Regeneration - When does it work?

Just played my first game (Abyss) and am aving some issues regarding Regeneration. The wording states that it occurs when a movement order is issued (which is any listed move as i read it), so it seems that it happens whenever aunit activates.

The one expection appears to be “Countercharge”, as this is not listed with the ‘Movement Actions’. But the last paragraph of ‘Countercharge’ states it is a ‘Charge’, so does this count for Regenerate

And if so, why not just say ‘at the beginning of the units action…’?

Could someone please elp me clear this up.

2 Likes

There are several actions each turn, one for each phase. The movement phase is the one where a unit must do something, even if it’s just defaulting to a halt order. Which is why the rule is set up that way.

Counter charge counts as a charge order, yes.

Regenerate happens in the movement phase for all your units.

It’s a bit of a roundabout wording, but the reason is probably to make sure it happens exactly the same time, namely in the movement phase right in the moment before it moves (with not moving being a movement in kow cause they’re orders)

It is any movement order, and that includes charge. If you go to the rules for countercharges, the last line states “All rules that apply in a Charge also apply in a Counter
Charge, unless otherwise specified.”
It doesn’t state that counter charge is not a movement, so you regenerate after declaring a counter charge but before any potential shifting of the model as per the counter charge rules.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit:
Movement Phase

• give a unit an order
  • resolve special rules like regeneration if present
  • unit acts out the order
  • next unit
4 Likes

Formally as you move each unit but we normally do them all at once at the start of the turn so you don’t forget anyone.

1 Like

Yeah thats a quite normal and widely accepted way to do it IMO. Before giving the move order I usually roll the regen, then I do all other regens too so I dont forget, before going back to picking the move order on said unit.

1 Like

Seems like a much more efficient way of going about it, worth trying in the future to see if it saves time as well!

The only reason I can see for why it is written as it is, is to prevent the regeneration result having influence on your movement choices. Eg if one unit doesn’t regenerate enough you would hold it back a bit more.
But that seems pretty niche to me, dunno how often something like that would come up.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that is what the rules are trying to avoid, just written in a very clunky way.

1 Like

I roll before deciding on the move order. But I give the move order before moving on to the next unit. Noone has ever had an issue with it. The rule is fuzzy enough to defend rolling it right before the move order IMO.

Maybe in a high-level competition setting you may be pulled-up but otherwise I’m sure its fine.

That’s right, you roll your regen roll after you have decided what order you are giving your unit so you cant roll first, not like the result and decide not to charge etc.

You’d be surprised how often it makes a difference when you start to play it properly. For example, if you had a unit of Water Elementals on 10 damage and you have a choice between two charge targets - one that can do a lot of damage to you on the counter charge and one that cant. You would play quite differently if you knew for certain before they charged that they were going to regen 8 damage back for example.

It also makes a small difference to where you put Radiance of Life units etc.

4 Likes

You are correct Elliot, and I might like playing it like that against top level players, but in many games it becomes a question of how much energy do I want to use to hold my opponents to certain standards. I choose to encourage/enforce correct (strict) movement in my games, which can take enough energy so that I frankly dont care when they roll their regens. :sweat_smile: