Floating Islands project for the Herd - 2300 pts - Always sunny

Day 0 -1

Ive been doing an Atlantean ruins theme army that was started in July.

It’s really coming along nice. It’s expanding as I go.

Started making a list with some water elementals, and said… why not make the whole theme with waves on the ocean. Moved on to a Brotherhood army last week, didn’t quite get it built in 1 week, but I also started a new army to go with the Nature models I can mix. The Herd.

My herd list uses natures Treekin. I have an Elf army will be including in my Atlantean project, so the Treekin needed something unique to go with the theme and modularity to be used in other armies. It is likely, the treekin will be used in the Herd and Elves, so I will travel down that road when Im interested in Elves again, but the foundation is there.

To add more fun to the project, I’m actually playing the list for Always Sunny UB event thats going on. We just played Round one and the army played very well.

Today I started with the concept. I looked and looked. Well, crap - might as well do something about it.

Here is how it turned out.
I’ll included the concepts at the bottom.

The list includes Skin Walkers, Shamblers, Guardian Brutes, and Werewolves.Models aren’t completed yet.

Concepts for comparison after day 1.

15 Likes

I’m having flashbacks to Nagrand

2 Likes

Nice. How did you do your ‘islands’?

1 Like

Thanks for the question.

I showed some pictures above. Some parts were 3d printed from an older project that I thought would make good solutions to theunderside of the floading islands, like those from Avatar. I cut some pink foam scraps to shape the top of the landscape. Then pain with any base paint of your choice. Id recommend something thick from homedepot, but non-spray paint.

Then started on painting. and decorating. Im still working on them, but Im about to put roots and Palm trees on next. likely some crystals on the underside as well.

Here are some shots from the recent game this weekend. Any comments and recommendations are always appreciated.

14 Likes

Nice - collectively that works really well.

1 Like

A few more quick shots on the army progression.

20 Likes

Beautiful, simply beautiful. I love it when people add so much detail (e.g. the roots in the last picture) to the bases as well. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Dude, that is golden! I simply love it, the whole idea and the execution is simply awesome. I’m going for Abyssals the next year, and you might have triggered a nerve here😄 it doesn’t look that hard to build, but adds such an extremely powerful effect to the whole army, no way ai won’t do this at least for a hero or something. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

This is a perfect example why multibasing is the best way to field an army! Absolutely cool project, beautifully done!

4 Likes

Super gorgeous work! What are the trees made out of, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

Thank you Keno.

This was a fun project. I need to do some updates but this is for sure a fun army to play. To make this list a bit more interesting I would add more speed. Maybe something for flanks or another beast of nature.

The last game I played with it, it got shot off the table by Dwarfs.

It’s most competitive games seem to be Invade, or any loot based game. Objective games it seems to do Okay. Kill I would avoid.

I build this army to go with the Atlantean themed army. Since this project, Ive done over 5 other armies. :rofl: I just started a Gothic themed army using the Ogre army list. Hasn’t quite got off the ground yet, but moving into some terrain soon. Been debating over some landscape ideas. Perhaps Ill put a post up with some input from the forums for ideas.

My most recent army was Nightstalkers on a snowing tundra. I also did Undead and expanded my Frostmoon Goblins recently. Also did Elves and Trident. Both are not quite there yet.

Thanks for the nice comments.

4 Likes

Thank you!

The trees are the from some terrain company. I got theme for 24c each I think in the discount rack. I bought them at Michaels, no big deal. But they are easy to obtain on Amazon or in hobby stores.

1 Like

Nice! They look great, and it’s good to know that they aren’t too pricey.

1 Like

This looks great!
So well executed.

1 Like

I owe some updated photos. Made a few additions to the army and using some werecat models for the Spiritwalkers. I’m also printing some Jinn for casters. Unfortunately over the last months the 3d resin printers needed a new screen. I just got it installed, so I’m back to working through my backlog of projects.

Right now I’m working on terrain for my ogre/Titan project. I just started the basing for that one. I forgot about the Ratkin army I was working on too… so little time…

3 Likes

This army is damned amazing, i absolutely adore it!

1 Like

Thanks. It’s impressive in person. Hope you see it some time.

Avatar was a huge influence on this project. My buddy Kyle’s artillery opened up on me, broke two Hordes on the first turn and broke my spirits. the list is based on Lex Simons list, masters level player on the South team. He plays opportunistic and is very strategic player. All the Scouting in this list provides a unique skillset to utilize. I deeply recommend giving something like this a try. It will for sure improve ones game.

It doesn’t see much table time currently, but when I get more chances to play it will come back out.

I may never see it in person unfortunately since im an aussie!

3 Likes

it’s not your fault

2 Likes