Rathnards True Dwarfs - The Fists of Golloch

I have a confession to make - I never liked Dwarves. Their lore, their aesthetics, their playstyle… all of it was almost antithetical to what I liked in wargaming. Dwarves were just an army that I never, ever thought I’d want to play.

…yet here we are. 3000 points of Dwarfs, almost all of it done in the last 9 months, by a player who can’t stop painting yet more of these stubborn little bastards!

So what happened? I’m not entirely sure, but I think it started with an idea. A dream of an efficient, easily transportable Dwarf Army using the Mantic range. An Army I could take on a plane without fear of it getting damaged on the way. The Mantic Dwarves are perfect for this, with their solid bodies and rounded helmets, so long as I avoided any weapons sticking out the top or sides of the Regiment bases. If i could manage that, I could achieve my dream of the easy to store Dwarf Stack…

The army had a rough start. It took alot of test schemes to settle on a colour combo I was happy with. In the end I went with orange fabric with black armour (mainly because I really dislike painting metallics). Then I got a bit distracted, and spent most of 2020 painting an entire Trident Realms army. Whoops. :stuck_out_tongue:

So by the beginning of 2021, I had barely 350pts and 3 units painted;

But with no other distractions I was committed to getting this army done. And as it turned out, the army was pretty easy to paint too. So it’s rapidly grown since then!

Over time the armies background started to evolve too. I’ve always been a fan of playing the bad guy. And as I read further into their background, it became clear that the Imperial Dwarfs were not nice at all, being led by their authoritarian, expansionist King Golloch. And so my Dwarfs became the Fists of Golloch - the uncompromising clenched fist of their rightful King!

As a fan of personalising one’s army, I couldn’t help but convert my units where I could. One example is the square shields made from plasticard (I really dislike the kite shields). The Bulwarkers in particular are a favourite of mine, with their tower shields and “efficient” spear-armed pose. :wink:

My Earth Elementals are a unit I never intended to add (not so easy to transport), but became a necessity when I decided to take my Dwarfs to a tournament and needed to fill out points. They’re basically made from corkboard and paperclips. Super-cheap, but I’m very happy with how they turned out.

The characters are the only other units I didn’t try to keep compact, since they’re pretty easy to store regardless. It also helps them to stand out, which is a bonus.

I’ve also incorporated a steampunk/technological theme into the army, by using robots from the Malifaux range (like the steam arachnid mastiffs and mecha-pig, above) and progressively more models from the Forgefathers range. I’m trying to keep it mostly Mantic, so the Forgefathers are great for this.

Anyway, that’s it for now. I’ll probably put up more pics later on, but this post is long enough. :slight_smile:

33 Likes

Very cool army!

A testament to how a few bits of army fluff (do people still use that word?) can really bring a force together.

I also love that you built it with a practical goal in mind and achieved it.

My favourite thing about your army? The fact that they have mastered robotics but still insist on using crossbows. Very traditional like a proper dwarf should be!

5 Likes

Wow, your army looks great!
Almost tempting me to start dwarfs myself… :wink:

3 Likes

The dwarfs of both the badger hold and their fallen kin of the lava hold heartily approve of this army!

I like every single army decision, modelling choice and painting choice you’ve made.

Bravo!

4 Likes

The Hellfather really fits aesthetically, it’s a great mini. This army has left me awestruck. It’s a great looking Dwarven army, with loads of extra work done on the Elementals and shields, then you’ve got some fluff (I love that term still - lore isn’t the same). The stacking is next level though - it fits Dwarves to a T and is also eminently practical.

3 Likes

The dwarf stack is terrific!

Great job on the theme, they look imposing and uncompromising. A reminder for my dwarfs of The Fool’s Hold not to cross King Golloch.

4 Likes

I’m happy to heap more praise on this army :wink: Superb stuff, from the Forge Fathers to the Malifaux to the conversions to make the Mantic Dwarfs even chunkier and more brutal (in the sense of brutalist architecture). Hell, the concrete elementals add to that brutalism too (I actually just zoomed in to see if they had rebar in them and actually were animated concrete O_O).

Also have to admire that stack o’ Dwarfs :smiley:

3 Likes

dwarf stacking is the most deadly version of Jenga you can play

4 Likes

It’s such a weird, yet brilliant approach on building an army!

5 Likes

So first thing’s first - Thankyou for all the positive feedback! It’s great to know that I’m not the only one who likes what I’ve done with these guys. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I figured it was time to update the thread with what I’ve painted most recently…

My Steel Juggernaught and second Greater Earth Elemental. While my Warsmith and Battle Driller are Forgefather minis, I feel like this represents my first serious foray into the range, since I very deliberately ordered these from Mantic!

I don’t really NEED a second Greater Earth Elemental. But as much as I love the original cork version, it doesn’t really match the more technological theme of the rest of my army. Hence why a second was needed!

