2024 New Year Resolutions

Wow! Amazing progress - when do you sleep?!

The Ogres in particular look amazing! Very different to any other Ogres I’ve seen before.

1 Like

Thanks!

Painting is my time off, so i usually try to fit in a bit of time every day when the kids go to sleep. It’s only recently started getting easier, now that my 1 year old is sleeping better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love to see progress on your Trollgres, I’m a big fan. I kind of wish they contrasted more strongly with their basing but eh.

I’ve been wondering if this is the year I finally paint some TOS too! Especially having just bought all the Court of Two minis. I’ll be content if I just finish up a MFX crew, even more so if I actually play any Wyrd game once in 2023 :grimacing:

1 Like

So I have painted my full Dwarf warband and some last minute additions of some Brock riders, meaning i can actually field an 800pt ambush army should i so wish…

Also, not on my list, i have now done magwa and Jo’os, whom i have had on the shelf undercoated for about a year!

I have painted to a really minimal standard all my Deadzone terrain, but it is basically all just sprayed so I’m not sure I’m counting it yet…

The Abyssals are not progressing and neither are the mazon labs, but there is still 2/3 of the year left!

How’re the rest of you getting on?

5 Likes

Slowly.
My Romans are coming along, but at this rate I might get last year’s goals done by the middle of the year.
Which includes a non-hobby but significant and time consuming goal… finish my PhD.

Which will leave 15mm Vikings, a bit of work and terrain making for my dwarfs and, Sci-Fi for the second half of the year.

I also challenged myself to get each of my (painted) collections on the table.
My dwarfs and Germans have been in games!
I also took a trip to visit my parents and got in a game of Gaslands with my old gaming group while there.

The plan is to play nightstalkers in October and the Romans and Vikings have not been painted. Yet.

I am starting to doubt whether my Sci-Fi miniatures are getting any paint this year though.
Especially with new nightstalkers coming…

1 Like

I’ve finished a unit of Mummies, half a unit of Revenants (second half of the second horde), several units of Daughters Khaine, and some Dreadnoughts. What were my goals again…? Oh…

Well, I did at least complete one of my 2022 goals, I ran the 4 dragons list and got nowhere. Looked great tho.

2 Likes

Completing goals that arent on the list is fine!

I had lost the joy of painting when considering finishing off my dungeon saga abyssals. Just not feeling them. A break to churn put some deadzone marauders has revitalised me! Hopefully your non-list things did likewise.

2 Likes

So, we’re in May and I’ve still to start a second new army!!! :wink:

The AD army is mostly bought (want more Immortals though!), the vast majority of my actual models built (new NS reapers to be converted in to gargoyles once they get released) and now need plow through the rank and file.

July, October & November events lined up - AD definitely for the first as gives me a deadline - the November one is around my 50th, so something tactic-lite and just smash face may be in order!

[Anyone who likes getting involved with community/narrative/hobby projects as a way of keeping the hobby mojo might want to check this out.

Slow grow/month by month fantasy project. Model/game system agnostic in the main

https://amiddlehammertale.com/ ]

1 Like

It’s half way through the year!
How is everyone getting along?

I’m… not really.
The cost of my academics coming along, I’ afraid.

The Romans have barely come along. Vikings are not happening this year.
I have been acquiring and squirrelling away what I need for the dwarf terrain project, not sure if I’ll get to it this year.

The Sci-Fi miniatures are built, but some Frostgrave has cropped up in my gaming group. Which has prompted me to put the Sci-Fi in a box and crack open my box for fantasy miniatures “for skirmish games or RPGs” and aim to paint those instead.

As if that’s not bad enough; I have regressed on the projects that were “done”!
I decided one evening that I simply MUST have more suitable command stands and mounted handgunners for my Medieval Germans.
Then new nightstalkers came out. I only got a horde of butchers, but that still means I have unpainted nightsalkers again.

