Trident Thuul list

Are there any good tips for building a thuul based list at 1500 points? Also would it be ok to use these models as thuuls, as I really like the looks of them: https://cpmodels.co.uk/product-category/28mm-ranges/28mm-night-terrors/deep-ones/ They are too small for depht horros unfortunately, so can only see them as alternative thuuls.

5 Likes

Welcome to the funhouse, and yes definitely use those for Thuul they are terrific, @MiSiO_1 may be able to help list wise, they have a comprehensive Trident Realms thread including battle reports and the like.
I’m not ultracompetitive so I’d just work on fielding things I wanted to

1 Like

Welcome! Thuul are a pretty weird unit, and suffer from being compared to Depth Horrors, who offer quite a lot for only 25 more points. Thuul do hit pretty hard for their points cost, and can situationally be pretty tough. The best use I currently see for them is troops as light hammers - stealthy is great here, because it means they’re actually pretty hard to pick off, so they’re a credible flank threat. They will need to be combined with an anvil to soak up enemy charges though, so consider pairing with Naiads or Placoderms.

Kyroqsh and Aquamages inspire Waterbound, so you could try a Thuul/Elemental list, using Nokken to screen and shoot off light targets, Water Elementals to soak up damage and grind, Thuul to threaten flanks, and Krakens to threaten long charges and grind out medium targets. Mythican with wings is a nice utility piece, too.

Here’s something I whipped up, might make a decent starting point:
Trident Realm
Water Elementals (Horde) 220
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Troop) 105
Kraken 240
Greater Water Elemental 180
Nokken* (Regiment) 80
Nokken* (Regiment) 80
Kyroqsh, the Hunter in the Deep [1] 140
Thuul Aquamage 90

• Surge (8) 30
  • Rising Tides [1] - Aura (Wild Charge (+1)) 15

Total Unit Strength: 14
Total Units: 10
Target Points: 1500
Core (Target%): 1500 (100%)

With the Wild Charge from the Aquamage, your Spd7 stuff is pretty good at picking its fights and keeping your opponent honest, so probably the game plan would be something like the Kraken, Greater Elemental, and Elemental horde each picking a target and charging in while the Thuul advance and get ready to flank next turn. Trident Realm really isn’t good at breaking things in one go, so you’ve gotta pick smart fights and gang up on things - fight dirty, basically.

It’s a very strange, flexible army list, so there are a surprising number of ways to build with it. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

2 Likes

Those are great lil’ deep ones sculpts. Luke’s list is cool and smart, here’s my take on it that simply puts more Thuul on the table for you:

Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Nokken* (Regiment) 80
Nokken* (Regiment) 80
Kraken 240
Greater Water Elemental 180
Thuul Mythican 80
– Bane Chant (2) 20
– Lightning Bolt (3) 20
– Surge (6) 20

Total Unit Strength: 16
Total Units: 10

I went with the Mythican over the Aquamage because I also dropped the Water Elemental horde (who I really rate!) to focus on more Thuul - while there are still waterbound around, they’re either chaff (Nokken) or a single counter-charger that Kyroqsh can take care of. Speaking of, the Mythican is built to basically be a second Kyroqsh, but with BC for all those crush-less Thuul and Surge for the once per 1-2 games that the Greater Water has a 1-2" surge flank opportunity. Giving the Mythican wings is cool too but for this build his inspiring is needed for the battleline, and I figured adding to the ranged game in early / late turns is good.

I’ve been doing more and more regiment spam scheming as the years go by, and while Thuul are a weird one for it, they’re priced about right with a Me and At stat (and ensnare) to make it happen. Countercharge and piece trading becomes the name of the game, tho there’s tarpit possibility in those Thuul reg.

2 Likes

This is definitely a good take on heavy Thuul, and honestly I’d be inclined to take it a step further and ditch the Greater Water Elemental. Losing the mobile anvil might be very bad, but saving the points on surge is kinda nice, and Thuul troops really are pretty cool.

Trident Realm
Thuul (Regiment) 160
-Fire-Oil 5
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Troop) 105
Thuul (Troop) 105
Thuul (Troop) 105
Nokken* (Regiment) 80
Nokken* (Regiment) 80
Kraken 240
Thuul Mythican 80
-Wings of Honeymaze 40
-Bane Chant (2) 20
-Lightning Bolt (3) 20

Total Unit Strength: 15
Total Units: 11
Target Points: 2300
Core (Target%): 1500 (65.2%)

2 Likes

My thoughts on the GWE was that it could be a mobile tank if it needed to be - except that’s the Kraken’s job in my experience - but was really there to counter-flank things that either bop a Thuul and get stuck, or splatter a regiment and then get mobbed. Frankly a Depth Horror Eternal could probably do that job as well, plus be totally self-contained and cheaper (so surge is freed up).

Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Thuul (Regiment) 160
Nokken* (Regiment) 80
Nokken* (Regiment) 80
Nokken* (Regiment) 80
Kraken 240
Thuul Mythican 80
– Bane Chant (2) 20
– Lightning Bolt (3) 20
Depth Horror Eternal 115
– Staying Stone 5

Total Unit Strength: 17
Total Units: 11

Something like that? I had quite a few points left with the wings, but when I dropped them I discovered I could get even more chaff to help the Thuul get stuck in. I’ve never used Nokken, but when I played Sallies my 4x Ember Sprites win games for me.

1 Like