obscured by a forest tree.

In the third round the mounted Exemplar advanced in the central passage accompanied by all three foot knights. It was pounded down by shots from my Riverguard sentinel but only one wound was taken by the brotherhood leader. I charged the knocked down exemplar with my naiad hoping to open a crevasse there as there was a good chance that it would damage at least some of the knights. Unfortunately, it was only a wishful thinking as no crevasse appeared and my poor naiad was easily shot down by the enemy archers. There was also a shooting contest on the further end of the field but only one of my riverguards took a wound despite being stealthy and in cover of the forest. The Dambuster sentinel lashed its tongh pulling the Poacher to him and then the Water elemental came in to knock down the Poacher. The latter somehow survived but the dambuster’s toxins managed to finish him off at the end of the round. The following picture shows the situation at the beginning of round four with the mounted knight risking an advance through the obstacle.

In the fourth round the Water elemental charged the mounted knight at the obstacle (no crevasse again) and surprisingly killed him off in one sweep of lucky dice throw. The dambuster advanced slightly and pulled an enemy archer to him, killing him off later (the archer survived somehow till the next round). Two more brotherhood archers were killed by the advancing riverguards ranged attacks. The exemplar and footed knights turned back and moved around the forest towards the Neriticans. The picture below shows the situation at the end of round four.

In the fifth round the Exemplar managed to get to the dambuster and tie him engaged. However, my water elemental and two riverguards (the hunter and another wounded one) crossed into the Brotherhood deployment zone. Unfortunately, my riverguard (grizzled) veteran got killed while attempting the same in a hail of arrows from the remaining two archers. At the end of round 5 I was winning the scenario by a slight margin with a 13-12 score. Unfortunately, there was a 6th round in which the Brotherhood archers managed to kill the already injured riverguard. I still managed to get another model, the riverguard sentinel, across the canyon but lost the scenario with a score of 13-15.

Despite the loss I gathered a good number of experience points (also thanks to playing against a higher rank warband), so three of my models were promoted, the leader and hunter to rank 2 (getting red dice and Marksmanhip, respectively), and the water elemental to rank 1 (Me -1). One of my riverguards has also become the company quartermaster.

3 Likes

Game 5 - against the Northern Alliance player
Scenario: Black Ice, 200 pts

I have not changed the warband and fielded the Dambuster Sentinel (with Buckler and Lucky Charm), Riverguard Sentinel (Lucky Charm), Water Elemental (Buckler, Lucky Charm), the Riverguard serving as a company hunter (Long Bow), 3 more Riverguards and 2 Naiad Initiates. My opponent’s party included Snow Troll Prime (buckler, potion of Haste), Ice-Queen (cloak of chamaleon), mounted Half-elf Berserker (buckler), 3 Huscarls, Ice Naiad, and one more model, maybe human clansman, most likely some more items as well.

The deploy zones were separated by a large forest in the middle with the rest of the field representing the glacier with many small terrain pieces, mostly rocks and obstacles, scattered on it. The first round saw both parties running as fast as they could towards the three magic stones at the top of the glacier. The two pictures show the situation during and after the first round.

The second round set the scene for a big brawl around the middle magic stone represented by a statue. I was a bit unlucky with my rolls for sliding as three of my models could not stay in contact with the objectives and slid down on the treacherous ice. Thus, I was forced to adjust my plans as the opponent was luckier and secured the central objective and the one closer to him. In fact, I got one of my riverguards to the central objective, but it was assaulted by the Snow Troll Prime that used the Haste potion to run into contact, attack my riverguard (that miraculously survived knocked down) and than dig in to prevent sliding. I tried to shoot at the beast with my riverguard hunter (no luck), then charged in with the Water Elemental. It caused 3 wounds, which was fine, but the scenario specifics presented me with a big question to ponder. Normally, I would just finish the model activation and do a heroic effort attack later on, most likely killing the enemy leader. Though, I was quite worried that the Water elemental would slip on the glacier and suffer heavily from the break-away attack by the mighty Snow troll. In the end I opted for digging in as the fatigue action. The second round was won by my opponent as he was holding on the middle objective while we both had the side objectives under our control.

The picture above shows the situation at the beginning of the third round. My opponent started charging the Water Elemental with the mounted Berserker, activating his ability (rolling 7 dice for the melee attack) but my Elemental barely survived on a last wound and still standing. Its Retaliation almost killed the brave Berserker, knocking him down. Unfortunately, and as expected, my opponent paid a power dice to take another action which was used by the Snow Troll Prime to finish the Elemental (no luck on its nerve test). In what followed, I shot at the Snow Troll twice with my hunter, the first time to no avail, the second time managing to take the last wound and knock the beast down. I also proceeded with charging the lying monstrosity with the Riverguard Sentinel. I think I attacked it twice with the Sentinel, twice with the Riverguard (that stood up thanks to the warband ability) but could not score a single last wound to kill the enemy leader off. In between, the Ice Naiad joined the fight and the Ice Queen killed one of my Naiads with a Lightning bolt. The round result was a draw but I knew I have a mountain to climb after failing to kill the Snow Troll.

