The Herd: general discussion

yes they are

Some advise with my 2000 pts army list?

The idea is a very fast army, with the Lycans / Beast flanking, the Forest Shamblers scouting where they are needed to cover the chariots advance and some chaff to support here and there. The druids are there to make sure Def 5 units survive long enough and to provide minimal Surge support if needed.

Army: The Herd
Unit Count: 11
Unit Strength: 18

270, Lycan Horde
– Chalice of Wrath

270, Lycan Horde
– Dwarven Ale

200, Forest Shambler Horde

120, Forest Shambler Regiment

285, Minotaur Chariot Horde
– Brew of Haste

220, Beast of Nature
– 7 Attacks
– Noxious Mist
– Wings

210, Moonfang

90, Harpy Troop

85, Wild Gur Panther Troop

120, Druid
– Conjurer’s Staff
– Forest Steed
– Bane Chant (2)

130, Druid
– Shroud of the Saint
– Forest Steed
– Surge (4)

Also considering removing Shamblers and some artifacts to add Earth Elementals and more Surge instead, but I’m worried about leaving them behind despite aditional Surge invest.

Here’s a pass from me that grinds down some upgrades to add Earth Elementals and more surge while also keeping the Shamblers for support work:

Unit Count: 12
Unit Strength: 20

255, Lycan Horde
255, Lycan Horde
220, Earth Elemental Horde
265, Minotaur Chariot Horde
90, Harpy Troop
90, Harpy Troop
205, Beast of Nature
– Wings
– 7 Attacks
210, Moonfang
95, Druid
– Bane Chant (2)
– Surge (4)
75, Druid
– Surge (4)

There are some costs (the list is slightly slower overall and a little more vulnerable to wavering) however I think the upsides are worth it, including board presence and unit focus.

Nice points, not sure if the druids are going to be where needed with no horse and I don’t have so many harpies (but I have a lot of wolves :slight_smile: ) but I think I can take some ideas, maybe I reduce the chariots to Regiment size so I have some extra points for upgrades.

1 Like

As I’ve picked up some new figures, I could now field this list:

I’d probably use three battle groups - one tree with the Tree Herder and two beast around the Moonfang and the Lycan Alpha.

What do you think?

Hi all.

Thought I’d share the 2,300 point army I’m building towards. Sorry I can’t use the Easy Army builder, have to use Good Army Lists which is a bit more barebones.

Mongolian Horde of Blue Sky and Yellow Earth
The idea behind the army being that an ambitious young Chief/Warlord is trying to unite 2 different tribes. The Blue Sky Tribe (Eagle themed) and the Yellow Earth Tribe (Wolf Themed)
The Herd army list, with its core centaur cavalry, Lycans and Gur Panther’s as Wolves, Customizable Beast of Nature and Harpies as Hunting Eagle Packs seems to be the best list to make this.

Unit Count: 17
Unit Strength: 24

Yellow Earth Tribe
160, Centaur Bray Strider Regiment
120, Tribal Warrior Regiment
165, Centaur Bray Hunter Regiment
155, Lycan Regiment (Warriors who have the blessing of the wolf)
180, Beast of Nature (This is a Mongolian Death Worm, so close to finishing but need to resculpt the mouth.)
Noxious Mist
7 Attacks
85, Wild Gur Panther Troop (A few pet wolves)
170, Gladewalker Druid (Yellow Earth Shaman - Focused on Healing and Regeneration)
Shroud of the Saint
Forest Steed
Fireball (8)

Blue Sky Tribe
160, Centaur Bray Strider Regiment
135, Tribal Spear Regiment
165, Centaur Bray Hunter Regiment
190, Beast of Nature (Giant Eagle, enough said)
Wings
90, Tribal Trapper Troop
90, Harpy Troop (A flock of regular sized hunting eagles)
90, Harpy Troop
130, Druid (Blue Sky Druid, focused on calling lightning from clear skies)
Boomstick
Forest Steed
Lightning Bolt (2)
80, Tribal Tracker

135, Centaur Chief (The guy trying to unite the tribes and increase pillaging opportunities)
Blade of Slashing
Saber-Toothed Hunting Cat
Shortbow

In the painting and modeling side each tribe obviously has its spot color. Helping give a semi unified color scheme. The Centaur Chief will be the only one with a unified blue and yellow scheme at the moment.

I won’t be changing the list bar possibly spells and magic items. Most of the points are sunk into the units and the theme.
Strengths = Lots of units, lots of different tools, lots of pathfinder
Weaknesses = No big units to be anvils or hit super hard, low crushing strength,

I am very much of the opinion that in Kings of War the main factor is recognising the limitations of your army and learning how to use it right. I can see some match ups going poorly, but I think, with time, this will be a pretty cool army to use on the table.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully I’ll get more making and painting progress up soon!

5 Likes