Which army to take to CoK23

going to the CoK this year and now need to decide which army it should be
from all I have 3 are currently on the desk

Brothermark, Forces of Nature and Elves

basic points:

• FoN is Elemental focused and on multi-bases, which makes it the easiest to carry around but no Mantic models and the least impressive army model wise

• Brothermark is currently on the painting table, single based and mostly historic models (based on local colours) and something of a niche army (so there won’t be many)

• Elves would be an all Mantic army, which would be a nice thing to take to CoK, yet it is still in boxes so not sure if I can finish it in time (and do training games as well) but it also means I can still change lists

3 Likes

for the Army list, I am thinking about this:

Forces of Nature [2295]

• Naiad Heartpiercers (Infantry) Regiment (20) [160]
  • Naiad Heartpiercers (Infantry) Regiment (20) [160]
  • Fire Elementals (Large Infantry) Horde (6) [220]
  • Fire Elementals (Large Infantry) Horde (6) [220]
  • Water Elementals (Large Infantry) Horde (6) [220]
  • Water Elementals (Large Infantry) Horde (6) [220]
  • Scorchwings* (Large Cavalry) Regiment (3) [120]
  • Scorchwings* (Large Cavalry) Regiment (3) [120]
  • Greater Air Elemental (Monster) 1 [200]
    -Lightning Bolt (3) [20]
  • Greater Air Elemental (Monster) 1 [200]
    -Lightning Bolt (3) [20]
  • Druid (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [85]
    -Bane Chant (2) [20]
    -Heal (2) [0]
  • Keris [1] (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [110]
    -Surge (8) [30]
  • Gladewalker Druid (Hero (Heavy Infantry)) 1 [145]
    -Ring of Harmony [25]
    -Heal (4) [0]
    -Surge (8) [30]
  • Forest Warden (Hero (Large Infantry)) 1 [115]
    -Lute of Insatiable Darkness [25]
    -Surge (4) [0]

Elementals are all the same points for Hordes, so can easily switch Water for Earth or Air
yet the one thing I am not sure is the hero setup, could replace Keris or the Warden with another Druid
goal is to have 2 heals and 2 bane chants available with enough Surge to be flexible
hence I would like a 4th Surge in there but not sure if giving up Bane Chant or Heal is worth it

1 Like

The Order of the Brothermark [2300]

• Men-at-Arms Spearmen (Infantry) Regiment (20) [125]
  • Men-at-Arms Spearmen (Infantry) Regiment (20) [125]
  • Villein Bowmen (Infantry) Horde (40) [165]
  • Men-at-Arms Crossbowmen (Infantry) Troop (10) [100]
  • Oathsworn Guardians [1] (Infantry) Regiment (20) [180]
  • Order of the Abyssal Hunt (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [245]
    -Sir Jesse’s Boots of Striding [15]
  • Order of the Abyssal Hunt (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [240]
    -Mead of Madness [10]
  • Villein Skirmishers (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [145]
  • Villein Skirmishers (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [145]
  • Villein Siege Artillery (War Engine) 1 [90]
  • Phoenix (Titan) 1 [145]
    -Heal (5) [0]
  • Exemplar Paladin (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [150]
    -Horse Mount [35]
    -The Gauntlet (Gain Duelist) [10]
  • Exemplar Paladin (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [115]
    -Lead from the Front [10]
  • Exemplar Hunter (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [125]
    -Order of the Lone Wolf [10]
  • Priest (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [120]
    -Horse Mount [25]
    -Heal (3) [0]
    -Bane Chant (2) [20]
  • Priest (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [85]
    -Heal (3) [0]
    -Bastion (1) [10]

this is one list I like simply because of the theme with little bit of everything
Phoenix could go for the upgrade but not sure of an Ancient is worth it same for the Artillery as a single one might not do it and rather use the points for upgrades and artifacts

3 Likes

Elves [2295]

