Visibly Riley's Batreps

While I’ve known about this forum for a bit, I haven’t spent much time here. I’m looking to change that with including this as another place where I post my batreps when they’re fresh (of course, you could always subscribe to my channel to get those updates as well as increase my visibility to other Rileys who might be interested).

5 Likes

Here we are with another 3rd-ed batrep, but while basking in the glory that is my hopes for Diablo IV I just don’t know what to say about it. There are two armies, we play a scenario, and none of us threaten the gentle nature of the world for selfish gain. Well, those of us not being booed at baseball games that is…

Anyway, as always I hope you enjoy the report—even if new primal evils are stirring…

PS: Some of you may have seen the efforts of Dan Miner to get a GoFundMe for me going in order to attend the US Masters. I had a hard time swallowing my pride and accepting his gracious help as a dolly vacation ranks somehow behind 'merica’s excellent healthcare system, recouping from my car exploding (Seattle’s mass transit is a joke) this year, and of course buying more dollies to make my special dress-up time videos for all of you! But here I am, on my metaphorical knees, begging for change in order to experience the WONDER that is the US meta on a whole.
So, if you feel like basking in my glorious humility in person at the Masters this year, consider clicking the GoFundMe link below and dropping whatever cough drops and loose change you can afford. Know that I’ll be ever grateful even if unable to show how much.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/send-visibly-riley-to-the-us-masters?

Batrep link for 10-29-19: https://youtu.be/pRbDy50fdTA

5 Likes

Ain’t that the truth, good dark lords, that cinematic …

I appreciate your reports dude, thanks for keeping them up into 3E, and for popping into this forum. I’ll see about tossing some bucks your way for travel money, would be groovy to meet you in person at the big throwdown (I’ll be in the side tournament with the cool kids).

1 Like

And we’re back with a slightly tinny batrep, but without enough time/energy to record it again! Join us this week as the Empire of Dust—something you’ll likely be seeing a fair amount of from me in the near future—take on some dirty goblins. Are the lists good? Maybe. Are they jewel-like objects of wonder? Yes! Did I write both of them? Double yes!

As always, enjoy!

Batrep for 11-13-19: https://youtu.be/kxgBTbcVFFk

3 Likes

You have to get those armies painted. If people want to look at a bunch of unpainted armies, they can look at their own.
:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Wouldn’t want you to feel uncomfortable.

2 Likes

I really enjoy your battle reports, keep them coming!

1 Like

Thanks for another report Riley, didn’t seem overly tinny to me.

I agree with your calls for progressively scored scenarios, end-of-game scoring is pretty uninspiring and continues to favor shooting and fast elite flyers, which frankly was 2E’s meta that I thought we were moving away from. As a related aside, I play Kill Team every Monday, but at this point I’ve winnowed down the 100+ missions to just the fistful that use progressive scoring, and the experience is so much better, with much more dynamic games where both sides are engaged and you are rarely rewarded for sitting still. There’s plenty of evidence that the RC wants KOW 3E to be that as well, dynamic and with constant movement and maneuvering, but like you’ve been saying, not many of the missions actually reward it until Turn 6’s scramble.

3 Likes

A long break deserves a long video! I’m back and ready to share my first tournament experience in v3 Kings of War. Join me as I pilot a suspiciously Egyptian Undead army and fight off hordes of ravenous Ratkin, bastard Basilea, and tried n’ true Trident Realm.

As always, enjoy!

Batrep link

7 Likes

Oh man ! I was watching your video last night (and fall asleep at the basilean game lol).

Thank you for your video, really cool to watch.

1 Like

Got through Game 2 last night, glad to hear from you again. I boggled a bit at that rat list, but hey, taking obviously good stuff is obviously good (though I agree, it’s certainly not perfect). Related, still waiting to see what you do with your rats, I actually got into your reports because you were spamming slave regiments and running Ratkin differently than the 2x shock troop horde + 1x blight horde + 3x weapon team + 2x death engines + 15-21 lightning bolt + demonspawn + X clawshots meta.

