Salamanders 2k

Hey guys,

I’m starting Salamanders and I’ve come up with a couple lists that I’d love some feedback on. I couldn’t fit everything into a single list so I made two. So if y’all could take a look at them and give me some pointers I’d really appreciate it!

List #1

Troop- Ghekkotah Warriors

Horde- Salamander primes
-effigy of fire and two-handed weapons

Regiment-Ancients
Regiment-Ancients

Horde- Tyrants
Horde- Tyrants

Horde- Rhinosaur cavalry

Fire drake

Mage-priest
-fireball
-bane chant (3)

Battle-Captain on Rhinosaur
-inspiring talisman

Points 2000. Total unit strength 24. Total drops 12.

List #2

Regiment- Kaisenor Lancers
Regiment- Kaisenor Lancers

Horde- Scorchwings
Horde- Scorchwings

Horde- Rhinosaur cavalry

Regiment- Ember sprites
Regiment- Ember sprites

Fire drake
Fire drake

Clan Lord

Battle-Captain on Rhinosaur
-inspiring talisman

Points 2000. Total unit strength 22. Total drops 13.

2 Likes

While I love List 2, since it’s so fast and weird, List 1 is a lot better core - at the very least because double Ancients is like the place to start with Sallies :sweat_smile:

I really don’t care for Prime hordes at this point, but they’re there to be an anvil, so you’d probably not want to swap to two-handed weapons. And at that point I might start looking to Ceremonial Guard for your anvil horde, if the goal is to have a high Nv / US sponge.

Personally, I’d probably bring in some of the speedy elements of List 2 into the groundpounding solidity of List 1. Probably a Scorchwings horde and maybe a couple troops of Lancers?

Here’s a List 1.5 I brewed up between the two:

Army: Salamanders
Unit Count: 12
Unit Strength: 24

265, Salamander Ceremonial Guard Horde
250, Rhinosaur Cavalry Horde
240, Tyrant Horde
60, Ghekkotah Warrior Troop
185, Ancient Regiment
185, Ancient Regiment
205, Scorchwing Cavalry Horde
– Fire-Oil
210, Fire Drake
160, Battle Captain on Rhinosaur
– Inspiring Talisman
120, Mage-Priest
– Bane Chant (3)

Lancers didn’t make the cut :frowning:

I am a big fan of Clan Lord on Raptor, could swap the Priest out for him easily, but the BC is good for grinding and this list is more of a grinder than alpha strike.

EDIT: I dunno about Ceremonial Guard actually, I thought they had ensnare :confused: Typically I see Primes w/ brew of strength? I dunno, maybe phalanx and +5 attaks is worth the extra? The Nv brick is nice. Speaking of, I’ve actually been using a Ghekkotah legion for anvil work. Def 3+ is sad but doesn’t matter a lot in a high CS meta, and Nv 25/27 is very tasty! Plus pathfinder is great on a huge unit. Also, I recently was thinking about going Hunters over Warriors for chaff, because of stealthy for a little defensive tech + more light shooting (I love chaff that shoots - like Ember Sprites!)

EDIT2: If you’re interested, Dash28 did both an army review (https://dash28.org/2020/03/28/kings-of-war-3rd-edition-salamanders-army-review/) and an intro on Sallies (https://dash28.org/2020/04/23/kings-of-war-3rd-edition-salamander-introduction/) quite recently. Tho you lists show you aren’t far off in your unit thinking :+1:

If Ceremonial guard had ensnare, I would run a whole army of them! :star_struck:
I looked at the Ghekkotah legion a lot but it seems to hold up the same as the primes but with less offensive presence.
I feel like most true anvils need to have a small footprint to mitigate multi-charge opportunities. I completely agree with the high CS meta and high nerve unit counter play. I also believe that 2 chaff units are as good at holding a unit up as an anvil. So what about The solid core of Ancients, Tyrants, Rhinosaur and Battle-captain with the support of 8 useful chaff units?!

The excessive amount of chaff in this list is good at dealing with opposing chaff and every unit in this list is a scoring unit.
I dropped the inspiring talisman but picked up the scrying gem. With 14 drops and the gem, I should be able to lesson the weaknesses in the list by heinously out-deploying my opponent.

Troop- Ghekkotah Warriors --chaff
Regiment- Ghekkotah Warriors–chaff that unlocks

Regiment-Ancients --Anvil
Regiment-Ancients --Anvil

Horde- Tyrants --Hammer
-effigy of fire
Horde- Tyrants --Hammer
-effigy of fire

Regiment- Scorchwings --annoying chaff
Regiment- Scorchwings --annoying chaff

Horde- Rhinosaur cavalry --Hammer

Regiment- Ember sprites --annoying chaff
Regiment- Ember sprites --annoying chaff

Lekelidon --annoying chaff
Lekelidon --annoying chaff

Battle-Captain on Rhinosaur --Support Hammer
-The scrying gem

Total Unit Strength: 27

Total Units: 14

Total Core: 2000 (100%)

2 Likes

I can dig it, and I have more fun in KOW when I take more chaff. My main thought is to drop the gem to give one Tyrant horde pathfinder and the other j-boots. I love the changes to Tyrants, but still being Me 4+ has had me investing to keep them at 4+ if possible. I also don’t like the gem :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll have to try both and see what works best.

What are your thoughts on corsairs? It looks like they have some serious potential

I’ve seen some serious love for them from big brain GT winners. I think the general consensus is:
a) Troops are really good, especially as shooting harassment chaff
b) If you take 2+ corsairs, you should be taking Firebrand
c) You shouldn’t take Firebrand by herself

They do seem to be 1 pip too low on Nv? Or should be fearless like Firebrand, but then that steps on ember sprites’ little toe beans. Or maybe cost a little less.

Speaking of sprites, I haven’t been loud enough on how great they are. Easily the thing I enjoy most about Sallies is spamming sprites - I did sort of like them better when they could at the double, but fearless is groovy.