The Herd (updated for 3.5)

I do really like those models but I think they doesn’t fit in a forest tematic army (so I usually stick with traditional beastmen). I considered to use giant eagles as scorchwings but they lack the firing sparks.

Thanks! I think it can add some necessary punch if they can find a flank but being both of them together is easier to react a single angle threaten rather than 2. Next time I will take more photos of the deployment!!

1 Like

I have to think eagle or owl riders are the best answer. Game Zone makes some amazing Elf owl riders, that could have beast riders with a little work :thinking:

1 Like

I’m going to end up with a lot of Raptoryx wings, so might stick those on something with a bow.

1 Like

After several games, I’m very happy with the father. I think the best use I can give him is pairing with the beast of nature and with a horde of werewolves to break a flank while the bulk of the army lie in wait hidden in the forests.

However I see myself in trouble if they’re unable to clean quickly the flank since they’re really expensive and most of times my central line struggles not to get encircled by the higher number of enemy units. Any advice will be welcome.

This is my list:

And some pics of my last battles:

vs abyssal dwarves:

vs elves

vs undead

Now I plan to make a list with centaur chief to see how well it works. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

What are your thoughts on the hydra? I haven’t tried it because I don’t have a proper model but I see a lot of potential as the best anvil you can have for 150pts.

1 Like

I’m very excited to have an excuse to paint my model for it, and I agree that it seems like a good anvil. I do think it’s a very ‘for fun’ pick tho, as its combat stats are not good and its multi-headed rule seems unlikely to do much in most games and is directly designed against by the rest of its rules. If I could make one change to it, it’d be giving it Me3+ so I could hope it’ll get something done apart from holding tokens and existing for a good while.

As it stands it’s one of the last things I add to a list and first things I take out :confused:

3 Likes

I always thought it was the worst monster in the entire rulebook, but it’s true that for what it cost, it can have a chance as an anvil. The main problem I see, in the beginning he can struggle to rout the worst chaff you can imagine, giving time enemy units to flank him.

In any case if you try it, let us know. I don’t like the others anvils the herd has (outside verdants I don’t play in my beast thematic army).

1 Like

Any damage it does is a bonus! 16/18, de5 and 5+ regen is hard to chew through.

Like most titan sized stuff you do need to be wary of flanks, but as a central unit in an infantry line go for it

1 Like

and in which list were you thinking about? I’ve always played my herd army full agro with no room for anvils. But a central hydra to distract a medium hammer / other anvils is interesting.

Forest Shamblers or Earth Elementals pack decent nerve and de on a fairly small frontage, or use in support of tribal spears.

I don’t like earth elemntals; they just doesn’t have the speed to pair with the rest of the army and having 0 shooting I want to be fighting in turn 2 if possible.

I guess the forest shamblers / wild hunters can be a good choice since they’ve scout but I don’t want my anvils are ahead of my hammers (though the main reasson I don’t play them is because I like playing only beasts). Besides having shambling units will require having surge druids to take full advantage of their skills and I see little sinergies with the rest of my army.

I think for me, playing the hydra with tribal spears will be the way to go; some day I will buy and paint some of them hehe.

Has anyone spotted any Herd changes?

So far:

• BoN - now Nimble & 10pts more; Wings now +30pts
  • Scorchwings - regular (apparently due to be errataed back to irregular)

Other thoughts:

• Pathfinder - value has increased with the disappearance of the caterpillar potion
  • Nimble on the BoN is cool, as I have some nice wingless models that are now more useful
  • The Herd has units that are affected by the changes to withdraw

Has anyone spotted any other changes? Or had thoughts on The Herd in 3.5?

Also, this illustration is very funny:

3 Likes

Caterpillar going is great for armies that have plenty of Pathfinder and potentially one less alpha strike unit coming your way.

Elven wine dropping in points makes it more affordable in list building - esp if you can find a unit that doesn’t need a Withdraw to potentially corkscrew?

1 Like

Im still waiting to receive my copy of the red book so no new up to now. But as soon as I get it I will compare carefulley.
In any case I agree, the disapear of caterpillar is going to be a great boost on Herd armes (now Brutes has also pathfinder)

3 Likes

No Guardian Brute heroes? Where are our Minotaur heroes??

No Brutox - Herd needs their angry Titan back.

BON does anyone take them without flying and extra attacks??

1 Like

After 3rd & Uncharted Empires, I wasn’t expecting those sorts of changes (though they’re all things I’d like to see).

One of the reasons I like the BoN/Nimble change (while people go Wings) is that it lets me field my minotaur hero minis as Beasts of Nature and be more manoeuvrable.

Currently, I’m using the Hydra entry to get the Brutox mini on the table.

I was disappointed they didn’t adjust points/stats to improve the internal balance between Harpies and Gur Panthers - I suspect the focus was on other lists.

4 Likes