Uses for Warhammer 40k and AoS minis?

So quick question. I know we usually like to proxy Warhammer Fantasy models, but is there any use for 40k or Age of Sigmar minis? I’ve seen people use Stormcast models as Ogre stand-ins, but are there any other minis that can be proxied as well in AoS and 40k, Imperial guard can obviously be used as riflemen (might actually make them more useful than in 40k), and Leman Russ seems to be a more Dieselpunk-Esque steam tank. But what about Space Marines or Necrons or Eldar, or CSM? What category would Kharadron Overlords even fit in?

Unfortunately, Mantic cannot accommodate every model that exists in Kings of War.

Sci-Fi is a very different genre that Mantic makes a different game for. I don’t think those will fit, I’m afraid.

GW has come up with some very unique and “out there” stuff for AoS. There are some great monsters, heroes and large cavalry though.

Kharadron Overlords are very different, but could probably fit in an Imperial Dwarf army with some creativity and letting go of the fly rule in favour of just being fast. Lots of warsmith and ironwatch keyword.

I would use the ships as steel behemoths.
Flying infantry as brock riders or maybe rangers.
Close combat infantry as ironguard. If they have a few guns then with mastiffs.
Ranged infantry as ironwatch, sharpshooters or Rangers.
The heroes might be a steel juggernaut if big enough.
The has to be good minis for warsmiths and flame priests.

1 Like

Anything from AoS could more or less work. Specially if you multibase, as they tend to be bigger models.

The Tyranid range has some interesting models that could work as Nightstalkers.
The rest of the 40K range… I’d say those are conversion projects if you want to use them for KoW

I think the Aether Khemist would fit the Flame Priest role perfectly… if you imagine their weapon as actually being a flame thrower. The Ground Endrinrigger (there are two variants, Endrinharness/Ground and Dirigible/Flying) would probably be a stone priest with the hammer. The flying special characters would have the wings of ever-something (I forgot the name :grimacing:). Admiral would obviously be either Warsmith or King, the Navigator would also fit a Warsmith role too.

The Imperial guard would probably be the somewhat easiest to convert, just hack off the aquillas, and you could call the Cadian armor munitions armor, giving them a more steampunk vibe due to trade deals with dwarves. The Cadian guardsmen can become just more than riflemen by switching their lasgun arms for empire militia arms, so they’d fill more roles than normal with a bit of converting. If you saw the aquillas off of everything including the lasguns (which would start to resemble more like the dwarves rifles if painted with the same colors) you could add some believability. There is some merit for more slightly advanced kingdoms in Pannithor with the existence of Dwarves. Abyssal Dwarves, Ratkin, and regular Kingdoms of Men. The latter being an entire faction partially dedicated to former empire players and players wanting to try new things. Sadly we would have to look high and low for models that would fit a calvary role with IG.

I get Vince’s concerns about how sci-fi minis really don’t fit a fantasy-medieval world. Obviously just slapping in space marines without any changes would cause problems. Tyranids do scream Nightstalker since Nightstalkers are all about fear and our “beloved” space bugs surely represent certain fears that people have. One big problem that 40k has over Sigmar is how everyone has guns and almost nobody has sprues that are exclusively melee. You’re more likely to find places for Aos Fyreslayers over 40k Eldar, and that’s not even going into prices for the models… Yeesh!

They could, but I would not. The average imperial guard has a distinctive modern look about them (lasguns…) and Kings of War is most definately a fantasy-midieval game.

Aside from some very weird monsters (looking at you, Tyranids, who make great nightstalkers) most sci-fi models have little in common with the fantasy-midieval world of Panithor.

I’m pretty sure a good hobbyist can come with something that’s convincing, but simply proxying 40k stuff in KoW is not going to work that well, I’m afraid.

Edit: most Age of Sigmar stuff can find a place in KoW. I, myself, I use stormcasts as Basileans, but the more out-of-place stuff proably doesn’t have a direct counterpart. That said, there’s nothing wrong with using a corpse cart as the center of a legion of zombies, of course.

1 Like

Tyranids were a very popular range for Nightstalkers back in 2E, and basically one of two variants you saw, alongside Reaper Bones gribblies. That’s much less true now, thanks to Mantic’s own range being great and accessible in mega boxes and so on.