In the third round the Snow Troll stood up, resisted one more attack by my Sentinel, killed the Riverguard that was also engaged with it, and later got healed by the Ice Queen that also managed to kill a second Naiad by another Lightning Bolt. At this point I resigned and still feel quite a bit depressed after how the game went. If I had managed to kill the enemy leader, I would have most likely won the game. Instead, I lost the scenario without killing a single enemy model. To make the things worse, two of my models, Water Elemental and the Riverguard quartermaster, suffered wounds that prevent them from playing in the next game. It means I have to reorganize the party and especially the Elemental will be missing as it is the only heavy hitter that I can field. At least the Riverguard Sentinel and one of the Riverguards got promoted to rank 2 (red dice) and rank 1 (Ra -1), respectively.

The pictures are a courtesy of my opponent.

1 Like

NIce report.

As a frequent player against Northern Alliance, boy are they tough to kill! I think you did well to get the leader down, hard luck on the dice not to kill him. This is one of the few scenarios I have not played - how do you think it compares to others?

The scenario really affects how the game is played. Before the game I though I would have advantage because of a better movement and more shooting (when the model makes ranged attack, it does not matter much if it digs in or not). However, my opponent prepared quite well (opting for items providing more speed), did not hesitate to make a risky maneuver with his leader and in the end his risk paid off. I feel it is very difficult to get through the armor of the warbands my opponents play and to kill anything. My strategy often is to use my shooting to pond the enemy models, then go for a kill attacking in melee the knocked down model, but it does not always work this way.

1 Like

Game 6 - against the Nightstalkers player
Scenario: Tunnel Fight, 200 pts

Since my Water Elemental and the Riverguard quartermaster were recovering from the wounds suffered in the previous battle I was forced to reshuffle my party for this scenario and recruited a Thull warrior to put more emphasis on the melee combat that I thought would be more prominent in the tunnels. My party consisted of Dambuster Sentinel (buckler), Riverguard Sentinel, Riverguard Treeleaper (battle potion), Riverguard hunter (long bow, lucky charm), Riverguard grizzled veteran, one more Riverguard, the newly recruited Thuul (heavy weapon) and 3 Naiad Initiates, 10 models in total. My opponent fielded Butcher Fleshripper (Battle potion, Buckler), Reaper Souldrinker (Buckler, Lucky charm), 2 Shadowhounds, Spectre (long bow) , Horror and 3 Reapers, 9 models in total, and maybe some more items.

We both were running low on food, my opponent did not have any left and all his party started hungry. I could still feed the whole party but no food would be left for those who stayed in the camp, so I decided to store three food provisions for the next game, started with three hungry models and distributed the remaining food provisions among the reserve, so they could bring more when looking for food afterwards. The roll of dice decided that I was to be the defender, so after deployment my opponent placed two objectives as far as he could from my party, to make it difficult for me to reach them.

The first round I tried to exploit the fact that the whole party of my opponent started as activated due to being hungry. I managed to block completely one Shadowhound in a tunnel with my Naiad, so it would have to attack it next round and hope to get through. I also got a long central tunnel under my control advancing most of my party there.

The second round started as anticipated with the Shadowhound charging and killing the Naiad, but I was prepared for it and the creature fell down killed in two hails of javelins (action and heroic effort) by the Riverguard sentinel. The opponent Spectre ventured in the central tunnel shooting twice at my Treeleaper but has not scored a single wound. On the contrary, my Riverguard hunter managed to knock the Spectre down at range, and later in the round the Treeleaper charged in to finish it off. Otherwise, we just regrouped our parties, my opponent advancing in the part of the board where the objectives were placed. While doing so, the Reapers took a position close to my troops, apparently baiting me to attack them. I obliged sending in the Thuul who managed to put one wound on one of the nightstalkers. Otherwise, I kept my party at a distance, mostly hiding behind the tunnel rocks and obstacles.

The third round proved to be decisive. The Thull paid for his endeavor and was killed by the charging Butcher. One of my Riverguards tried to send a few javelins at the opponent but failed to do anything meanigful. It was then attacked by a Reaper but survived somehow on 1 wound and still standing. My Naiad joined the fight and surpisingly managed to knock the Reaper down. Another Reaper engaged the last Naiad and killed it, though it left him exposed to my Dambuster Sentinel, that charged in and killed the Reaper. The third Reaper advanced (I think he was left fatigued the previous round, after fighting with the Thuul) but got killed by the arrows sent by my Riverguard hunter (really bad armor and nerve rolls by my opponent). At that point my opponent resigned. I was about to finish his last Reaper lying helplessly on the ground, so his party would be broken. Most likely I would also have no problem to secure at least one (if not both) of the objectives while he could hope for surviving with only 2 models by the end of round 5.

Besides the win I also got a plenty of xp for playing a higher rank opponent which resulted in my leader being promoted to Rank 3 (white dice replaced by the blue one), the Treeleaper (Me -1) and one Riverguard (Ra -1) reaching Rank 1. Looking forward for the showdown in the last scenario.

The pictures are a courtesy of my opponent.

