VigoTheButch and Nature Friends

I accept this blame. :grin:

Welcome to 3D printing! Which printer are you getting?

Here you go, a better photo of the skeletal Hydra:

2 Likes

Day 11 saw the final prep and priming of the Hydra as well as the completion of the fins, eyes, teeth, and crotch banners of the Salamanders. Good progress today. Thereā€™s a slim but real chance I might be able to finish them tomorrow which is heartening as I grow tired of painting these models, lolz.

3 Likes

Your stuff are looking great as always!

You mentioned an ā€œoil wash stepā€, I am not familiar with this technique. Would you mind explaining it? Or perhaps point to a demo/tut vid/article?

Iā€™m still on the fence between the Anycubic Photon S or Elegoo Mars. Both seem to be good.

I have an Elegoo Mars and it has been a good machine so far. The Photon S uses a proprietary slicing software that doesnā€™t seem to be great. The Mars can accept a range of slicer files. That alone would stop me from getting an S.

Yes, I am a big fan of this technique. Hereā€™s a starter video: https://youtu.be/7uxfqXql-gg

A basic explanation though is that you mix oil paint and mineral spirits to make a very thin wash, apply on the model, and then wipe off what you donā€™t want. This keeps your highlights intact unlike an acrylic wash which darkens everything.

I know a few people that have the S and the prints look really good. The Mars was the one I was thinking more about, but didnā€™t know anyone with one. Knowing that your minis where printed with a Mars is a plus.

1 Like

Marketing hype aside, all the small resin printers like these are basically using the same hardware on the inside. The quality of the final printed mini has more to do with the personā€™s technique/skill than the machine itself. I still have a lot to learn but have been really trying to get good at this since I received the printer four months ago

Found out today that Adepticon has been cancelled, therefore no event for this project to compete at. This is a big bummer and really took the wind out of my sails. I think I will take the night off from painting and rest. I will still finish the army but I donā€™t need to push myself anymore.

Thanks for the vid! Looks really interesting, will try out sometime

1 Like

I think you will like it, it has really become a standard technique for me. Also, most tutorials tell you to gloss varnish the miniatures before oil washing. I have stopped doing this for the most part as I donā€™t find it to be necessary. Youā€™ll have to experiment for yourself though.

I ā€¦ thought about telling you but didnā€™t want to kill your momentum :disappointed_relieved:

Related, Iā€™m telling myself Iā€™m about to get SO MUCH PAINTING done as I go into 3+ weeks of telecommuting and all my social events have been cancelled. Spoilers, without an event to paint towards Iā€™m not 100% sure I can trick myself into painting too much :confused:

2 Likes

Heyyyyyy man, have you made it back to this project yet? Iā€™m doing a bunch of planning for when I get my printer later this year, and keep thinking about your lizards. Anyway, figured that warranted a poke to see where youā€™re at.

In related news, been tackling old backlogged projects myself, trying to not start new stuff. Which, while fundamentally a good thing, also doesnā€™t bring with it all that much excitement or energy :confused:

2 Likes

I got distracted printing robots and finishing some other things, lol. No meaningful progress on this one yet but I have to finish them before I clean my hobby desk and Iā€™m running out of room fastā€¦

If youā€™re going resin for your printer, I have gone through two bottles of Siraya Fast gray and it is amazing for minis. The Elegoo Standard gray I used for these Salamanders is too brittle.

Hope you are doing well!

2 Likes

Did you make a choice yet? I still vouch for the Mars.