Tray Bien: using gem trays for storage & transport

Several months ago, I was trying to open my front door with a 6’x4′ battlemat slung over a shoulder, backpack with books and accessories, box of minis in one hand, and fumbling for my keys with the other and…

I dropped my box.

I was absolutely gutted.

The damage was pretty extensive. I didn’t want to %$@# hobby for weeks. Hell, months later, I still haven’t repaired all the damage. It was soul-crushing.

JUST SOME OF THE DAMAGE. REST IN PIECES, BROTHERS.

Obviously, I needed a better transport system. I also wanted a better storage system, as my shelves were getting pretty overloaded, too.

Well, two weeks ago, I randomly came across this article on using cases for the gem and jewelry trade for miniature storage. As of today, I have a new wheeled transport case that can easily carry two entire Kings of War armies and a whole bunch of compact trays, lined with metal for all my magnetically-based models.

STACKABLE TRAYS IN ACTION

Shelves

MY STORAGE CAPACITY HAS DOUBLED.

Here’s what you need to replicate my setup:

• 2″ stackable trays ($2.85 ea)
  • 4″ trays ($6.10 ea)
  • Carrying case (I got the large canvas one – $21.98)
  • Big ass 4’x4′ sheet of galvanized steel metal (bring a magnet to the hardware store to make sure you’re getting the right kind – $40)
  • Big ass tin snips ($20)
  • Magnetic bases (as required)

IMPORTANT : The 2″/4″ heights are the exterior heights. The inside is a little smaller. The 2″ tray is just big enough for most standard minis, unless they have spears or banners or are waving their swords up in the air like they just don’t care. You’ll need the 4″ tray for those.

THIS PART SUCKS.

Then spend a really tedious and somewhat painful afternoon snipping the steel into tray-liner size. Optional: Should probably spray some kind of sealer on the steel to minimize rust. I haven’t figured out what’s the best solution yet, but they will rust and shed powdery red stuff all over your models if you don’t treat them.

The Shake Test

So how well does it actually work? Let’s find out by shaking the @&# out of it.

You can see a couple models come loose. But it’s only the top-heavy ones and it takes some serious jolting. In the wheeled transport case, it’ll be fine, especially for plastic models.

So far it seems like a pretty great solution for ~$100. I’ll try to follow up in a few months and see how I still like it after heavy use.

(This is a crosspost from my blog, here.)

2 Likes

As someone who dropped an army going into a tournament (from that other game) and watching it fall to hundreds of pieces is shattering. Took me 3 years to put them back together and re-paint.

Looks like you figured out your transportation system. Nice write up.

1 Like