Bulwarker Regiment #2. I actually bought a starter box second hand just so I had enough of the right models to complete this unit! The fact that the new Dwarf formation in CoK 2022 happens to need two Bulwarker units is a very fortunate coincidence. :slight_smile:

My Vanguard Warband, converted from Steel Legion Warriors. I’ve been reluctant to dip into the Forgefathers range for rank & file units, so to keep the technology feeling new & rare for my Dwarfs. But for an elite team of spec ops style dwarfs, I felt I could make an exception!

Battle Driller #2. Rumour has it that these guys will be getting better with the CoK update. I hope so. In my only game with them thus far, they arguably made my army worse!

22 Likes

Some truly excellent and foreboding looking dwarves!

2 Likes

Hey all, it’s been a while! My last update was a good 9 months ago, so i figure i should update with some progress on my Authoratarian Dwarf Loyalists. :slight_smile:

This year, 2022, has not been a great one for hobbying, thanks to adding a third child to the family late list year. Since then, my painting has slowed down to almost nothing. Still, i have managed to complete a few more units, and the army is very slowly approaching 5000 points.

Anyway, on to some pics…

Faber Ironheart, along side my original Steel Juggernaught. A necessary addition after his debut in the last CoK book.

My first proper Stone Priest. Granted it’s a non Mantic model, but he looks much more appropriate than the Dreadball Star player i was previously using!

Ironguard Regiment. I’ve used the cloaks to differentiate them from my Ironclad, but TBH is hard for the opponent to tell them apart from the front. I’m still thinking on how best to fix that…

Throwing Mastiff markers. Because only some kind of monster Free Dwarf would throw dogs at the enemy. :wink:

Stone Priest #2. TBH I don’t love the sculpt. But he was there, so i painted him.

My Vanguard warband, this time on a multibase in case i ever decide to use rangers! If i ever do a Free Dwarf Army (heresy!), I’ll likely convert up even more of these guys for use as my ranger units.

Berserkers - 3 troops made from 2 boxes of Dreadball Forgefathers. I love how these have turned out, so much so that I’m tempted to buy even more boxes and start a Berserker Spam army! :stuck_out_tongue:

Flame Belchers, converted from yet more Forgefathers.

Random Dwarf hero. I don’t really have a place for this guy as of yet. Maybev as one of the unique heroes?

The whole army, packed and unpacked, minus the Flame Belchers and Random Dwarf Hero. I’ll have to get an updated pic at some point. Maybe once i finish another unit or two!

21 Likes

Love this army mate, looks class

2 Likes

love this army so much.

How about using gold/bronze edging on the shields of the ironguard. It keeps the orange and black theme but will make them stand out from the regular ironclad units?

3 Likes

For ironguard vs ironclad I used as many of the command heads and the sculpt with the helmet over the eyes as I had and added a small embellishment to the symbol on the shield (as if they add it when being promoted to ironguard).
You can see mine here.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice @DarkBlack & @Gerrcinn!

I’ve got a couple of spare painted Ironguard (well, spare until i finish the second regiment) so i thought I’d experiment a little with some variations to make them easier to pick out from the Ironclad;

For the first I’ve added blood to the weapon & shield, sort of denoting them as the elite “Blooded” soldiers. In my head they might ritualisticly dip their weapons in blood before the battle to become more intimidating, similar to that scene with the security guards in “Snowpiercer” (love that film, BTW!).

The second is just the addition of some white triangles to the shield. Much cleaner and more regimented, which perhaps fits the role of the Ironguard a bit better? I tried painting the rim white instead, but TBH it wasn’t going to work!

8 Likes

Epic stuff mate.

I love the Vanguard warband on the display base

4 Likes

The white triangles will be easier to see for your opponent.

3 Likes

Gorgeous army!

2 Likes

Hey folks! So as usual progress has been slow, but it’s progress nonetheless!

I’m halfway through my second Ironguard unit now - just 5 more models, some basing and I’m done…

Speaking of which, i did take the time to upgrade my existing Ironguard to help differentiate them from the 'Clads…

The extra chevrons on the shields should help them stand out. It’s not immediately obvious, but it’s easy to see once you know and I’m reluctant to do much more - repainting them entirely is out of the question! :wink:

Once the second Ironclad are done I’ll officially be at 5000 points of dwarves (yay!). I was thinking of leaving the army at that and moving onto other projects… but then Mantic announced that upcoming Big Red Rulebook. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Ambush, Siege and Legendary Battles rules have gotten me pretty excited. So now I’m thinking how i might expand my Dwarfs even further, not just by dipping into the Forgefathers range (and yes, i will!), but also building on existing sub-themes within the list…maybe more of my Cork-built Elementals for a Stoneshaper (pseudo Forces of Nature?) Detachment? Or perhaps going back to the “official” Mantic Dwarfs and further splitting my army into “traditional” vs “high tech” detachments?

In other words, I’ve got lots of ideas! I’m just hoping I’ll have the time to actually go ahead with them…

14 Likes