Started on a shack and a cottage for my Norther alliance . I finally found the good kind of xps (styrodur) foam

![
Update on my little shack, first layer of paint and a wash.

7 Likes

Did you find it in the US? If so, please tell me your secrets immediately. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

lovely work, it’s great to see people are still scratch building their terrain so many laser cut places about that all the tables start to look the same. is the bottom going to be a viking a-frame style building?

2 Likes

Haha, i bought it in the Netherlands. It’s styrodur CS300 from BASF. I have been on a quest for a long time to lern which foam to use and i finally found it ! The foam when you press it in it should not come back to it’s original form . So you should leave a finger impression in the spot you pressed. I found a black xps foam which feels right to but i haven’t tried it yet and I don’t know the brand of that yet…i will let you know when i do. Perhaps there is a way to get the good foam to the usa for members of this forum , i can but loads of the stuff.

Thank you , and yes they both are early middle age / iron age northen europe/germanic style houses .the smaller is based of a dutch “plaggenhut” and the bigger one is based on a iron age germanic/keltic farm

1 Like

Here is a video with the technique i use

2 Likes

thanks for that, I’ve never tried the foam engraving myself because I’m lazy, but I’ve certainly loved seeing it done well.

1 Like

That’s what I figured but worth a shot. I have spent a lot of time time trying to find a way to get Styrodur CS300 in the US without paying massive shipping fees from the EU. Thanks.

1 Like

I have to try the other foam (black) i know it is a good one to i will find out the brand name and hope that it,s available in the US.

1 Like

you could try to find Ravatherm XPS which is available in the US I believe, but any decent xps insulation foam should do the trick

1 Like

Not any wil do thow. It has to be … uhmm…not sponge like…realy hard so when you carve in to it , the xps won’t tear (not sure how to explain it in English)
…

sorry I know what you mean, you’re right that it isn’t any XPS, but most XPS manufacturers should make the equivalent.
The type you use is the 3000 the technical specifications are the central column in here, so it will take a bit of research to see what other manufacturers versions are called but they should all be available on their websites having had a quick look FOAMULAR XPS 400 has similar properties but I don’t know how easy it is to get. Although the Styrodur seems to sit between it and 600.

Anyway, I’ve spent too long reading technical data sheets and I really should be working :slight_smile: Goodluck in the hunt

2 Likes

I didn’t know the technical parameter that made the CS300 ideal, that should help me find an equivalent. Thanks!

1 Like

Ooh right, yeah i have been trying all kinds of xps. Years back the pink xps from DOW was the one to use. But i could not get it here. I worked with URSA XPS which works but not as good as the green BASF . The styrodur black-foam works great to, this use to be the wel known “bluefoam” i can only find this at hobby shops so far. There is awlso the extruded foam from AK-Interactive but this is awlso only for sale in hobbyshops.

I think i found out that the black foam (the propper xps perhaps even better than the green styrodur from BASF) is called
“Depron Selitprotect” I’m 90% sure

1 Like