Edzig's Forces of Nature / Sylvan Kin

I’ve just added one more Tree Herder.

How many Tree Herders is too many Tree Herders? Surely not three!?

The Three Musketrees (sorry!) take a bow…

21 Likes

I absolutely love your basing

1 Like

I never liked the Mantic Treeherder model all that much, but these 3 look awesome :slight_smile: … Maybe I’ll get one for my Elf army as well, or two :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s just painted bark that I picked up in the park and birch seeds (we have a tree outside) and then static grass and a few tufts.

2 Likes

Awesome. They look like nature’s equivalent of a death metal band. The Wildfather is obviously the lead singer. :grin:

1 Like

If you look closely you will see that they’re doing a Monkee Walk!

1 Like

I have now painted and based my last (ever!) Forest Shambler. Here is horde no. 4. Apart from a few grumbles about the amount of cleaning up required and the fact that they are made of metal, I have really enjoyed painting and basing these models.

My current Sylvan Kin list is:
4 hordes of Forest Shamblers (at 2300 points, or 3 hordes of Shamblers and 1 regiment of Kindred Archers at 2000 points)
3 regiments of Forrest Shamblers (at 2300 points, or 2 at 2000 points)
3 Tree Herders, one with Wiltfather and Sacred Horn, one with Vicious and one with Brutal.
1 Forest Warden
2 troops of Wild Gur Panthers (at 2300 points, or 1 at 2000 points)

It’s great fun to play and surprising effective (so far!).

20 Likes

Great colour on them. Love the green tone on the wood.

3 Likes

Congrats on the army! Great to hear that it works out too - like apparently a bunch of us, Sylvan Kin are up next for me too, and my assumptions have been that this is mostly a hobby project :roll_eyes: Knowing the list has some teeth too is a nice bonus.

Also yea, I dig the Mantic shamblers, particularly the faces. Do wish they weren’t metal tho (resin pls!)

2 Likes

So that’s what the army looks like that beat the heck out of my Bascilian forces in UB. Very nice job, they look fantastic.

1 Like

I thought of it by accident. I was trying to dry brush some light green highlights onto the dark green mossy bits and realised that it looked good on the grey woody bits too, and helped bring the whole colour scheme together. Serendipity!

3 Likes

A couple of heroes for the army to keep the Avatar of the Green Lady company. El’Rik Nisleen and a Master Hunter.

17 Likes

These look really cool Edzig and really fit the Sylvan Kin theme! :smiley:

2 Likes

I love these two models! I have never managed to get them but I would love to paint them at some stage :slight_smile: Great to see you have them in your army!

2 Likes

The Sylvan Kin version of this army is nearing completion. I’ve added a troop of Wild Gur Panthers and plan to add one more and will then be calling it done. There’s plenty more to be done to make these units work in crossover lists as Forces of Nature, The Herd and Elves, though, so I am not going to run out of models to paint any time soon!

I like the panthers - one of Mantic’s better early mounts, I think. My only problem with them is that they’re supposed to be “wild” gur panthers, so the harness seems out of place.

15 Likes

I’m calling the Sylvan Kin version of this army finished. Here they all are, on parade for your viewing pleasure!

1 regiment of Kindred Archers (missing from the photos!)
4 hordes of Forest Shamblers
3 regiments of Forest Shamblers
2 troops of Wild Gur Panthers
3 Tree Herders, one being the awesome Wiltfather
Forest Warden
Master Hunter
Avatar of the Green Lady (or Elven Archmage)
El’Rik Nisleen

That’s enough models to give me quite a few options in games up to 2500 points.

(upload://7UORA69eHhV8rgi0mgXw6ZIQ8Be.jpeg)

22 Likes

Great work on the army! Just the right amount of extra foliage. And I really like the Mantic treeherder for its ‘treeness’.

The tree contingent in a lot of army lists makes it a very flexible option. I’ve added it to my third ed Herd list and am now branching out (no pun intended) into Sylvan, pure FoN and elf lists.

2 Likes

Very very nice looking army Ed!

I hope to land many Angkor mortar shells amongst them at some point in the future

2 Likes

If we can meet across a real live table I will be happy, even if it’s only to be shot off by AD mortars!

2 Likes

Yes indeed. After the last year I’ll be happy to lose every game for a year as long as I get to play with toy soldiers and roll dice with actual Live gamers again.

4 Likes