Necrons I think would work well now that they have so many combat units. I’d say Nightstalkers are the most likely candidates with a lot of solid options: fiends (snake destroyers) , butchers (three-legged destroyers), mind-screeches (heavy destroyers), spectres (warriors), reapers (new flayed ones about to drop), needle-fangs (scarabs), soulflayers (wraiths), planar apparition (reanimator), terror/shadow hulk (old c-tan), void lurker (void dragon), various characters (crypteks and lords), butcher hero / dread fiend (destroyer lord). That’s actually really solid and wouldn’t be quite as $$$$ thanks to the Indomitus box and KOW not needing as many models.

If somebody really had a burning desire to do Space Marines, I’d say use Ogres and focus on Primaris. You’re mostly looking at a boomer spam army (to represent the guns + the fighting), with like some siegebreakers (blade guard or assault termies), and so on. Not a terrible list, but so many models being big things with guns limits your KOW options some.

CSM … I dunno, I guess you could do (the new beautiful termies) in an Ogre army too? The daemon engines are the part that will port over better than the marines, which are too big for KOW infantry but too short for Ogres. I’ve seen maulderfiends as titans in KOW, you can force a lot onto 75mm :smiley: On the flipside, CSM do have a lot of dedicated combat units, so that unlocks plenty of ‘big infantry’ options.

As for Guard, you could probably make it work with a human faction that has guns + steam tank equivalents. The problem is the lack of a guard combat unit - Ogryns usually fill that roll, but allies aren’t great and the army with humans and ogres (Basileans) I don’t think has much shooting presence?

Final thought, if using Kharadon Overlords as Dwarfs in KOW, rangers are probably the way forward. Guns + combat helps rep all those dudes with guns and also combat weapons.

2 Likes

I was inspired so crushed out this Ogre Primaris list:

Siege Breakers (Horde) 240 [4+ Blade Guard]
Siege Breakers (Horde) 240
Boomers (Horde) 230 [5 Intercessors]
Boomers (Horde) 230
Boomers (Horde) 230
Boomers (Horde) 230
Boomer Chariots* (Troop) 145 [2 Outriders]
Boomer Chariots* (Troop) 145
Sergeant 110 [Bike Chaplain]
– Mount on Chariot 30
Army Standard 70 [LT w/ Gun]
– The Boomstick 30
Army Standard 70 [LT]

Total Unit Strength: 23
Total Units: 11
Target Points: 2000
Core (Target%): 2000 (100%)

Crazy thing is I don’t hate it :sweat_smile: Tho it will definitely piss some people off, and could probably be much more tuned. Love the bikes as chariots tho, especially the beautiful chaplain.

Yeah, the rangers make sense since I’ve been trying to figure out just what even are the rangers in KoW. I’ve seen them on the mantic store but I can’t figure out what they’re supposed to be. Necrons as Nightstalkers are rather interesting, I’ve always thought that they would have been Empire of Dust since they’re basically space Tomb Kings, but I can see the Nightstalker angle as well.

Looking at the Necron range and EoD in the EasyArmy, I can see some easy proxies with the excuse that they’re Egyptian Magi-Tech (Magi-Tech is rarely seen in fantasy whatsoever). Deathmarks I can easily see as standing in for either Enslaved Guardian archers or Skeleton Crossbows (depending on the size of Deathmarks). I don’t know how big EoD monoliths are supposed to be regarding Necron Monoliths… due to the fact titans are 75mm I might recommend the MUCH cheaper Convergence of Dominion (that and you get 3 for $60). The Necron Destroyers might make better Enslaved Guardian proxies, both Melee and Ranged variants, they’ve got the right sized bases.

1 Like

Rangers are scouts that go ahead of the army and spend a lot of time outdoors.

The are good at terrain, lightly armored (for dwarfs) and carry light crossbows plus two handed hammers.
They’re a faster all round unit.

So basically the Privateers are actually a good choice for rangers, they’re lightly armored compared to the traditional dwarves. They don’t carry crossbows and hammers but they do carry pistols and cutters.

