Ratkin Starter Army

Hey Im converting my Skaven from round bases to multibases. I am really excited to play with the army so trying to make a list from what I have so I can focus on basing those items first.

Ratkin [2000]

Warriors (Infantry) Regiment (20) [85]
Shock Troops (Infantry) Horde (40) [235]

• Plague Pots [15]
  • Plague Pots [15]
  • Plague Pots [15]
    Mutant Rat-fiend (Titan) 1 [220]
    Tangle [1] (Titan) 1 [160]
  • Bane Chant (1) [0]
  • Fireball (10) [0]
  • Mind Fog (1) [0]
  • Weakness (1) [0]
    War Chief (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [100]
  • Aura (Vicious (Melee) - Infantry only) [15]
    Brute Enforcer (Hero (Large Infantry)) 1 [75]
    Brood Mother (Hero (Large Infantry)) 1 [120]
  • Drain Life (5) [0]
  • Drain Life (5) [0]
    [F] Shredder (Smoke, Mirrors and Death) (War Engine) 1 [95]
    [F] Shredder (Smoke, Mirrors and Death) (War Engine) 1 [95]
    [F] Death Engine Spewer (Smoke, Mirrors and Death) (Monster (Chariot)) 1 [225]

Other Miniatures I own include are models that could be used as
Another Death Engine Spewer
Scudku-z’luk, Demonspawn of Diew
Death Engine Impaler
Small rats for vermite
One of Shredder models in the list could also be played as a Spewer
There is also a lot of flexibly about what size base I can put my characters on and what I play them as

Is there anything I should change/add or remove?

3 Likes

That looks like a decent list, but I’m not very familiar with Ratkin.

The best thing to do is try it and see how it goes.
By the time you’re familiar enough with an army that your list makes a noticeable difference you’ll be familiar enough with it to make a sensible list.

1 Like

This is a fine start - lots of infantry, lots of cool square units, shooty formation to get the lead out. At some point you may find that triple Shock hordes can be pretty unwieldy and a more flexible or faster unit might be better in their place (Nightmare horde is typical), but I prefer to play a carpet of combat infantry as well. Not super great at KOW 3E, which is still a game that rewards elite flyers and high mobility over being able to grind, however it’s an archetype I’m always trying to make work, and rats do it well.

I wonder if you get a lot out of the second Brood Mother? A second Brute Enforcer might be good - he’s very good at scenario or chaffing or rallying or even punching I suppose (preferably in the flank) - and then you can afford Blight Staff for mom and maybe phalanx for one of the hordes? You’ve got loads of inspiring so losing one is no issue, and only the one Expendable unit to heal off so double Eat The Weak isn’t ideal.

3 Likes

Okay I was actually tossing up adding an extra brood mother as I had heard there were good. Ive also played around with this list. Ive lost the brute enforcer but gain another brood mother and vermin tide. But I take it that this is probably worse then. Leaves me with 35 points of magic items though

Ratkin [1965]

Warriors (Infantry) Regiment (20) [85]

• Plague Pots [15]
  • Plague Pots [15]
  • Plague Pots [15]
    Vermintide* (Swarm) Regiment (3) [65]
    Shredder (War Engine) 1 [90]
    Mutant Rat-fiend (Titan) 1 [220]
    Tangle [1] (Titan) 1 [160]
  • Bane Chant (1) [0]
  • Fireball (10) [0]
  • Mind Fog (1) [0]
  • Weakness (1) [0]
    War Chief (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [100]
  • Aura (Vicious (Melee) - Infantry only) [15]
  • Drain Life (5) [0]
  • Drain Life (5) [0]
  • Drain Life (5) [0]
1 Like

I think I liked the previous list better, Brute Enforcers are very good - you’re more likely to see those maxed in tournament lists than you are Brood Mothers - partially because they serve as chaff, which this new list is relatively light on, especially as your chaff units (Warriors + Vermintide) are also Eat the Weak targets. If you want to run triple moms, I’d probably pay for or swap for some blight staves, it gives you a potent shooting battery all game (I struggle to deploy drain’s 6" range as an offensive spell). Dropping a shredder for another Vermintide or Warrior reg is a thought, gives you another chaff piece and another ETW target.

Also you might keep in mind that it’s fairly rare to play 2000 points these days, you’re more likely to play 1995. Virtually the same but you can’t run triples of solos - so max two Shredders, two Brood Mothers, etc. 2300 is the other very common points value, where triples are fair game.

Also! On Brood Mother spam, I find it more typical to see Mother Cryza and a Brood Mother than multiple BMs. Cryza is a brilliant toolbox character who can do just about anything.

Also also! I’ve messed with Shredders a little bit … but outside of unlocking the formation to get access to the much improved Death Engine, I still prefer Weapon Teams. Easier to use and less vulnerable than static Shredders.

Here’s a pass from me that does some of the above (including avoiding triples):

Shock Troops Horde - Plague Pots
Warriors Regiment
Warriors Regiment
Mutant Rat-Fiend
Weapon Team
Weapon Team
Mother Cryza [1]
Brood Mother - Blight Staff, Drain Life
Brood Mother - Blight Staff, Drain Life
War Chief - Vicious Aura
Tangle [1]

Easy to swap Shredders back in for Weapon Teams should you fancy them still or have a cool model.