Northern Alliance vs Northern Alliance

I haven’t played a game in a few months now, as I’ve been out of the loop somewhat with health issues, so got very little painting or gaming in. However, i recently got more Northern Alliance with an Army box set and a Cavern Dweller and a Clarion, bringing my total points to around 3900 points.
This would bring my Northern Alliance up to the points level of my Goblins or my Herd armies.
However, to get myself back in the game, as it were, first i will play NA vs NA. as they are suitable to a variety of army types and playstyles. In particular, Human Clansmen vs Frostbound units. With this in mind, i’m going to try and split my Northern Alliance into these units for a 2000 points battle.

4 Likes

Ice Elementals (Horde) 240
Snow Trolls (Horde) 220
Ice Kin Bolt Thrower 95
Ice Kin Bolt Thrower 95
Ice Kin Bolt Thrower 95
Dwarf Clansmen (Regiment) 115
Hrimm, Legendary Ice Giant [1] 260
Ice Kin Hunters* (Troop) 135
Snow Trolls (Regiment) 130
Snow Troll Prime 120

Serakina, the Ice Queen [1] 130
Ice Naiads (Regiment) 140
Half-Elf Berserkers (Troop) 115
Elf Clansmen (regiment) 140
Total Unit Strength: 19
Total Units: 14
Target Points: 2500
Core (Target%): 2010 (99.0%)

3 Likes

The Clansmen force:

Northern Alliance

Human Clansmen (Horde) 230
Human Clansmen (Regiment) 140

• Exchange shields for two-handed weapons, lowering Defence to 4+ and gaining Crushing Strength (2) 0
    Human Clansmen (Troop) 90
    Huscarls (Troop) 145
    Pack Hunters (Troop) 110
  • Exchange Shortbows for Javelins: 12", Steady Airm, Piercing (1) 5
    Snow Foxes* (Regiment) 80
    Tundra Wolves* (Regiment) 180
    Frostfang Cavalry (Regiment) 160
    Cavern Dweller 210
    Lord 110
  • Snow Fox 10
    Thegn 50
  • Inspiring Talisman 20
  • Talanaar’s Standard [1] - Rally (1) 15
  • Snow Fox 10
    Orlaf the Barbarian [1] 135
    Clarion [1] 95
  • Exchange shields for two-handed weapons, lowering Defence to 4+ and gaining Crushing Strength (2) 0

Total Unit Strength: 23
Total Units: 15
Target Points: 35000
Core (Target%): 2075 (5.9%)

Orlaf will upgrade the Formation option for his Raiders.

However, i see that my easy army hasn’t upgraded the costs yet, but that is applicable to both armies, so for the sake of me being lazy, we wont worry too much about that. However, the Frostbound aremy is 65 points shy, so i’ll need something to upgrade the frostbound.

4 Likes

as i have an additional swarm of Snow Foxes ready to paint, i’ll throw them in to the Frostbound army to balance the difference.

2 Likes

Scenario no 6 :Control,

1 Like

to add a little extra spice, i added The Ice Kin Master Hunter and Ice Blade with Snow Fox to the Frostbound army, and as the Human army lacked monsters , i added a giant for them too, both an additional 230 points , so roughly 2300 points each

3 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

Let the fun begin.
Frostbound Army set up: Left flank is Ice Elementals and Naiads, bolstered by Serakina, and then, creeping through the woods are the Ice Kin Master Hunter and her hunters, plus one of the three ice kin bolt throwers , ready to use their scout move to set up a suitable firing window. A further bolt thrower sits nestled against the wall of the tavern with a unit of foxes to secure the back of the battlefield, and the final bolt thrower is in the right hand corner with Half-elf berserkers and Elf bowmen plus Ice Blade holding the right flank. The middle of the field is a nice anvil of Snow Trolls, supported by Hrimm and a Troll Prime, and a regiment of dwarfs with two handed hammers.