1 Like

I think Empire of Necrons has legs, particularly if you’re more interested in the infantry than the new large infantry. Previously I would have said EOD was the way, but that shows how far GeeDub has expanded the new line. For the hell of it, here’s the list I shopped up based on the Indominus box:

Necronstalkers
Fiends (Horde) 215
– Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar 20
Butchers (Horde) 205
Butchers (Horde) 205
Reapers (Regiment) 210
– Screamshard 5
Spectres (Regiment) 120
Spectres (Regiment) 120
Needle-fangs* (Regiment) 80
Needle-fangs* (Regiment) 80
Planar Apparition 165
Mind-screech 150
Mind-screech 150
Butcher Fleshripper 110
– The Boomstick 30
Dread-fiend 135

Total Units: 13
Core (Target%): 2000 (100%)

Weirdly ok! Uses some great new eevil robot minis in a better, cheaper game without entirely breaking the bank :sunglasses:

1 Like

If and when my missing package arrives, I intend to use Mechanicus bits with a lot of other components and green stuff to make a steampunk/abyss-powered Kingdoms of Men army. Just straight using the models doesn’t seem right for the fantasy setting, but using the parts to make something neat seems like it could be cool!

And it doesn’t even break the lore, if the Abyssal Dwarves and Ratkin are doing Abyssal engineering, there’s probably a few humans doing it!

1 Like

At the moment im using GW ossiarch bonreaper range for EoD they seem to fit

Man it’s been a while since I’ve been on this, anywhoos one one of my latest posts I’ve mentioned getting Primaris Librarian and Tactical Marines. Do any of you guys think some of the bits could work well in a fantasy setting? The guns are obviously a no go unless we want armored riflemen (which is kind of misleading since riflemen do not have a defense of a space marine and nothing that advanced exists in KoW). I’m planning on getting one of the 40k Starter sets with my cousin so we can play 40k, I might get some AoS minis or WarmaHordes minis from my FLGS so I can have some fantasy related stuff to post here. (Not to mention the Retribution of Scyrrah riflemen look like a good alternative to the pre-existing guardian models for Eldar).

In all honesty, think the marines are one of the few ranges that really can’t get used effectively - without the models looking very out of place.

Nids, some of the ork ranges, daemons, some guard with weapon swaps, some of the eldar could all find a place - but the iconic marine look would be too jarring IMO.

2 Likes

Good point, unless we went with MK 3 helmets which is not something most of us would be willing to do. Generally Marines are more likely to fit as stand in for Warpath Enforcers (and Vise Versa).

If you really wanted to use marines, I’d say an Ogre army could support it, thanks to Boomers (and actually the loads of guns across the characters too). And in that case I’d focus on Primaris to really drive home the large infantry scale.

EDIT: In fact, here’s my take on Primaris Ogres:

Siege Breakers (Horde) 240 [Bladeguard Vets]
– Staying Stone 15
Boomers (Horde) 230 [Intercessors w/ auto bolt rifles]
Boomers (Horde) 230
Warrior Chariots (Regiment) 215 [Outriders w/o guns]
Berserker Braves (Regiment) 140 [Assault Intercessors w/o pistols]
Berserker Braves (Regiment) 140
Boomers (Regiment) 140
Boomers (Regiment) 140

Nomagarok [1] 140 [Librarian]
Berserker Bully 130 [Assault Intercessor Sgt w/ lightning claws, or fist, or hammer, or etc]
Sergeant 110 [Biker Chaplain w/o guns]
– Mount on Chariot 30
Boomer Sergeant 90 [Lt or Capt w/ rifle]
– Inspiring Talisman 20

Total Units: 12

EDIT2: The chariot regiment could easily be boomer chariots, but since I was removing the guns from the (really wonderful) biker chaplain, I felt like the precedent was set to use outriders as another hammer for the army, which is probably warranted by the strong thicc chaff elements.

1 Like

Lets think outside the box for a little: just because models have guns, it doesnt mean that they have to shoot in game. Perhaps they are low on ammo for long range shooting or use their guns in short range firefight.

So, you can perhaps use stats of units with Crushing Strength, like ork greatax, to represent their close range combat because melee can represent more that just hacking and slashing.

1 Like

If doing it, paint the marines as statutes and mainly use EoD guardian units?