Sword of September - painting topic

My weekend project is 16 Early Imperial Roman Cavalry, and my second batch of 20 Legionnaires. Still only base colours done, but starting to take shape. A mixed batch of grey, bay, chestnut and palomino, some with splashes of white on their faces, some with white or black stockings so I’ve had fun painting them all

11 Likes

I’m ordering decals for the cavalry shields so i might leave them blank until then,

Just posting these to motivate myself to keep going. Have done 20 so far and 20 more ro go…

I must admit i really love the old mantic skeletons, the 2 piece units are ok but the more posable ones i really enjoyed making and painting.

17 Likes

So guess who got his basecoat and is ready to be painted? Yep, Mantic Treeherder coming up … and yep that one looks like it is gonna take a while … :astonished:

Those Skellies look great @ClosetPainter ! Would love to see the whole Regiment(s) and/or Horde later :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Thanks @Mikes still lots of rank and file to go. Nice treeherder! I had the opportunity to get one of these and now regretting not getting it. Definitely nice to paint a single monster/ centre piece.

3 Likes

Slowly working on my second regiment of Gladestalkers over the summer break.

14 Likes

2 troops of Early Imperial Roman Cavalry at the final stage now, although still missing shield decals and bases

11 Likes

Right, so, here’s what happened. I had some leftover LOTR Rangers, which I decided to use as Heartpiercers. There’s 17 of them, so I figured, nice PMC unit, gonna look lovely. So I painted them, prepared a base, and started to arrange them how I wanted. What I didn’t reckon with is that these guys are quite large. And I wanted them as light infantry, with lots of space in between.

So long story short, I now have 3 regiments of Heartpiercers, none of which have more than 6 models on them, and I don’t really feel like there’s room for a lot more of them. Like, maybe one per base? I hope my opponents won’t mind this flagrant breach of MMC…

Here’s the photographs - I won’t put up every angle on every unit here, going to share the rest on my long-dead WIP thread.

Regiment 1:

Regiment 2:

And Regiment 3:

8 Likes

Just finished a head swapped special character for a tournament tomorrow
Accordin* to the event fluff he’s a halfling called lucky Jim.
As I’m running him with abyssal dwarfs he needed to fit in, so I’ve gone for a halfling corrupted by the abyss.
Fortunate James is my abyssal dwarf generals personal chef, warped by the effect of the foul, abyss tainted meals he now consumes in huge amounts.

14 Likes

Fooling around with the tree herder … just some basic browns and greens so far and some experiments on the eyes that I couldn’t wait to do …

… I know one shouldn’t do glowy effects in recessed areas … or so I heard, but I really want that Tree Herder to have glowing eyes! And a glowy stomach/chest thingy … and it needs to spin … and I want the music from Pacific Rim to play when he stomps my enemies into the dust … :evil laugh: :joy: :wink:

Well … we’ll see how this goes, if I don 't like the end result with glowy eyes/thingies I can always fill them in with dark brown/black.

Opinions/Recommendations on the matter are very much appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

Kinda torn on the matter … it depends a lot on the room lighting if the “glowing eye” effect actually works with this model … and from a tabletop perspective you can’t really see it anyways, because there’s so much wood above the eyes. (See last pic) Still … want glowy eyes LOL :laughing:

11 Likes

I think they work very well!

2 Likes

i like the glowy eyes, works for me @Mikes

2 Likes

It’s fantasy. Eyes should always be glowing! :wink:

Loved painting my treeheader a few years ago. Hope you have a blast.

4 Likes

You can totally do glowy stuff in recessed areas, just look at your own work!

Adding a glaze around the raised surfaces might help (although it looks great as is).

Here is my favourite video on the matter

3 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement @Telchar , @Nav , @Niall78 and @MechaSturgeon , I’ll keep going and see how it looks when all finished. :smiley: My only worry is that it may look a bit weird without a light source lighting it directly and I’m not gonna install a LED on the base for that … or maybe … nah :rofl:

And yep @MechaSturgeon , the wooden sections aren’t finished yet, i’ll do washes, drybrushing and highlighting and also try to work in some blue tones near the glowies. Hope it works out! And great tutorial video btw. :smiley:

5 Likes

Just finished this guy… doing everything i can to avoid doing my chores… (rank and file troops :smile:)

Just a very basic but clean paint job as im still stuck in whfb 3ed era.

Also all my bases are just genuine Australian outback desert as i literally have over 1000 figures to paint so cant afford to spend time on them.

12 Likes

Good job @ClosetPainter. I did my Lykanis all black with grey shades with glowy eyes, but the “nekkid Werewolf look” works as well, especially for a quick paintjob.

And yep I hear ya, I’m actually yearning to paint some rank and file again now that I’ve been painting cavalry and monsters/titans for so long :rofl:

It’s good to mix things up a bit … maybe I’ll paint some 20mm based minis from Leage of Infamy or do some conversions to pretty up my Seaguard Regiments or another Mage inbetween the Tree Herders, Dragons and Drakon Lords I’ve got lined up. :wink: That Tree Herder I started definitely has to go down first though! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

he’s looking fine @ClosetPainter

I’d second @Mikes assessment and generally sweeten a batch of rank and file by then doing an by individual character for HQ/Monster/block of cavalry/terrain bit. Currently, i’m working on my 2nd 'cohort ’ of Roman Legions, but got distracted by the arrival of some Roman Cavalry, which jumped the queue and got painted first, (although I did use any excess paint of a particular colour on my Infantry regiment rather than let it go to waist. (whivch hopefully won’t happen again now i bought a wet pallet- well apart from metallics that is.)
I’m just finishing off the lads now, and trying to ignore the miniatures i bought over the weekend in Galway for the Sláine Kiss My Axe set.
As long as I haven’t soaked the resins in soapy water, i am safe, but I have a painting challenge to enter in 10 days time… (no pressure). I’m thinking of making a Diarama with Sláine and the dolmem 'Weirdstone" to simulate Cú Chulainn’s death. Cú Chulainn ties himself to a standing stone after being given a mortal wound, so that he can die on his feet, facing his enemies. Due to his ferocity even when so near death, it is only when a raven lands on his shoulder that his enemies believe he is dead.

2 Likes

cu2

10 Likes

Anvil August?

4 Likes