Which army to take to CoK23

Made my decision, going with the Brothermark

only thing that is not sure if I should take a single Artillery or invest the points in upgrades for the units (Spearmen and Skirmishers) and take an Ancient Phoenix, or get something else

6 Likes

I probably wouldn’t bother with a single war machine - the ancient phoenix is excellent

4 Likes

small details can make a big difference: 2 similar but different lists:

March of Arling V1 [2300 / 2300]

• Men-at-Arms Spearmen (Infantry) Regiment (20) [125]
  • Villein Bowmen (Infantry) Horde (40) [165]
  • Men-at-Arms Crossbowmen (Infantry) Troop (10) [100]
  • Oathsworn Guardians [1] (Infantry) Regiment (20) [180]
  • Order of the Abyssal Hunt (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [245]
    -Sir Jesse’s Boots of Striding [15]
  • Order of the Abyssal Hunt (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [240]
    -Mead of Madness [10]
  • Villein Skirmishers (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [165]
    -Initiates of the Brothermark [20]
  • Phoenix (Titan) 1 [175]
    -Ancient Phoenix [30]
    -Heal (5) [0]
  • Exemplar Paladin (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [150]
    -Horse Mount [35]
    -The Gauntlet (Gain Duelist) [10]
  • Exemplar Paladin (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [115]
    -Lead from the Front [10]
  • Exemplar Hunter (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [145]
    -Order of the Bear [15]
    -Blade of Slashing [5]
  • Priest (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [120]
    -Horse Mount [25]
    -Heal (3) [0]
    -Bane Chant (2) [20]
  • Priest (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [85]
    -Heal (3) [0]
    -Bastion (1) [10]

March of Arling V2 [2300 / 2300]

• Men-at-Arms Spearmen (Infantry) Regiment (20) [135]
    -Veteran Command [10]
  • Men-at-Arms Spearmen (Infantry) Regiment (20) [135]
    -Veteran Command [10]
  • Men-at-Arms Crossbowmen (Infantry) Troop (10) [100]
    -Sir Jesse’s Boots of Striding [15]
  • Order of the Abyssal Hunt (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [240]
    -Mead of Madness [10]
    -Ancient Phoenix [30]
    -Heal (5) [0]
  • Exemplar Paladin (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [150]
    -Horse Mount [35]
  • Exemplar Paladin (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [115]
    -Lead from the Front [10]
  • Exemplar Hunter (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [125]
    -Order of the Lone Wolf [10]
    -Horse Mount [25]
    -Heal (3) [0]
    -Bane Chant (2) [20]
  • Priest (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [85]
    -Heal (3) [0]
    -Bastion (1) [10]

Main difference is the Exemplar Hunter as Order of the Bear and Order of the Wolf give him different task but therefore no Veteran Command for the Infantry

1 Like

I’ve no idea what your army does, but the Ancient Phoenix sounds awesome and gets my vote.

2 Likes

Q: why run two regiments of spearmen instead of one horde? In my experience, the regiments don’t have much more survivability than penitents, which are much cheaper. If you’re using them to camp objectives, why not penitents for that instead, and then invest the points elsewhere?

I really like the horde of bowmen. They can stack 2-3 wounds a turn on opponents but the combination of phalanx and nerve makes it annoying to waste a real hammer taking them down. Good US, great price. Also I love the Abyssal Hunt + skirmishers + mounted priest combo, which I run in almost every game.

2 Likes

Horde vs 2 Regiments is tricky, as the Horde is cheaper, tougher and has the same amount of attacks while the Regiments are 2 units, those have a smaller footprint and are more flexible.
If I would take a 2nd Horde it would rather be another bowmen one

for using Penitents instead, this is an option I have not thought about yet but something to consider and something I will test

1 Like

I’m a big fan of spear regs, which have huge advantages over trash regiments: phalanx for unexpected survival, very often +1 US for better scenario performance, and more attaks so they can potentially deal damage, especially in a flank. Plus I think they look better on the table :stuck_out_tongue: Whenever given the chance I take the spear version of a cheap regiment and never regret it. I’ve been running 2-4 spear regs in my Herd since it’s existed and they’re always underappreciated and overperform, vs a horde which is an obvious target for enemy hammers to double and triple into.

