Your first game

Anyone remember their first game of Kings of War?

Mine was back in 2010 with the free rules against an old friend, AKI. He has a great blog, and did a post on it.

Been hooked on the system ever since.

Always nice to be able to revisit old games and see how much a system has matured over the years.

4 Likes

Well… my first game was just a few months ago and I posted about it here too… so yep luckily I can still remember that - I’m drinking a lot less in lockdown… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My first game was with the free rules prior to 1st ed, it was with my mate Dougie, both of us where long time WFB players but getting fed up with the win through money and hero hammer. So my elves got wheeled out against his dwarfs and the rest, as they say, is history.

1 Like

Mine was May 2017 - my first and only Ratkin game I think.

Here is what I wrote at the time on my blog.

Angles and moves do need careful planning, as with poor initiative you could be caught out badly by being assaulted without the ability to fight back. This does however mean sacrificial units could be used to good effect to lure enemies into a trap.

The game was certainly quick, bloody, and simple so meeting our needs of a 2-3 hour game we can play on an occasional basis without needing to learn complex rules. With angles and distances so critical for charging I can see competitive play being contentious affairs with lost of laser-based aids being popular. Not an issue for friendly games though.

I am tempted to look into an Arabian army based on my Gripping Beast Arabs but need to find some Djinn to field flying units or perhaps a Troop or two of flying carpets

2 Likes

Also first played with free rules that came in boxes, I think that was 2010 edition.

I think it’s impressive how many of us have our first KOW matches documented :sweat_smile: I sloppily run through mine (1500 points Ratkin vs Herd in January 2016) here >> https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/681163.page#8473179

1 Like

I also documented my first game. :laughing:
Fun to look back.

Link to batrep on the old norwegian forum

1 Like

Hello!

Great topic! I have just realised it has been almost 5 years since I played my first game! I still remember I enjoyed the experience but I was not yet sure what to make out of this :slight_smile: Here is the link to the battle report (of course!):

How things have changed!

3 Likes

My first KOW game … I’ll hopefully have that soon! :grin: Still painting … :smirk:

6 Likes

My first game… I had gotten my rulebook and chips for 2nd edition, got psyched to test it out. l asked a friend if he wanted to try… He said yes. I thought i will test it out before so i am safe with the rules… Had set up 2 armies to play against myself to learn the ropes… My girlfriend comes in and asks if that’s now finally the game i always read about and always mention. I say yes. She says allright, which side do i play and which one will you play? I am flabbergasted, we start to play and she knows the rules after the second turn and i only have to look up things twice.
That’s when i fell in love with the game. So simple yet so elegant, fun and tactical. And not only fell in love with the game but thought that that woman is marriage material.
Well… Didn’t work out with the woman but i am still in love with the game.

5 Likes

What armies did you play?