Dark Age Varangur

My original barbarian style Varangur army ended up being converted into an NA one, with various new units added.

Fancied doing a new Varangur army from the ground up, with a Dark Age theme (currently on book 10 of Bernard Cornwell’s Lost Kingdom series, which has kept me occupied and, no doubt, provided inspiration!).

I had some warlord Gauls kicking around, which together with mantic zombies will be the draugr. Gripping beast vikings will be the clansmen and their Goth cavalry as mounted sons.

Victrix Gallic fanatics are the reavers, while the Viking/Saxon models will be huscarls. Looking at using the same models, with gsw flaming skulls and a different paint job as fallen.

L to R: Gripping Beast viking; mantic zombie/warlord Gaul kitbash; same; Victrix Gallic fanatic

Trolls have come from dark alliance and the frostfang will probably be Celtic chariots (with the hero versions riding beasts of some description).

Will start building stuff and figure out a list in due course!

5 Likes

The painted picture is hard to make out as its out of focus. Could you try again?

Rubbish phone camera - more pics of NA lot here

Finished building the draugr

1 Like

WiP basing for the draugr

1 Like

Slowly building the rest of the infantry - reavers at the back (awaiting heads), night raiders (middle) & clansmen at the front.

4 Likes

Slowly starting to paint the draugr

5 Likes

This is such a cool theme, I might have to steal it for my own Varangur when I get round to them to differentiate them from my Northern Alliance.

1 Like

Test models done - reavers, draugr & night raiders

3 Likes

Slowly getting there with the draugr.

Variant frostfang - TT Combat models. Not the biggest, but 6 for £20 are still decent.

3 Likes

First couple of finished draugr

5 Likes

Nice stuff, are the frost fang bears going to have riders or just be Savage in their own right?

Will possibly look at adding a rider on a couple, but otherwise will be having berserker types on foot along with the bears.

Those look great, one of my friends plays Varangur as well and has been trying to think on how to make the Draugrs ‘not look like standard zombies’ and i think this style might be right up his alley.

Rest of the draugr finished

6 Likes

Great work on the shambling mass of them :zombie: :snowflake: I appreciate how disordered the units are, as you’d expect!

1 Like

Less model heavy than the draugr (!) here are a couple of regiments of snow foxes.

3 Likes

Next up - some reavers

3 Likes

Slow down, you’re making us look bad. :smile:

1 Like

Err …

Frostfang heroes

5 Likes