2 Likes

Awesome job, loving the table! Your shooting did really well, I think it is much better to have shooters against low nerve opponents, is that what you’ve found too?

You can check that I got almost completely destroyed by the same opponent in game 3 (though, I had still somehow managed to win the scenario even then). The Nightstalkers have pretty good armors and nerves. I was quite lucky with my shooting this time and my opponent was very unlucky with his rolls. When I killed the Reaper just before my opponent resigned, he rolled something like 2, 1, 1 in a row for the armors and nerve tests. The game is quite dicey, but still fun to play. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just checked the nightstalker stats (one of the factions I don’t play with or against) and crikey, they have great nerve!

Games need a “dicey” element or what’s the point of dice :wink: I think vanguard gets it about right, nothing beats the shock of a grunt shooting down a command model thanks to an eight train for the grunt and straight ones for the leader! Rare enough to be really enjoyable!

Game 7: multiplayer, 150 points
Scenario: King of the hill

The last scenario of the campaign! Comming to it my party was leading on 16 points (4 wins), followed by the Northen Alliance and Nightstalkers players on 12 points (3 wins) with the Brotherhood player last on 8 points (2 wins). The rulebook does not specify how to award points for placing in this 4-player scenario, so we decided to award the winner with 12 points, and the following players with 8, 4 and 0 points depending on the placement. I fielded a party composed from 6 models, the Riverguard Dambuster (buckler), Water Elemental (buckler), Riverguard Treeleaper (battle potion) and 3 Riverguards: hunter (long bow, lucky charm), grizzled veteran and another one. The total rank of my party was 9. I was teamed with the Nightstalker player to represent the bad side of the conflict while the Northern Alliance and Brotherhood players formed the alliance of good guys.

At the beginning, our side was quite handicapped with most of the Nightstalkers party starting activated due to a lack of food. There was an impassable terrain in a form of an obelisk placed on the central hill that allowed to hide behind it but at the same time made the surrounding area on the hill a bit narrow leaving not much room in-between the models there. On my side of the board I faced the Northern alliance player that started from an adjacent corner to my right. He immediately went for the scenario points by moving his party leader, the Snow Troll Prime, and two more models (Half-elf berserker and Huscarl) there. I followed by moving 2 Riverguards (the veteran and a regular one) and the Water elemental on the hill as well. The riverguards also tried to pepper the snow troll throwing some javelins at him but not even one breached his armor. My Riverguard hunter sent two hails of arrows on the Huscarl from a distance and managed to knock him down. Unfortunately, The enemy Ice Queen hide well behind the forest and her hail of Lightning bolts scored 3 wounds on the Water Elemental. On the other side, the Brotherhood player managed to get several of his models on the hill and was unopposed there as the hungry Nightstalkers did not progress much.

It was crucial to start first in the second round, so I spent 1 power to exchange my card and was happy to get #3. Unfortunately, the Northern Alliance player got #2 and went before me. This gave him the opportunity to charge my already wounded Water Elemental with his Snow Troll, which resulted in a situation the picture above shows. The elemental survived somehow but was knocked down. I used the Rising Tides ability to make him stand and attacked the troll scoring 2 wounds, but the retaliation knocked the elemental down again. Then, one of the Brotherhood foot knights run in from the other side of the hill and finished the helpless elemental off. In the follow-up the NA Berserker charged in and knocked down my Riverguard veteran which was then finished off by a Huscarl. In retaliation, my shooting and a charging Dambuster managed to kill both, the Berserker and Huscarl in two actions (charge and heroic effort, maybe even the toxins helped at the end of the round). From the distance, my Riverguard hunter continued shooting at the Huscarl on the hill keeping him knocked down till the end of the game, but managing to put only one wound on him.

Later, in the third and fourth round the Snow troll and my Riverguard sentinel got engaged in combat which resulted in the Dambuster’s death. My remaining Riverguard jumped on the Ice Queen that got close enough, but did not do much to her. Since the end of round four I did not have anyone on the hill, just kept the huscarl knocked down by my Riverguard hunter (who managed a moral test) and the other Riverguard almost killed the Ice queen but could not manage to finish her off.

The other side of the hill vitnessed some heavy fighting between the Nightstalkers and Brotherhood with both party leaders being killed and the Brotherhood prevailed there in the end, mostly thanks to shooting from the 5 archers fielded by the Brotherhood player. At the end, when the dust of the ferocious battle settled and we summed the scenario points the winner was the Brotherhood player with 12 points followed by the Nightstalkers player (8 points?), then the Northern Alliance player (7 points) and myself just on 6 points.

The whole campaing totals were:

1. Brotherhood, 20 points
  2. Nightstalkers, 20 points
  3. Neriticans, 16 points
  4. Northern Alliance, 16 points

We had no food left, so the tie-breakers were decided by the remaining gold.

3 Likes

Finally, I am also posting the pictures of the parties we deployed at the beginning of the last scenario. All pictures in this topic were taken by my opponents (the Northern Alliance and Nightstalkers players) as I do not have a good camera on my mobile phone.

4 Likes