Unexpected results FoAbyss vs Abyssal Dwarves

I laid down 2, 2175 pt. lists The Abyssal Dwarves were pretty standard built around the new mounted caster with the diadem and 2 hordes of golems, 2 infernal guard, Infernox, grotesques, halfbreeds, a halfbreed champion and a caster. Nothing in the list is exotic. I think it’s a good toolbox 12 Units and 23 US. Average D is 5.11

The Demons were set up a little gimmicky. 2 archfiends and the Manifestation of Bael. 3 Flamebearer troops and 4 regiments of Abyssal guard. 3 gargoyles. The 3 biggies have plenty of crushing strength if not attacks while the Abyssal guard hit on 3’s but no crush. The fire bolts at 18 inch range and piercing 1 seemed ok. With the avg. D of 4.5 I wanted to balance some shooting and heavy hitting .

I ASSUMED THE COMBINATION OF REGEN, HEAL AND RADIANCE OF LIFE , ON TOP OF THE HIGH DEFENSE , WOULD WIN OUT. I decided to play Control.

What happened was that the Demons bum rushed the Dwarves and the game was decided by turn 4! Shooting on turn one took out the Grotesques! Turns 2 and 3 had combo charges on the Golem hordes Turn 4 engaged the Overmaster and both Infernal guard. The regenerating units were killed quickly and the heal/ radiance was no match for the sheer speed and multi-charges. I wanted to push forward to opponents center section with both armies but the 6 fliers let me flank on both sides.

I’m going to replay the scenario tomorrow with the Abyssal Dwarves putting the cav units and hero on one flank, that gives up the abyssal affinity but I don’t expect more than one round of firing so 2 extra shots won’t matter.

If anyone has an idea on how to test armies, NOT UB! , or has thoughts on the list outlines LMK.
And let me be first to say Merry Christmas!

2 Likes