Sword of September - painting topic

I did a little test with my Spider Serum from greenstuffworld:

I guess that Ghoul horde qualifies as an anvil😉

12 Likes

Mummy troop 1 done, apologies for all the pics, just wanna show the step by step making of the base.

10 Likes

Free Dwarf Packmaster (MOMMiniatures) and Stone Priest (Reaper)

11 Likes

Basic colors done, washes and highlighting to follow. Overall the wooden areas should look a lot darker once I’m done. :slightly_smiling_face:

Still torn on the glowy effects … just too much shadow from the miniature itself messing with it. It looks okay on pictures where you can control the lighting somewhat, but if it ends up looking weird once finished in my display case I may go for dark/black eyes after all. :wink:

12 Likes

The eyes and crystal look like they suit him really well. For similar purposes, I’ve tried a gentle drybrush of the glowy tone just around the edges to help sell the effect.

3 Likes

It looks great to me @Mikes, and as you say, highlights dry brushing and a wash can only improve it . I’ve started working on the dolman from Sláine : Eat My Axe and if my end job is as good as this, i’ll be way chuffed. I particularly like the white dot, like a shimmer of a jewel , on the belly button.

3 Likes

Very much a work in progress. I still have not even decided how to base the dolman and shackle Slaine to it to depict the saga about the death of Cu Chulainnn

9 Likes

Work so far on a Sacred Warpstone.

5 Likes

The toned down version. There are a lot of runes on this stone

11 Likes

Thanks @Findol and @Nav ! I ll keep going as soon as we re back from our short holiday trip. Gonna take me a while to finish a mini as large as that for sure tho! :wink:

1 Like

Something Non Mantic , so apologies for that. Hopefully, at some point they will get played, Slaine himself would make a fine Moonfang model for my Celtic Herd army. … but back to the here and now. I’m working on a Diorama based on the Ulster Cycle’s most famous

The Death of CúChulainn…
The clock is ticking to finish this Diorama by Friday for the Sligo Gaming Day this Saturday, and the painting competition. Initially, I was planning on a Roman/Celt diarama, but then we went to Galway, and I bought these in Dungeons & Donuts. The miniatures are for a game Slaíne: Kiss My Axe, but they were crying out to get painted, but first i had to finish my Romans. A few days frantic painting , (and repainting ) has got me close to completion, so I figured I’d better get a start on the base. I can finish the models in situ

7 Likes

7 Likes

WIP of a kitbashed dwarf driller…

He’s way down the list for on the painting queue but thought I’d share as I rarely kitbash so heavily. He could be done better but he’s ok.

13 Likes

Looks pretty nifty so far!

1 Like

Work continues on the Tree Herder … dark/black washes done and I like how it emphasizes the glowing eyes/heart now … will continue with drybrushing and highlighting, but will try to still keep the central areas around the blue parts very dark to get as much contrast as possible.

10 Likes

looking great @Mikes

1 Like

9 Likes

After a lot of painting to a time table for completion i took a break

8 Likes

My new huts and the wattle fencing in the Sláine box set got road tested today as part of the terrain on a 1500 points game with my Celtic ‘Herd’ army vs Goblins. A cracker of a game, and good to know that there are others nearby who still play Kings of War.

i’ll still have to test the Sláine and Hail Caesar games, and play Warhammer 6th at times, but I still rate KoW above the other options.

2 Likes

Work on the herder continues and I’m starting to like how everything comes together.

Mushrooms and Leaves are next … probably another week or two until I’m done, if the little one cooperates :baby: :laughing:

8 Likes