Nimble and Wavered in 3rd ed

Yeah, my bad, you are right.

Yes, I agree about withdraw. But rule says disengage ANY unit. So I can disengage with Move Back when I am engaged on several side.

1 Like

Indeed, you seem to be right. If Disangage (by just moving) and Withdraw are really two separate options, then the rule prohibiting Withdraw when engaged on two sides does not apply to Disengagement. :rofl:

In fact, Withdraw is also a form of disangagement as it belongs to the Disengagement section of the rules, and it is not performed via a move order ā€¦ :wink:

It is a mess, why the hell is it not yet FAQued if RC was already answering these questions ā€œmany timesā€ somewehere (I guess on FB).

1 Like

Indeed you can, as long as you end outside one inch of all enemies at the end of the move. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you are technically correct, but withdraw has its own limitations so they need to be kept apart for rules purposes. :grin:

1 Like

So to recapitulateā€¦if engaged on several sides, disengage only with Move Back.

If engaged only to front facing, disengage with Move Back OR gain up to 1" free movement (which is called Withdraw) and then execute ANY movement order which is allowed.

2 Likes

You got it.
In some rare cases, a high speed unit might be able to move sideways to disengage as well, but move back is the most likely option as you suggested.

1 Like

So I was almost right the first time :grinning:

I get why they made that rule, but I donā€™t like it.

2 Likes

Yep, you got the core of it.
Other rare cases will always exist.
Like said high speed unit going sideways as long as it ends its Move one inch clear of all enemies, or the square base unit simple making a Move; pivoting immediately, then moving the full distance as long as it also ends up outside one inch of all enemies. Both cases utilise a move order to move away from the foe, thereby disengaging, thereby it being allowed to move close to enemy during the move itself.
Hell, in the case of the square base Move order, you are grinding along the enemy like a skateboarder on a rail, literally zero inches apart. :grin:

1 Like

{ Rant about RC and unclear rules writing removed}

1 Like

Yea, I was being brief and avoiding the complication.

I like to think of it this way:
Withdraw is a free move before you normal move, and it is separate from your normal move.
The witdraw is an disengage and must meet those requirements (right? I may have missed something).

Your normal move counts as starting where your unit is after the withdraw move.

1 Like

You are quite correct.
The requirements for the withdraw have changed already, and so are best not mixed together with the requirements for disengaging, though. Itā€™s its own beast in many ways.

Thatā€™s what I was doing as well :joy:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the contributions, all very interesting.
On a minor technical note its not a sidestep as they are facing inwards after the move, not forward as before after only one pivot.
It is however a rare thing, i assume, as the unit attempting the manover has to be fast enough to get away in half the move, be nimble, be the right shaped unit base (a box shaped regiment)and be facing a smaller based oponnent so they donā€™t clip into the enemy as they pivot around.
In y own case, i didnā€™t gain much, first hand, as my wolves ended up backing into woodland, and the hoard of Ice Naiads didnā€™t have enough space to charge in between the wolves and the rocky terrain on the other side of them. it does, however, leave my opponent with a quandary of who to charge, in his move. ā€¦either one will leave a big flank open if he doesnt kill the unit.