This has happened! Except for games with the not-yet painted historical armies.
I’ll add Frostgrave to the list though.

Which means I’m back roughly back to where I started. Finishing off last year’s goal’s.
-Paint my 15mm Romans.
-Paint all the bits and bobs for my nighstalkers.
-Finish painting my 15th Century 15mm Medieval Germans.

Which makes the revised goals:
-Complete last year’s goals (some of them again).
-Build and paint 3 impassable, 2 hills and 2 bases for woods; to go with my dwarf army.
-Rebase and convert to bulwakers 2 regiments of dwarfs.
-Play a game of Frostgrave with a painted warband that I own.
-As a bonus/stretch goal: Paint some of my assorted fantasy miniatures.

2 Likes

I have 27 infantry to finish for my Abyssal Dwarf tournament army (event on 22/23 July) - which just leaves a 2nd helfane, some halfbreeds and a slave driver chariot unbuilt but I might take a break with those.

Have just started a new army (nightstalkers) and this is intended to only be a small project at present, as i need to go back to painting an entire village worth of militia/halfling citizens :grinning:

2 Likes

So I have finally painted some mazon labs but seem to have also put “paint a 1000pt firefight marauders force” on the list. It’s summer though, so i slow down a lot what with holidays, cricket, cycling and general good weather…

4 Likes

My son actually painted the aberration. Not bad for a ten year old

3 Likes

Finnnnne let’s check in:

1. Paint another army for KOW, preferably from existing models. I’d love if I could finally get my Khorne daemons on the table, after languishing for close to a decade with primer at best. If I instead refurb and add to my Nurgle legacy army instead, well that’s fine too, and certainly a lot less work as the vast majority of it is already painted. Doing both would be neat but I’m not holding out that much hope.

Happy to report that I’m about 40% through a new 2300 point army, even if it isn’t either of the above. Pushing for late September to premiere it, I think I can make it with just a little discipline :grimacing: I do have a good handle on getting my Nurgle legacy army ready by the spring, decided to go back to Ratkin with them after trying and failing to enjoy Forces of the Abyss.

1. Limit new KOW armies to Ambush until the above is done. I’ve actually been painting some totally unrelated demons and have the urge to shove them to full 2300 point size but I really need to not, for the sake of my other projects and aging 3D printer.

Welllll I guess I failed at this twice :sweat_smile: Bought a Mantic goblin Ambush army … then bought the other half to hit 1995. Likewise bought a (not Mantic) Ogre Ambush army … then went back and bought the other half for 1995. All of these minis haven’t been touched and might not be this year but whatchagonnado.

1. Continue adding to and updating my Hallow Herd, so I have a second KOW 3E army that looks decent. I’m adding woodland critters this month and have some weird stuff either printed or in the queue.

I’ve painted a few things for the Hallow, with one more MASSIVE model coming for a tournament next month that’s using the DIY titan rules. I am moving away from the Herd after that tournament, but I genuinely love the aesthetic and paint scheme and could probably add to the army forever. I did have plans to rebuild significant parts of the army, and printed the minis to do that, but decided not to in the end.

1. Paint two more Warhammer Underworlds teams, especially with how many I now own :grimacing: This will be hurt by how few people play near me, but also helped by having one team just about through basecoating already :wink:

Still just the one painted team so far, but I’ve got the savage orcs to about 85% and a stormcast team to about 15%. Together that’s basically another team :upside_down_face: Of course I’ve also bought even more teams since I posted this, thanks to getting my buddy into it and egging each other on.

1. Paint another Kill Team, likely Nids if not the new Kroot.

Eh. KT2 was a struggle to get into and that’s doubly so with the way the meta has evolved, and with WU entering my brainspace.

Gaming-wise, I’ll be attending as many tournaments as my schedule allows, per usual, which is usually 3-4.