Checking their stats, M@A spears have even more advantages over Villein penitents, but I can see that the decision is tough given how insanely cheap penitents are, yet still unlock and CS1 means they aren’t entirely ignorable in a flank. In a world of Piercing 0-1 shooting, I heavily favor D4+ on my junk regiments … but penitents are damn cheap if the point is to be cheap and do scenario work or be in the way for a limited amount of time.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing around in python to build out a combat simulator. Squaring off vs a standard hammer like a horde of wights (260pts):

–Wights win vs spearmen R (125pts) 69% of the time, avg of 1.9 rounds, and suffer 3.6 damage
–Wights win vs penitents H (125pts) 67% of the time, avg of 1.5 rounds , and suffer 4.1 damage
–Wights win vs spearmen H (205pts) 51% of the time, avg of 1.7 rounds, and suffer 6.3 damage.

This assumes the initial charge is hindered 30% of the time, which tends to negate the wights’ advantage. In other words, the spearmen horde can hold its own against a much more expensive hammer even though it costs 55 points less.

Is there any way to post formatted tables on the KOW forums? It would make it much easier to show this data.

| Unit                                                                             | Wins  | Win%  | Dam  | Rounds |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|-------|-------|------|--------|
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |       |       |      |        |
| Wights (H, 260)                                                                  | 687   | 68.7% | 7.3  | 1.9    |
| Men-at-Arms Spearmen (R, 125)                                                    | 313   | 31.3% | 3.6  |        |
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |       |       |      |        |
| Wights (H, 260)                                                                  | 672   | 67.2% | 12.4 | 1.5    |
| Villein Penitents (H, 125)                                                       | 328   | 32.8% | 4.1  |        |
| Wights (H, 260)                                                                  | 508   | 50.8% | 10.0 | 1.7    |
| Men-at-Arms Spearmen (H, 205)                                                    | 492   | 49.2% | 6.3  |        |
1 Like

not sure how to post tables on the forum, but the information is still readable

for the calculation a quick question, the Spearman Regiment takes average 1,9 rounds to lose, so hold the longest but all of them hold at least 1 round?
a the important part here is that they stay and a 2nd unit would counter charge with 2 regiments, while the horde would be on its own
Penitents are chaff, and I would use 2 Regiments here rather than a Horde

this is their main point, they are cheap and you get a horde for the price of a regiment, or take 2 regiments for a little more than a veteran regiment so you can get some mass on the table and chaff that can do something if ignored
which is something the list does not really have in fact, though I am also not sure of adding infantry chaff is needed

Correct. But it counts a round as one unit attacking, not both. So with the spearmen regiment, they’re more likely to be one-shot than the horde but less likely to one-shot in return, so the overall total is larger. Against the wights, they get the benefit of phalanx which helps them punch above their weight. Let me know if you’d like to see any other match ups.

1 Like

[quote=“Cartwright, post:30, topic:4016”]
Let me know if you’d like to see any other match ups. [/quote]
would be interesting to see the veteran command regiment as well and is it possible to calculate a counter charge with a 2nd unit?

I’m not able to do that yet but will look at how I could implement in the future.

1 Like

after some testing, I am going with the following adjustments
(10 points for artifacts open, as not yet decided)

March of Arling [2290 / 2300 (10 Remaining)]
~ List Valid ~
The Order of the Brothermark [2290]

• Sir Jesse’s Boots of Striding [15]
  • Order of the Abyssal Hunt (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [265]
    • Wine of Elvenkind [35]
  • Villein Skirmishers (Cavalry) Troop (5) [95]
  • Villein Skirmishers (Cavalry) Troop (5) [95]
    • Initiates of the Brothermark [20]
    • Ancient Phoenix [30]
    • Heal (5) [0]
  • Exemplar Hunter (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [130]
    • Order of the Bear [15]
  • Exemplar Hunter (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [160]
    • The Gauntlet (Gain Duelist) [10]
    • Horse Mount [35]
    • Horse Mount [25]
    • Heal (3) [0]
    • Bane Chant (2) [20]
  • Priest (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [100]
    • Heal (3) [0]
    • Veil of Shadows1 [25]
  • High Chaplain Augustus [1] (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [145]
    • Bane Chant (3) [0]
    • Heal (5) [0]

In some ways I like it, in others it seems risky.

You have a ton of heal, 16 total. That could really annoy your enemy.
However, I don’t see many units that could take a massive strike and not evaporate.
So the heal may be useful for healing annoying chip damage and lucky regiments that take a lot of damage and survive. But that isn’t a guarantee.

Abyssal hunt cav are very nice (pricy but nicy)
The infantry regiments and villein bowmen are good for support and sitting on objectives.
The cav regiments are your main damage dealers.

I can see it working well, but I can also see it having trouble if a few units are taken out early.

Please take my advice with a pinch of salt. I can count the games I’ve had over the last 5 years on one hand.

2 Likes