New Abyssal Dwarfs from Mantic

I don’t like the grotesques. Three-legged things very rarely work out, even when they’re done by otherwise talented sculptors (Mierce has a few as well). That said, the more I look at the renders we’ve seen, the less I hate the grots. There are some good details, and it’s unclear if they’re all three-legged, a couple look like they just have reversed back legs? IMO a better design choice. And yes, it does feel like they mismatch with the larger AD line, connecting to the halfbreeds may have been a better, more cohesive plan. Regardless, I’m looking forward to Angel’s paint on these to see just how much polish they can take :wink:

Also, despite my issues with Mantic’s design, I applaud them for not just making dragon ogres. Y’all want to port over your GeeDub, have at it - better yet, give Mierce your money and use their not-dragon ogres. Happy to see Mantic try a different tact on their own unit … even if it’s a bit of a flop for me at the moment.

Three legs don`t work for me either. They should go other way and make them big and fat, like sumo wrestling dwarfs. But with armor fused with skin, riddled with scars and huge blades instead arms. And in place of belly they should have huge maws that chew body parts of unlucky enemy.

I’m on board with the three legs. It looks weird and wrong, and my primitive brain refuses to accept it as a possible organic configuration. So my conscious brain then kicks in thinking “exactly. They’re wrong. They’re impossible. They’re… Grotesque”. The Abyssal Dwarves have spat in the face of nature and it shows.

1 Like

Those grotesques don’t match any of the aesthetics of the Abyssal Dwarfs. That is what really bothers me about them, they just stand out like a sore thumb.

The shape of the weapon limbs is based on the weapons of the abyssal dwarfs - look at the unit leader’s weapon vs. the Iron-caster’s staff.

The scarring in their skin is the same as the flame patterns on the abyssal dwarf’s armour.

They also share armour designs with the constructs (golem, hellfane).

Beyond that, they’re intentionally nonsensical mutants with bizarre anatomies, as per the fluff.

3 Likes

Hold up… you mean they designed them to fit the lore? Mind asplode.

I think the grots are pretty spot on. Just humanoid enough to be creepier.

1 Like

Yeah exactly!! Everyone went mad when GW made units that didn’t fit with the lore and backstory. I think they look amazing and waiting on my 2020 mega army to arrive

Having seen pictures if them where they are on a white background, they do look better. I think the previous photo of them with the cluttered background was a bit too busy for the eyes and it was hard to focus on the model.

When I have some extra funds I may have to pick up an Abyssal Dwarf mega army.

1 Like

My Abyssal Dwarf Army turned up today… the details are great… Mantic do still cheat a little when it comes to the underside of the models… but I guess that’s why they can keep the prices decent… my only gripe about the boxset… I’d prefer Immortal Guard over Slave Orcs… kinda ruins the aesthetics for me. But the Grotesques and Golems are really nice to build. Butnthe Blacksouls aren’t hard plastic… it’s their PVResin stuff. Which is annoying… lots of plastic cement very little superglue ha

The Blacksouls are Hard Plastic. I’m not sure how you could come to any other conclusion.

they’re made from the restic stuff, same as the Golems, the orcs in the boxset are hard plastic/styrene that you can glue together with polycements… Blacksouls need superglue. I guess we have different interpretations of what hard plastic is… I consider anything Styrene based as hard plastic, PVC/Restic isn’r really plastic in my eyes

What makes you think that it’s PVC?

You should have sets of two frames of models with parts to make Blacksouls or Decimators.

They should look like these:

So, preface everything with the fact that my job at Mantic is overseeing the production of models - including the Blacksouls.

If you have frames of models that look like the examples in the link I posted, then they are Hard Plastic. High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS). They definitely glue together with poly cement because I built the first set that existed using poly cement.

They are definitely not the same material as the Golems (PVC).

And I can prove this easily. Take a piece of sprue and dunk it in hot water for 30 seconds. If it goes soft - that’s PVC. If it doesn’t, it’s Hard Plastic. You can use a Golem arm to double check.

2 Likes

Yep… I’ve just proved myself wrong… colours are insanely close to the Golems… I’ll see myself out…

No worries, I was just super confused about that.

Here’s some fun information, though. Plastic’s default colour is white. It’s dyed grey to show detail. So the colour of plastic is rarely important.

If Poly Cement isn’t sticking, it might be worth giving the sprues a quick wash in warm soapy water. Enjoy your shinies!

(PS. we totally cheat on the underside of models. It’s where the mold closes so it’s hard to add detail, but 95% of the time, no one will see it. Welcome to the 1%)

The models are really good, I really like them, I had some elves last year and KoW was my first Foyer into 28mm fantasy, I got the battle of the glades starter set and felt quite let down with the salamanders and lower abyssals, but I came from 1/24 Cars, Airfix soldiers etc etc… so more of a modeller. But these dwarfs are something else, really glad i picked them up :slight_smile:

1 Like