Sparowl's Undead Army (more or less complete)

Thst is a stunning army!

What is next if I may ask?

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

Nightstalkers - here’s a mock up I did of a unit of Butchers -

The wood paneling will be across the entire base, I just didn’t bother doing it perfectly. I just wanted a general idea.

6 Likes

I have nightstalkers!
If you like a dark theme along with flying and speed then it’s a good choice.

1 Like

What a fantastic looking army!
And welcome to the forum btw!

2 Likes

Wow!, Awesome

1 Like

Great army! Nice work on the print, paint, sculpt selection, etc. Fun to play ‘spot the sculpt’ - I have about 50% of these myself but there’s plenty I’ve never seen before (including the ones you scanned??? was that mostly basing material?)

Comp-wise I really dig the triple Goreblights :skull:

1 Like

What an amazing army. Beautiful painting and the bases are amazing - I love the name plates. The colours pop on every miniature.

It looks like a labour of love.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve lurked for awhile. Just didn’t have a reason to post until now.

1 Like

I like playing “spot the sculpt” in other forums and the reddits. It’s a fun game. If there’s any you have questions on, I’m happy to try to hunt down the original creator for you to check out.

The basing is mostly RPG maps that I clipped, then used the art to make Lithophanes. It’s a fun process.

I have gone back and forth on whether 2 or 3 is better. I love the 50mm monsters, but cloak of death starts having trouble overlapping.

On the other hand, they are solid little anvils (same defensive stats as zombie trolls and other large infantry), and I regularly put them into something, then disengage the next turn, pivot, walk 6"…and surge into the flank of something.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m slightly color blind, so I tend towards high contrast with vibrant color so I can see what I’m doing. I can blend a little more subtly, but I’m doing it by direction/instruction (i…e, moving carefully up through color lines), rather then being able to see it, and sometimes that leads to mistakes that I just can’t see I made.

So my style tends to be a little brighter and sharper. Which works for tabletop painting, where you’re seeing it from a few feet away anyway, right?

2 Likes

And I’m certainly leaning heavily into those things. Dark theme, and my projected list is about half spd 10 flying (Phantoms, Void Lurkers, Soulflayers), the other units being Scarecrows and Butchers for some beef. And some Mind Screeches.

Actually, that’s pretty much the list.

1 Like

This is the most delightful themed undead army I have seen in a long long time! Fantastic work!

4 Likes

Thanks! It developed somewhat organically, and several of the upgrades throughtout (like the nameplates) are things that if I were to do again, I could incorporate into base design and whatnot, which would come out cleaner. Lots of experimentation - water effects, basing techniques, etc.

All that being said, I’m very pleased.

2 Likes

Amazing work!

Where’d you get the catapults?

2 Likes

Thingiverse object 3917478 - completely free

They were one of the things that didn’t quite fit my theme, but I wanted to try them out. Then I didn’t like them on the table (I’m just not an artillery person in game - ironically, since I worked with artillery for a living back in the day), so I never went back and figured out a way to theme them up (or even base them).

And thanks!

1 Like

Your armiy appears in the newest Community Update by @SteveDeathByDragons. And rightly so! Congratulations!

6 Likes

I woke up to a message about this, and was very pleased to see it. The community response has been great, and now I’m internet famous! (for a given value of famous :wink: )

Thanks!

4 Likes

I’ve put up a new post with my next completed army - Sparowl’s Nightstalkers

1 Like

just saw that, and consequently this as well, with the basing it reminds me a lot of vanilla WoW and assaulting Naxx fantastic looking army.

1 Like

I’ve been there too. It quickly fades😀