• Palace Guard (Infantry) Regiment (20) [160]
  • Kindred Tallspears (Infantry) Regiment (20) [140]
  • Kindred Tallspears (Infantry) Regiment (20) [140]
  • Kindred Gladestalkers (Infantry) Troop (10) [140]
  • Kindred Gladestalkers (Infantry) Troop (10) [140]
  • Silverbreeze Cavalry* (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [180]
  • Silverbreeze Cavalry* (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [180]
  • Stormwind Cavalry (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [235]
    -Quicksilver Lancers [25]
  • Dragon Breath (War Engine) 1 [90]
  • Dragon Breath (War Engine) 1 [90]
  • Elven King (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [135]
    -Horse Mount [35]
  • Elven King (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [135]
    -Horse Mount [35]
  • Elven Archmage (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [115]
    -Bane Chant (2) [20]
    -Lightning Bolt (5) [35]
  • Elven Archmage (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [95]
    -Lightning Bolt (5) [35]

this one is not fixed at and options are to replace one Palace Guard unit with Shield Watch for a higher defence center, or replacing one with another Stormwind unit
same as one King could go without horse to add another Bane Chant

1 Like

Since I’ll be there too, I won’t give any “advice” which list to play. :wink:

That said, painting a full army between now and september will be a challenge. The question is whether you will enjoy this process or not. If so, I’d suggest building the elves. If not (or you don’t like the stress of speed-painting), I’d take either other army.

The Forces of Nature army will probably be the “meta” army. I’d suggest preparing against the triple air-elementals supported by phalanx treemen or naiad ensnarers. That’s not to say that these armies will do well. Last year, the meta was the 8x8 ogre list which was present quite a few times, but as most players prepared against it, it wasn’t as successful as it could have been.

I’d like to see your brothermark army, if only because it’s gonna be an outlier.

3 Likes

My vote is for the Brothermark, beacause I like historical figures.

2 Likes

I am usually not a “meta” player as not really preparing my lists for something specific to play against but rather how I like to play them (if this works or not is a different story) this is why I favour the outliners as those are off-meta anyway and therefore have a little advantage as no one prepares for it

there need to be something done for all armies (as there will be changes after test games), so it won’t be stress free anyway and I would kind of like the challenge to get the Elves done, work and unexpected events are my biggest enemies

3 Likes

To stand out a bit from the rest, run Brothermark as there will be few other Bro-mark lists at Clash

3 Likes

I’ll be going to Clash as well! But I’ve totally not dove into the deep end making it my first tournament and I haven’t even got an built army or played a game yet :sweat_smile: No worries right?.. RIght

3 Likes

[quote=“AwesomeSnow, post:9, topic:4016”]
No worries right?[/quote]
Right
I see no problem with that, just bring a Shirt with “this is my first tournament” :wink:

2 Likes

Good for you! And welcome!

I guess it’s strange to start your gaming/tournament experience at the most prestigious tournament in the European Continent (including these british isles who think they are part of another continent altogether) but frack it, why not?

Not having played a game yet can easily be solved in the months to come. Find an opponent and try the game out a few times, even if you have to play with squares of cardboard for units!

As for not having an army, there’s some work to be done! It would be massively helpfull to actually have an army at a tournament.

2 Likes

You mean i cant turn up with a bunch of empty rectangles and say its my army? Ive bought a bunch of halflings but its all gotta be made to look pretty and painted and based etc.

1 Like

Ill be sure to bring my “Dunce” hat

There will be lots of people there for the hobby/social/camaraderie side of things rather than just the full on gaming.

Just be upfront if you don’t know stuff and pretty much everyone is going to be really helpful.

As a gaming scene, KoW is by far the friendliest I’ve run across

5 Likes

Yeah from the people who I’ve talked to over the time I’ve been trying to learn it in my local area they are a lot friendlier than the 40k crowd I’m used to that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah, indeed. I’m attributing this to the not-pay-to-win model that Mantic/KoW has. You don’t need to buy the most recent minitatures in order to win.

Also, it seems that the KoW crowd isn’t composed entirely of 20-30 year old males who need to prove themselves using this game. Yes, most of us have matured a bit since then.

2 Likes

Not full of 20-30 year old’s, you’re telling me it’s full of a bunch of oldies. :laughing: I feel like I’ll be out of touch then.

3 Likes

Not as old as the historical gamers tho! :wink:

1 Like

I started wargaming with historical…
I might have thought so at the time, but 16 is certainly not old. :upside_down_face:

I’ll be there at the tournament, and I have only played 2 games over the last year or so. With my wife, and lost both times.
Maybe she should be the one joining the tournament! Though I am using the army I built for her!

So in short! Get the army you think is the coolest ready if you can! Get in some practice if you can, and the rest will sort itself out!

4 Likes