Ogre Palace Guard Alternative Models?

Anyone have any good ideas for alternative Ogre Palace Guard miniatures? I’m unwilling to pay $90 for a horde of the Mantic ones due to the lack of variety in their poses. For Vanguard they look great but I think they look awful ranked up. End rant.

I have heard of people using Stormcast, but would prefer to avoid that option since I think they look pretty derpy too. Additionally, I do have a resin 3D printer, so some sweet .STL files are also on the table.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Warmachine/Hordes Ogre can be an option eg Legion of Everblight Warmongers would be a nice base for a conversion http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/legion-of-everblight/units/blighted-ogrun-warmongers

1 Like

I am unwilling to pay € 80 for a horde of six miniatures regardless of quality. I do love the aestetic of the models, only the price is too much. If the price of the model were comparable to -say- Elohi, I would buy a regiment or two, but at this price - no.

One of the reasons I quit Warhammer was GW pricing. This is still the reason I will not buy a citadel miniature ever again at store prices. Mantic has -a lot- more credit than GW in the pricing department, but I do think the palace guard direction of pricing is plainly the wrong road.

2 Likes

That is a solid foundation for a conversion project!

If the miniatures are awesome to me, odds are decent that I will fork out the cash for a unit or two, but probably not to build an army of them.

But I get really price intolerant when I don’t care for the sculpts.

As mentioned above, I would just use Stormcast. Big armored guys and pretty cheap.

It’s not really about price as much as it is about having cool miniatures. I don’t think Stormcast are cool looking.

I found these two files and I think if I scale them up to Ogre size, they would work well. I would have to modify them a bit to squeeze out two more versions to get to the minimum model count.

Once I get good enough at digital sculpting, I won’t be in these predicaments any more.

1 Like

When I use my KoM as Basilia I use Mierce miniatures for palace guard, but they are definitely not cheap.

4 Likes

What a horde!

1 Like

I’m going with 4 of the Mantic ones (inc 1 I have for Vanguard) plus some terrain in my first horde.

The second are some Stormcasts (5 for £5 at a show) with leftover mantic heads. Its the heads I never liked from GW so the beefer Mantic ones look more Ogre and at £1 each from the Bring&Buy hard to resist!

1 Like

I’m either thinking about going full stormcast or using Asoiaf TMG mountains men as palace guard. The miniatures are absurdly big when compared to the normal foot soldier, so maybe 6 in a base with some terrain to bul out the occupied space would look that bad, not ideal but definitely not terrible

Here is 6 in a tray

Unfortunately I don’t have basileans or ogres to compare them scaleswise but they should most definitely be much bigger than humans

1 Like

It is a bit tricky to realise their size based on the photos.

But I think with a bit of work it can work, maybe raise their base up a bit (maybe they are standing atop a hill or entrenchment?) just to make their height 3 a bit clearer