Sequencing for Multiple Chargers Regrouping

For a long time I thought that you had to declare all regrouping intentions for all units involved in a charge where the enemy unit was routed - for example, “Unit A is going to overrun and Unit B is going to reform. Cool? Let’s roll for Unit A …” I have no idea if this is how 2E worked and I was suffering edition bleed, or if this was a hangover from WHFB, where I’m pretty sure you had to declare everything first.

At some point I was corrected quite convincingly that you declare and perform each unit’s regroup before going on to the next. It was explained to me that this is also why you can’t pick up two chargers next to each other and rotate them each 30 degrees clockwise at the same time (for example) to maintain their frontage.

In a tournament last weekend, I had a hot moment in a game where my opponent was adamant that you had to declare everything first. I strongly disagreed but did as he wanted (since it doesn’t matter all that much to me). I tried to find a rules reference to explain my stance but couldn’t find one, neither in the BRB nor the FAQ.

The thing is, I find even less to suggest a reading that you have to declare all your intentions before carrying them out. BRB p35 doesn’t tell us how to sequence one unit after another, but it does tell us what charging unit(s) can do and how to do it. I find it far more convincing that you perform each unit’s regroup in sequence, yes, with the knowledge of what happened in the last regroup.

Here’s the relevant passage:

4 Likes

The BRB doesn’t specify for after combats, and so I default to the instructions in the movement phase (since these are movement orders) that you declare each one at a time.

“During the Movement Phase of your Turn, pick each of
your units, one at a time, and give them one of the following
Movement orders. Complete each order and any movement
with a unit before proceeding with the next one.”

The only time you move another unit before finishing one units move is during a combo charge, but that is its own special movement order where specific trumps general.

5 Likes

I think the only time you declare more than one units action is during a multi charge, otherwise I also stick to the “one at a time”. Players who are sloppy with this often gain an advantage over players who do it strictly (limiting themselves to what their units can do/how much they can pivot).

4 Likes

I would (and have against guys involved with the RC) go with one at a time, since potentially a reform might not be possible if a forward/back/sideways dice roll doesn’t allow it.

4 Likes

My take on it is that you are correct.
KoW is very clear usually. If you had to declare them all at once, there would be a rule telling you to do it all at once.

5 Likes

Thank you all! I agree that we would be told if there was a declaration step. Also thank you @Tobiothan for somewhere to point in the rules, I felt like I didn’t have a succinct way to argue with this dude in the middle of a Table 3 game, or even a place in the book to open to.

1 Like

There is no requirement to declare the action of all units after combat before resolving them. You may resolve them individually (seeing the result of an overrun before deciding to overrun a second unit or pivoting it, so on)

Note @Tobiothan that they are not strictly movement orders. However they count as movement for the purpose of things like loot tokens.

3 Likes