What brand and kind of brushes do you use

I’m curious to know about your experience with brushes. I’ve been modelbuilding for years but always use cheap brushes. I wanted to up my game , so today i bought a set of Winsor &Newton series 7…eye watering expensive. I’m almost afraid to use them . I’m curious to see if i can do bether paint jobs with them, or more easily perhaps.
Do you guy’s notice the difference a lot ? And do you guy’s have know some good brands of budget brushes or some good quality brand ones ?

I mainly use Army Painter brushes, I like how they are shaped to get a better fit in the hand, and don’t roll around. I bought some of the brushes you pictured, and honestly I didn’t find see any improvement, I did find them a little easier to use than GW’s, but their brushes are utter crap. Can’t hold a point at all.

3 Likes

Oke, thanks. I can’t wait to try and see.

1 Like

You’ll notice a difference in precision and durability. Wash those brushes with brush soap after every painting session and you’ll have sharp points for years. Also, don’t use them with metallic paints, the pigments in those paints acts like tiny razor blades on your bristles. Lastly, don’t overload the brush with paint, you never want paint to get into the ferule, it will destroy your point.

I need to rebuy my Series 7’s. I paint a lot and after five years, they’re not the precision instruments they once were. But now they get to be fancy metal paint blending brushes, lol. And when that time is done, downgraded to wash brushes, and finally to glue applicators/stir sticks.

3 Likes

I use anything, really. Street style. :joy:

4 Likes

Ooh good that you tell me , i won’t use them yet before i have brush soap. And 5 years of use from a brush is really good. My normal brushes get bad after a day or 4/5. This makes me adapted to painting with crappy brushes with bristled tips so that is kind of a plus i guess. Is brush soap the same as brush repair ?

Hahaha, me to… wel now after today i’m upperclass

1 Like

Yes, the durability is part of the higher cost. :sunglasses:
No, brush soap is different. Watch a video or two about how to properly clean the brush and you will be off to a great start!

This is the brand I use: https://www.amazon.com/General-Pencil-Company-Masters-Preserver/dp/B001TNR7VM

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. I asked this because the man in the store where i bought the brushes tried to sell me brush soap as a repair. I figured water would do for cleaning and as repair i did not believe him. So you have been a great help.

1 Like

Water is absolutely not sufficient for anything other than changing color. Brush restorer, at least the kinds I have used, tend to need to be left in overnight and are designed to be used on a clean brush. Sounds like your sales associate might not have been communicating the right message.

Happy to help! I destroyed my first nice brushes out of ignorance, so I try to help others learn from my mistakes.

1 Like

I have tons of cheap brushes that I have received or gotten cheap for the rough work and all things terrain/basing related, and went to a reputable local art shop for some higher quality ones from Germany, a midrange size 0 being my go to brush with some fancy rotmarder-kolinksy for things for finer work, including a 10/0 that my fiancee uses more or less exclusively after the base coat when she paints minis (she loves that brush size, I can’t even see the tip if its more than an inch or two away haha). I use the better ones exclusively for using my lovely miniature paints on my lovely miniatures (I do any paint-on-priming and inking/wash ‘base coats’ with cheapies).

1 Like

Thanks for awnsering, i have tons of cheap brushes from vanEyck which i must say are not that bad and are really cheap. I used them a lot on my older builds (1:35 ww2 dioramas) . But i want to get better at painting so it was time to get better ones. Thanks again.

1 Like

I bought the brush cleaner and preserver.

1 Like

I’ve had some cheap red sable brushes from the LHS and they’ve lasted a while… less than £2 A brush, but now my size 2 and 3 (workhorse brushes) have been relegated to base coating

1 Like

Thanks for awnsering .Wat is the LHS ?

Local Hobby Store lol

Oooh…haha, ofcourse