2 Likes

Human Clansmen force have opted for speed on their left flank, with their giant secure in the woods, and Snow Foxes and Tundra Wolves ready to charge up the flank, supported by Clarion and a regiment of Frostfangs.
The centre is dominated by a horde of Clansmen, and Orlaf’s raiders, with Orlaf and a Lord on foot plus a troop of Clansmen in support. The Cavern Dweller and Huscarls support their right flank , and on the far right of the battlefield is Packhunters , with a regiment of Claansmen, and Thegn with Inspiring talismen and Talanaar’s banner

1 Like

Frostbound won the start roll, and opted to go 2nd.

Human Clan’s have no magic, and limited range on missiles, so they march up the field as far as possible, hoping to weather the Frostbound storm and hopefully charge next turn.

1 Like

Tactically, the Frostbound would be most effective sitting back and shooting holes in any human in range. However, the Clansmen on the hill causes a problem. The frostbound monsters in the centre didn’t need Orlaf’s raiders and a horde charging down that hill at them. Granted, there was a sharpened stakes barrier at the bottom, but the horde wouldn’t be hampered by it.
The regiment of Snow Trolls would be slightly out of charge range, even allowing for wild charge (1), as it was 14" away. The larger horde would be hampered by the barrier, and the dwarfs were… well how can i put this, the dwarfs weren’t gifted with long legs for speed, and were probably better off hanging back, protecting the bolt thrower and the middle of their side of the battlefield, and waiting until something comes into charge range.
Hrimm as over 14" away from anything, so charging wasn’t going to work, but moving forward and using his breath was just about possible. The Snow trolls walked forward as far as possible, climbed over the barrier and having enough of them on the hill to deny a bonus charge, if barely.
In order to protect the troll flank, the dwarfs also came forward. This reduced the options for that Bolt Thrower but didn’t deny them a shot as the Clansmen Troop was still visible and not covered.
A similar dilemma for the Half Elves. They could technically charge into the Frostfang cavalry, but it would be a flank charge as they could not fit in the space between the unit and the rear wall of the tavern. They would also be hampered after charging over some more stakes, and even if successful, they would expose their own flank to a giant’s charge next turn.
The opposition snow foxes could not charge, if barely, however, the Tundra wolves could charge, if the snow foxes moved out of their way, and that would hurt. A hampered charge by the Frostfang was also a possible threat, but would be tricky.
It was then that i remembered the Frostbound unit of Snow Foxes, and rethought that whole wing. Firstly, the Ice Blade, although inspiring, was poorly used on this flank where the enemy had no visible individuals to duel against. So, the Ice Blade ran away, hoping to sneak around the back using the Tavern boundary wall as additional cover, and seek a possible duel with the enemy.
The Half elf berserkers also backed up 3", to cover the archers, who didn’t have steady aim so needed to stay put . The Snow foxes, also nombly slipped through the gap and plonked themselves down in front of the half elfs. This kept clear line of sight for a second bolt thrower and the elven archers.
The Ice Kin hunters and Master hunter, along with the third bolt thrower were also in position to fire, so held where they were.
Which left the left flank.
Ice Elementals shambled forwards, with the Naiads and Serakina keeping pace. The Elementals were 11 " from the Pack hunters, so too far to Ice Breath, |However, If the surge spell worked for the Ice Queen, then they would be in range to get them.