1 Like

The answer is I probably won’t be doing much with them for the time being. The vast majority of my painted rats have been converted to AoS while the remainder have been removed from the game (although I’m not terribly upset about the loss of Blight). Couple that with the changes Ratkin as a force have undergone and you can see that the type of army I ran is no longer a thing. This is pretty exciting for people who “main” Ratkin, but just a lot of work for people who army hop such as I do. If you’re interested in where my ideas for Ratkin have gone, my latest army for them looks like this:

Army: Ratkin
Unit Strength: 21

160, Warrior Horde
– Plague Pots
160, Warrior Horde
– Plague Pots
245, Tunnel Runner Regiment
– Brew of Sharpness
220, Tunnel Runner Regiment
– Pipes of Terror
120, Brood Mother
120, Brood Mother
220, Mutant Rat-fiend
220, Mutant Rat-fiend
65, Vermintide Regiment
65, Vermintide Regiment
65, Vermintide Regiment
65, Vermintide Regiment
345, Scudku-z’luk, Demonspawn of Diew
115, Scurrier Troop
115, Scurrier Troop

It hits hard, utilizes the Scurriers as early screens for the Tunnel Runners or objective grabbers in games where that’s not necessary. Scud—despite the terrible name—is a fantastic dragon. Thirteen attacks is again quite brutal with all the other dragons either going down to 10 attacks or being transformed into an entirely different beast a la the Fire Drake. If they were still on a 50mm base, Scud would be perfect.

The rest of the list is mix of the units I think are obviously powerful in Ratkin (Rat-fiends and Brood Mothers) with the cheap spammables I always loved Ratkin for (Warriors and Vermintide).

In the future, I’d probably iterate away from all the hammers in the list to get to a higher unit strength, but for now I have a hard time justifying doing that when Goblins and KoM do it in such a more efficient style—and I crave the rush of efficiency!

2 Likes

Now the batreps are coming at you fast, furious, and festive! Seasons greetings, power bottoms, and welcome to another fantabulous report featuring the Forces of the Abyss and the mighty Herd. This game was fought at 2300 pts with the scenario being Plunder. I hope everyone enjoys and I’ll see y’all next decade.

Batrep link

2 Likes

And we’re back with a doozy of a mirror match with unreal Undead facing off against itself in a 2300 pts game of Push. As always, enjoy!

1 Like

After a long and thorough research into what I wanted out of any type of undead, I happened upon both an Undead list and an Empire of Dust army I enjoy playing—which is why this week’s battle features Nightstalkers! Can my rampant army swapping in support of the people overcome the raw cantankerous vibes of the Free Dwarfs in a 2300 pts battle of Dominate or will we all be punished once again for pursuing the god of content? Find out this week and, as always, enjoy!

PS: with Masters being a mere month away, I’d like to thank everyone for their donations to help make my coming a thing. With 2019 now firmly in the rear view mirror of both my totaled cars, I look forward to this opportunity to mingle with as many of you as I can in New York. If you’d care to help more, the link is https://www.gofundme.com/f/send-visibly-riley-to-the-us-mas… (the amount is in Canadian since Dan Miner took over my finances and power of attorney).

So again, thank you those who gave and those who watch my travesty of a channel. I don’t want to brag, but my videos have been referred to as “the worst battle reports out there” and “a disjointed, unpainted nightmare slog.”

I’ll cherish your love always,
Riley

2 Likes

Whoa, you’re making it out afterall? Awesome dude, catch you there :smiley:

(Enjoyed the report as well, even if Mindscreech spam, just like the old BON spam and the current general uptick in lightning spam, is saddening …)

1 Like

Yeah, I’m looking forward to the first CoK considering I’m guessing Lightning Bolt will go back to taking Stealthy as a penalty or some other change. I originally had a bit more Lightning Bolt in the list, but thought it more fun to play with the Fleshripper instead. Could still go back and add in +9 LB, I suppose… :smirk:

To keep things more family friendly this week, there will be no depictions or discussion—either for or against—war machines or Warmachine in this battle report. With that said, the whole report takes place with just pile after pile of filthy war ENGINES taking on war engines on a war engine with the mission being War Engine.*

*Translation: This report features Nightstalkers VS Northern Alliance at 2300 pts with the mission being Control and neither war machines now Warmachine feature in Kings of War.

As always, enjoy!

3 Likes

Loads of Hordes tho :star_struck:

1 Like

yes