VigoTheButch and Nature Friends

Fantastic work and a nice presentation of the whole process! :+1: I also like the very natural color scheme you chose for the salamanders. You mention a unicorn in the OP, has it already featured in any of the pictures. I cannot wait to see what model (3d print?) you will use for it as I myself look for a suitable model.

1 Like

Yes, the Unicorn was in the first pile of models shot but that was the only time it was shown. Here’s how mine looks primed:

I’m not using a typical style of Unicorn though…

1 Like

Day 7 was productive. Finished the first horde of Salamanders! The second should go much faster since I don’t need to erase a days worth of work on a failed color scheme or spend way too much time messing with colors over the week. Could have taken these models a lot further, but I’m on a clock and don’t have the time to spend unfortunately.

Didn’t start the bases but I did paint both of the Water Elementals. So that’s technically two units today!

4 Likes

Thanks for the picture. The unicorn looks nice but not exactly what I am looking for. This one looks a bit too undead and touched by chaos to my taste. Still a nice model and good to see what other people use.

Figured as much, like I said I’m not using a traditional style. This is a force that will mesh with the Wiltfather and be allies to my Undead so it works here.

They do have a non-corrupted version in the same range: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-unicorn-99137

1 Like

Beatiful rocketpig model

1 Like

Rocket Pig does good work. There’s going to be a lot of their models in this army.

1 Like

Day 8 and despite having less time than expected to work today, progress is flying. Now that I know what the end product looks like, I can work other areas into existing steps. I will basically be starting off tomorrow half way through Day 3’s work and get to skip the majority of Day 5’s work as it will be done alongside other steps. Yay for efficiency!

3 Likes

Awesome!

And an incredible amount of efficiency. I think many painters would love to be able to paint a horde in a few days.

Compliments.

Vince

1 Like

Great progress! Really love watching this army come together, and you’ve got me coming back to this forum daily to check in :wink: Excited to see how your basing comes together, as I’m sure you are too.

1 Like

I’m excited to get to the basing stage. That’s one of the carrots pushing me on. After a few rounds of batch painting it is really nice to totally switch gears and prep some multibases.

Day 9 and good progress continues. Changed up a lot of the steps so I won’t be on to the oil wash until tomorrow but there’s so much less to do on the back end now.

2 Likes

Looking really good!
Out of interest sake, what are you using to hold the minis on the washing pegs?

1 Like

Thanks! I’m using hot glue to mount them to the pegs. My friend came up with this and it works well.

Oh that is great, and they come off it easily enough? Without breaking?

I hit them with a hair dryer for a few seconds to soften the glue a bit and they come right off. The resin I used for printing these is quite brittle and I have not had any breaks related to depegging them.

Day 10 and I finished the skin and processed the oil wash step. Tried Abteilung oil paint for this instead of my normal Winsor and Newton oil paint and I am a fan. Will be picking up more colors for sure. Also finished the prep work on the Hydra. Tried a new gap filling technique using white Milliput mixed with Isopropyl alcohol and it made a fairly good filler paste that was very easy to feather and smooth. The final test will be after the prime and zenith but for now I am hopeful that this will become a go to method for me. Moving on to details tomorrow.

2 Likes

Been waiting to see some paint on that hydra so I can better make out its details. I’m a big hydra fan and have many different sculpts, this lad looks like a good base size match if really boney! (Also just realized it might be corrupted / undead to match that unicorn …)

1 Like

I blame you and this thread for finally making me decide to get a 3D printer. :wink:
The army is looking great!

1 Like

Yes, this is a skeletal Hydra to go with the Unicorn. I scaled this model way down to fit on a 75mm. The rock base is 74mm wide actually. It’s nice that the initial size of the model is mostly irrelevant. I’m going to prime it tonight so I can take a better photo it. Gray resin isn’t very photogenic.

I might print out the “living” versions too and only use these as Undead allies. Depends on how they turn out.