3ed rules questions

I have yet to play the game in 3ed, just reading the new rules and one point is not clear to me. The 3ed rules state: Units can move over Obstacles normally (even ending their move on top of them), but they cannot cross them while moving At the Double.

Question: Where the unit moving at the double stops when encountering an obstacle. Does it really stop over the obstacle (if it reached the maximum distance 2xSp) or at the point when the back side of the unit reaches the obstacle. One may even argue that the unit would stop at the point when the back facing is about to leave the obstacle as in all these cases the unit does not cross (fully) the obstacle. Is it really intended this way or the unit ends its movement as soon as the front facing reaches the obstacle (as it is/was in the 2nd edition).

1 Like

The unit stops before touching the obstacle when given the at the double order. If the unit is already in contact with an obstacle you cannot give it an at the double order.

4 Likes

Good, thanks for the response. I guess the wording will have to be altered in the FAQ then as without a prior knowledge of the 2ed rules it is hard to see what is ment.

I also noted that it is no longer possible to stop a ranged unit “at the obstacle” and shoot over it without a penaltly. I guess this is an intended change when compared with the 2ed. In general, I see a lot of things improved in the section dealing with terrain and how the units interact with it. Still, in parts, I find it a bit confusing, e.g. a situation when a unit is on a hill but its leader point is not. Then the hill on which the unit is standing may still provide cover when shooting at a target behind the same hill … :upside_down_face:

Is it right, that monstrous Infanterie hordes will open hero/Monster slots, but monstrous Infanterie regiments won’t open any hero/monster slots?

Correct. Only inf, hvy inf, cav and cht regiments open the hero/monster/titan/warengine slots. Apparently, the game designers want us to use more the regular inf/cav instead of large/monsterous units.

1 Like

Fome it’s a little bit complicated because Monstrous Infanterie Hordes open slots,and the regiments do not.

Thank you for your answer.

The yielding-rule says, that a unit that is engaged with a yielding individual doesn’t have to disengage before doing a shooting attack.
As I unterstand, that means that the unit engaged with the yielding individual can do both shooting and melee attacks in the same turn.
Is this correct?

Indeed, I checked the rules and agree with you. Good find! Although it may look strange it is not that odd that a unit shoots and then Melee in the same round. If it is possible for shooting units surged into contact why not for units engaged with non-mighty individuals.

1 Like

No, you have to issue a Charge or Countercharge to be able to fight in the melee phase. This is not obvious at first but it seems we will need to have some tokens to mark units who are going to fight. Since it seems possible to stay engaged but not fight. Like in the situation where you want to shoot through the yielding individual, you need to issue a Halt! order in the move phase (meaning you will not get to strike in the melee phase) and then shoot in the shoot phase as long as you were not disordered. (If the yielding indie damaged you then you cannot shoot that turn )

What prevents you from shooting after having charged a yielding individual? You cant at the double and shoot, but charge is not at the double. As I read it, you can charge an individual, and shoot in the same turn - not shoot at it though since it is engaged…

1 Like

Not completely sure. Maybe @Darklord or @mattjgilbert can help us out with the answer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have got some more questions, this time on disengaging and keeping the 1" distance from enemies.

First of all an interesting observation. When a unit is engaged to its back facing it disengages 1" and then can charge, so it is able to charge 1" further than one would expect. :grinning:

Questions:

1. Can a unit disengage when it would put it within 1" of another enemy unit. I guess the answer is no but find it a bit strange. Imagine a regiment engaged with enemy and behind it another enemy unit just 1" away. The regiment may disengage less then 1" but is not able to finish its move 1" away from any enemy units, so it must remain engaged.
  2. If a unit stays engaged but does not Melee (e.g. because it is wavered) the opponent will be able to countercharge in his next turn. Correct? If this happens in a difficult terrain the countercharging unit will not be hindered …
  3. The unit starts its movement not engaged but less than 1" away from the enemy. If the frontage is aligned to the enemy facing the unit cannot move sideways as it would mean just keeping the distance from enemy, not making it larger. I find this weird. Why cannot the unit move keeping the distance (as it was in the FAQ in 2ed). In some situations it is useful to move your unit aside. If the unit is engaged (which should make it more restricted in its movement) it is able to disengage up to 1" and then move sideways. But if it is not engaged (and less than 1" away from enemy) it cannot move sideways?!

I hope someone official will weigh in here eventually.

Fun detail about the bounce forward and charge :sweat_smile:
How I understand it:

1. the unit is not allowed to break the 1" by disengage so can be forced to remain engaged like that

2. Engaged units can countercharge, it represents the ongoing melee so is only natural IMO.

3. Yes it seems an obvious oversight. Atm units charging in will create a “panic bubble” in which units are not allowed to do small moves like sidestep and slightly forward etc. Must either charge something or back up or stand still. Almost feels like semi-wavered with Fury. :blush:

Thanks for the responses. You confirm my interpretation of the questions. :smiley:

OK, I just find the wording a bit confusing then. The unit is countercharging even in a situation when it was not charged (nor countercharged). :grinning: So, a tactical advice for this situation in difficult terrain is that one should not stay engaged but disengage (and Halt) to make the opponent unit hindered.

1 Like

This will be clarified in an FAQ, but you can’t shoot if you charged a yielding individual.

5 Likes

Just categorically state you can’t shoot if issued a charge order, rather having a clarification about one specific instance?

2 Likes

Yes :neutral_face: I’m afraid it is…

Yes, that’s what the RC will do. I was answering the question specifically though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys, 3ed question about heroic artefacts…
The rules say that heroic artefacts “can only be taken by Hero (Inf), Hero
(Cav), Hero (Mon), Hero (Cht) and Hero (Ttn) units.”

So does this mean you can’t attach a heroic artefacts to Hero (Lrg cav) or Hero (Lrg Inf)??

Thanks
Matt

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @g00dr0 !

Personally, I do not see a reason why LrgCav and LrgInf heros should be excluded from bearing heroic artefacts, especially when Ttn heros are not considered (already) too powerful to have them. Most likely, it is just an omission in the rules and will be FAQued but I am not the one to make a judgement. :smiley: Though, it looks a bit strange that those who wrote the rules did not just state it simply that heroic artefacts are restricted to all hero-type units (without specifying all the possibilities).

1 Like