1 Like

with 8 for her surge spell Serakina rolled two successful , moving the Ice Elementals within range of the newly updated Ice Shards on the Pack Hunters. scoring 7 hits, 5 wounds and Frozen.
The Ice Kin Hunters and Master hunter, all aimed at the Huscarls, as the Cavern Dweller was partially covered by the fencing around the Longhouse. 3 hits 1 wound and frozen by the unit, and an additional hit by the Master huntress herself. Also, the first of the Bolt throwers added a further two wounds to the unit.
Hrimm breathed on the horde of Clansmen causing 4 wounds and frozen,
The second Bolt Thrower fired at them too as they were on the hill so not covered by the dwarf regiment that would usually be in the way. 2 hits , and a further 3 wounds to the horde .
the final bolt thrower aimed for the enemy snow foxes causing 3 wounds and frozen too. The Elf Regiment fired at the Giant thrashing through the woodlands , so at -1, and hit with 3 but no wounds.
first turn over apart from morale checks as no Frostbound were in combat.
Thanks to the inspiring prescence of the Clarion, and a re-roll ,the foxes remained in place.
Likewise the horde of clansmen on the hill.
As did the Huscarls with some bad rolls.
Finally, the Pack hunters, who again were supported by the Inspiring thegn and also his banner. Luck can only get you so far, and with 7 wounds , the troop of Pack hunters fled the scene.

ROUND TWO

2 Likes

Human Clansmen army Second turn. The Clansmen horde on the hill is well within charge range of the regiment of trolls, and the troop of Clansmen can charge the dwarfs, but Orlaf’s formation having been hampered by the stakes are not as far forward and cannot charge, as is the frozen Huscarls. They rolled a 2 on D3 but needed the 3 to reach with their wild charge. The Cavern Dweller is also hampered and unable to charge. The same is applicable to the regiment of Clansmen on the right flank. They decide to hold back at the corner of the fencing around the longhouse, hoping it will give some cover from missiles and charges from the Ice Elementals horde , being a slightly bigger footfall of their base.
On the left flank, we have similar issues. The Snow foxes are Frozen, which denies them a charge range,. However, they needed to go forward to clear a path for the wolves behind them. This they did and the tundra wolves managed to charge into the Frostbound foxes.
The giant and Clarion could not charge either, but managed to get within frost breath range to attack the Elf Archers regiment. They caused 4 wounds and froze them (not that they were planning to move ) but it was insufficient to make them flee.
Finally, the Frostfang cavalry, had benefitted them to protect them from ranged attacks, but even with Strider they could only move into a better position for next turn.
With limited shooting /spells, those fortunate enough to get a successful charge went in combat.
With 18 attacks the wolves devastated the Frostbound snow foxes, by 10 wounds, wiping them out and moving forward to pressure the Half elf berserkers
The troop of Clansmen hit with 9 out of their 10 attacks and caused 8 wounds and the skald who had charged alongside them inflicting an additional wound. The nerve test was a double 6, but as they had the Prime and Ice Blade close by, they got a re-roll of 8, but that was still enough to devastate the normally stalwart dwarfs.
The Horde of Clansmen managed 11 hits out of 25, and 4 wounds inflicted on the snow trolls. luckily, this was just enough to waver the troll unit

2 Likes

The clansmen seem to be performing well. I don’t like the look of them on paper but wonder if they’re better in the formation.

1 Like

Human Clansmen are a solid option. even after CoK adjustments. They area good option for core units, and come in multiple upgrade options, making them a diverse choice. The Elf Clansmen really needed a boost, to bring them on par with the Ice Kin Hunters. Both archer options got upgrades, but the Elves still fell short of the mark , IMHO, but they are worth consideration now at least, as are the Pack Hunters. Certain other units were poor before CoK , and got no love from the update: Snow Troll Prime, for instance, which others could do better for less , and the Ice Kin Master hunter which could have done with some Inspiring. Generally, the changes to Inspiring benefitted NA a lot, making it an even more viable option. I’m still not convinced that the Lord on Chimera is worth its points when compared to Hrimm or Lord on Frostfang. It’s a sweet model, but one i’d not field… ever, even at 10 points less. <290, and i might reconsider.
As for the formation: it looks good on paper, we will wait and see.

