Newbie Mantic PVC questions

Right, I just got my first KoW purchase that wasn’t plastic or metal, but what they say is PVC…

So it’s this guy I’ve looked at so far:

I’ve made and painted a few resin models before, but this stuff doesn’t feel like resin to me really. But maybe it behaves more like it? I did some searches online, and I couldn’t find much guidance, but I did find this:

So it seems that I should treat it like resin? But maybe some more experienced Mantic-ers here could help me confirm some questions…

1. Does it need to be washed first?
  2. Should glue it with super glue? (rather than poly cement for plastic)
  3. Can I heat it to bend parts into shape? (which I definitely need to do, looking at the parts). And assuming so, should I only heat it by dipping into hot water? Or is using a hair dryer still ok? (which is what I’d used on resin before).
  4. Finally, if anyone is familiar with this kit, do you have any instructions etc. for how it’s supposed to be built? I can get pretty close to the images etc easily of course, but exactly how some of the parts are meant to join on (esp the back/central motor with back wheel on it), and the rider, is pretty confusing, as they don’t seem to fit properly in any location really. I would love it if it had come with some clearer pictures or instructions really! :pleading_face:
1 Like

I assume you talk about Goblin mincer. It is older model, people used to call it “restic” as resin plastic, but Mantic never liked that so it called it hard plastic or something like that. I think now they make it from same plastic as those nighstalkers.
So: 1. I never washed, had no problem, but there is no harm in washing it with soap
2. I always glue with super glue, had no problem, have no idea if there would be issues with poly cement
3. yes, it can; some people use hot dryer, I find hot water much more convenient
4. I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otrkoS56o_c, maybe it helps
If not, here is pic so I will try to explain

Wheels to axies of carriege, engine and chimney part goes on the carriage in the middle, big thing with hole is big shield, it goes in the front, spikes to front and front part of engine goes through hole and drill bit goes on top of that, so it look like the engine is powering the drill. The two large spiky bits go on the top of the wheels, with big pointy bits forward, two small spiky bits go on big shield. Axe go on side, goblin whenever he fits, but I can`t remember where chainy thig goes. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thanks for the rapid response! :smiley:

That helps a lot. I found a few more videos too that were a bit useful now. I think the issue is I need to bend the parts first so that they will even fit together how they are supposed to be then!

1 Like

No problem!

Yeah, sometimes those bend pieces confuse people. I built mine with only couple pics that where available at the time and a lot of trial and error.

2 Likes

@ThaneBobo, great replies. Good that the community is so helfpul.

@Remy77077, here’s one more picture:

The mincer is a great piece of work, love it both on the battlefield and on the painting table. Have one more to work on, pictures will follow later!

3 Likes

More or less covered above, but mantic do resin, PVC and plastic models.

The latter will be on proper sprues, the PVC stuff loose or attached to small chunks of sprue, the resin stuff as you’d expect. The last two need superglue.

Cleaning the PVC stuff can be a bit of a pain - its knife work not files to clean up - and don’t always fit well. However hot water treatment and a quick cold dunk will solve most problems.

Some of the older PVC models have mold lines in tricky places - the goblin mawbeasts from the cav kits had them running across their teeth iirc. Things seem to be getting better though.

2 Likes

A bit late, but here are the promised pictures of my 2nd mincer and the mincer mob:

enjoy!

2 Likes

Hey,

PVC is still plastic… but it’s not HIPS or “hard plastic”. HIPS is high-impact polystyrene which is why poly cement or liquid poly glues work with it* - they are a a solvent and melt the parts together. They will not work on PVC as it’s not the right type of plastic for the solvent.

For PVC you need superglue.

You shouldn’t have to wash them at all - they are injection shot in metal moulds just like hard plastic frames are. The good thing with PVC is that hot water will soften it to reshape (much like resin). Of course it also means that unlike hard plastic sometimes the parts are bent in transit, but hot water is an easy fix.

I hope that helps!

*these are what GW calls “plastic glue”

2 Likes

old topic but for some maybe still useful, there are plastic glues for PVC, for example Pattex Special Modellbau works with HIPS, ABS and PVC

It was a fair way down my paint queue… but I’ve finally started btw! WIP only right now :slight_smile:

Mould-line cleanup was a lot more difficult and painstaking than I was used to tbh with this hard plastic stuff - and I’m used to metal models, but this kinda seemed like the worst of both worlds there. However it did motivate me to get a new craft knife at least! So maybe with a better knife next time it would’ve been easier.

I used a hairdryer to bend the parts to fit together well in the end. I tried hot water but it was taking too long and I wasn’t confident about it (how hot? how long? etc) whereas I’ve used a hairdryer before for resin once and it seemed much quicker and easier for me.

I only noticed during painting later that I’ve glued a couple of parts not 100% correctly… buut eh. It’s Goblins, the fact it looks slightly messy is fine - and you’d have to look really closely to see where I messed up anyway. Plus I’m likely to get a few more of these models down the line anyway I suspect, so it will all add to extra variety in building them differently next time:

Wip Goblin Mincer / Scrap Wagon by Remy77077 (Agoners), on Flickr

2 Likes

Aaaaand done! Actually finished the painting a while ago but was waiting for a plastic base I prefer (with space for magnets in it too) :slight_smile:

Imgur

(more shots on my flickr!)

4 Likes