I hit Dead of Winter in January, Pilgrimage in March, Orc Town in June and am looking forward to King Beyond the Wall in August and Crossroads in September. Not a bad run! I have definitely fallen behind on battle reporting, between life and my work as a copy editor / ghost writer getting in the way.

EDIT: I forgot that some of my clubmates want to resurrect Mordheim once again, so I might be printing and painting a Mordheim gang too :man_facepalming:

This did come up in conversation again recently, so maybe painting Marienburgers is a possibility for the Fall :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Well i accidentally added a marauder force to my resolutions list. Not done yet but on its way…

6 Likes

Whilst I don’t currently have a photo, I have managed to finally complete my Dungeon Saga Abyssals! This was something actually on my list, so that’s nice. It has also led to me playing the Dungeon Saga Infernal Crypts quest with the family. 2 missions and going well. I can see that they were moving towards the changes they have made with Origins - less fiddly board construction in this one compared to the old ones. Hopefully we will get Infernal Crypts completed by Xmas, as Origins is currently winging its way to us as a family Xmas present.

Playing another DS quest was another of my resolutions!

With one month to go here is how my resolutions stand:

My targets (painting):

Finish Dwarf warband - COMPLETE
Finish Abyssals for Dungeon Saga - COMPLETE
Abyssal Warband - DID SOME (TECHNICALLY ENOUGH FOR A WARBAND...)
Paint extra Deadzone terrain (SPRAYED (does that count?))
Mazon Labs / Plague Strike team (from star saga) (COMPLETE? SON HAS PAINTED PLAGUE STRIKEFORCE)

Targets (non-painting)

Attend another event (INCOMPLETE :-( )
Complete another Dungeon Saga quest with the kids (ONGOING)

On top of these I have (like us all I am sure) completed lots of things that were never on the list. Like a Marauder Firefight army of around 1500 points or so (that’s a pretty big one!), and starting an Ogre Kings of War Army. With one month left I might see about getting most of the Abyssals for Vanguard done, using my quick at easy (mainly drybrush) method, but realistically I probably won’t finish.

How are the rest of you doing with just one month left?

4 Likes

So the Resolutions were:

1. Not to paint more than 3 new armies :slight_smile:
  2. Have a mainly mantic army ready by Clash.
  3. Actually use the stuff I painted last year!

1 - only Abyssal Dwarfs and a NS/TK army started this year! Did pick up an AD mega army in the Black Friday sales, along with a few halflings - and bought a load of old school halberdiers - so AD and Rhordia on the to do list next year.
2- didn’t go to clash in the end, but have got ticket for next year. Plan is still to run the AD, esp after the buffs they got.
3 - 4 tournaments (2 each of one & two day events) and 4 different armies used - OotGL, AD, NA and Rhordia - getting a judge’s painting award for the latter which pleased me. Local gaming collective have set up monthly KoW/Ambush days to get more games in, which is good.

5 Likes

Looks like you have effectively achieved all your goals! Well done! You seem both a) highly productive and b) highly able to actually focus on projects. Not two of my talents!

1 Like

I have done a bit of the last one…

Plus some progress on the Romans (I’m roughly half way).
I’m wrapping up studies now though, so I might actually finish the 15mm Romans this year.

Looks like next year will inherit the rest of this year’s hobby goals.

4 Likes

Way more luck than judgement, really!

I’m certainly quite a productive hobbyist(!), but i usually start flitting over lots of different stuff.

The AD caught my attention a bit - modeling & background wise - in part due to couple of FB group slow grow/project log things, but also that i wanted to kitbash loads of stuff while keeping the general look of the army ‘mantic’ enough

3 Likes

Hi all! Nearly new year - might be a good time to think about next year’s resolutions!

Here are mine:

• Complete a 2300pt Ogre KoW army
  • Paint all the Dungeon Saga Origins models

Gaming

• Attend an event! Of any type

My son is aiming to complete a plague firefight force and a 995pt Ambush force for twilight kin.

How about everyone else?

6 Likes