1 Like

Turn Two: Frostbound
The Frostbound right flank opted for the Half Elf berserkers to charge the Tundra Wolves, the Bolt Thrower to shoot at the Snow foxes, hoping to finish them off before they could charge the war engine. The Elven bowmen aimed at the giant, as it didnt get cover save from the stakes being too tall. The Giant took one wound, and the foxes two, which was insufficient, but did cause them to waver.
Meanwhile, in the central part of the battlefield, the Frostbound had a problem or two. Firstly the regiment of trolls which were wavered and in everyone elses way, plus the troop of Clansmen that had broken through the line and was bearing down on the second war engine.
Here, i couldn’t remember the rule for nimble and charging. The Snow Troll Prime has nimble but isn’t an individual, therefore, could not pivot before decalaring a charge on the Skald or the Clansmen, so it backed up to give the Snow Trolls Regiment room to fall back also, (and regenerate 1 wound on the unit too) The Ice Blade ignored the Clansmen too, although it could have charged while hindered by the wall . Instead, it went behind the regiment, getting ready to attack the Skald next turn. As it turned out, this proved the best move, as the Bolt Thrower did enough to wipe out the troop of clansmen.
The horde of Snow Trolls also had a number of options. They could flank charge the horde of Clansmen, but if the charge failed, they in turn wouuld be flank charged by Orlaf’s Raiders regiments, Or they could ignore the horde of clansmen and tackle one of the two regiments, which made more sense. |The Snow Troll regiment and Prime would be a tempting target for the human horde, and would give them time to deal with the raiders.
Hrimm followed their lead and charged the Huscarls, leaving the Ice Kin Master hunter and the Ice Kin hunters and bolt thrower to aim at the Cavern Dweller.
That left the left flank, and as predicted, the Ice Elementals would be hampered in the charge, so, they stopped just before it, and blasted the regiment of clansmen with Icy Shards instead. The Naiads declared a charge on the Thegn with Talanaars Banner, despite being hindered by the fence.
The Ice Shards caused 7 wounds, and then Serakina, cast surge on them, pushing the Ice Elementals into the charge, hampered though it was. Once again the Frostbound rolled 12 on morale only to get it overturned on the re-roll. The Clansmen remained for now at least.
The Bolt Thrower hit the Cavern Dweller, but failed to wound. Likewise, the Ice Kin hunters hit with 5 but failed to wound. However, the Master hunter’s arrows were sharper and the Dweller suffered 2 wounds and was frozen.
In combat, the Ice Elementals did a further 4 wounds bringing it to 11 wounds on the regiment of Clansmen and with morale rolls of 11 and then 12, they were routed. The Elementals then marched onward to contest that portion of the board.
The Naiads scored three hindered wounds on the Theyn with a roll of 665 to hit, then 666! to wound. could this luck hold? Their lucky rolls helped, as the Theyn, even with Talanaar’s banner was wavered, and therefore denied a reroll for his inspired presence (amulet).
Hrimm’s attack on the wounded Huscarls only managed 2 wounds,. That brought their wounds to 6+1 brutal makes seven. With a nerve test of 8, the Huscarls fled, having no inspiring presence within range.
The horde of Snow trolls were up next, but there attacks were hindered due to the stakes at the bottom of the hill, so 5s needed. They got 4 hits on one of the raider regiments, all of which wounded, thanks to Viscous, but was insufficient to threaten them. (Their countercharge next turn was going to hurt!)
Finally, the last combat to play was the half elf berserkers vs Wolves. The Wolves took 5 wounds +8 nerve roll=13 which had them wavering too.

1 Like

Turn 3 Human Clansmen. The battle so far.

So just to recap. The Snow Foxes and Tundra Wolves on the right flank , as seen in the final pic of this bunch are all wavered.
On the other Flank, a Thegn is also wavered, and surrounded . Which leaves us with a Giant, Frostfang cavalry, a skald a lord and Orlaf and his Raiders, plus a horde of Clansmen on the central hill, facing a bunch of Snow Trolls and Hrimm, and a Cavern Dweller beside the Longhouse with a choice of potential combat targets to pick from.

2 Likes