Frosty's Northern Alliance / Varangur

The cloaks are ace, are they a conversion?

on the shield maiden sprue

1 Like

It’s a good sprue. If I hadn’t made my Hurscarls already they would have upgraded to use the Sheildmaiden shields, they are very nice.

Also it’s a box of “20” models but you can actually make 24 models out of the kit if you can supply x4 left arms from another kit!!! Luckily the Mantic bezerker arms can fit so I will be able to make x4 characters with left over maidens…

I’m going to make …

1 Master Hunter, 1 Skald, 1 Ice Blade
& perhaps a female ‘Orlaf’

3 Likes

Aaaaaand here they are… bored of painting I just made those 4 spare maidens into L-R

Master Hunter
Ice Blade
Skald
Red Sonia (female Orlaf)

1 Like

Finally painted all the ladies…

Can be x3 Troops or Reg + Troop

Characters done

Now… back to this guy…

9 Likes

Can you make all the Shield Maidens as either hand weapon or shield? CAn you make them all without cloaks or do the bodies requires cloaks?

out of 24 you can make 20 without cloaks, the last 4 would have to have them… or you make 20 with cloaks and the last 4 without :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah you can make them all HW you don’t need to make any xbow models

Note you only get 20 left arms. So if you want to make x24 ladies you need to source x4 more left lady arms.

I can mail you some if you need Jon, I have some spare Mantic bezerker arms

1 Like

Thanks.

I had thought of using these as Blade Dancers for Twilight Kin. No thanks to extra arms, I have enouh in my bits boxes to sort this out.

1 Like

CHIMERA!

Rider yet to start…

10 Likes

Lord on FrostFang/Ice Queen on moose??

I have this Moose model from Fantasy Flight (got it cheap on an online sale ages ago)

I wonder if it could make an decent proxy for a Lord on FrostFang

As you can see it’s twice the hight of a Frost fang (I have x4 Ffang models… I painted 1 for Vanguard but will probably make a unit of them soon)

… the beast is certainly big and beefy buuut is the rider not convincing as a Lord?
Her legs are moulded into the beast so would be quite an effort to switch riders unless I cut at the torso

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Not happy with the rider I bisected Red Sonia at the navel with a heated craft knife.

The cut is so clean I think I’m going to add a pin ot magnet so I can attach her to her legs again if I wish

Or she can sit astride her mighty frost-moose

11 Likes

Great job with the new rider. Looks like a lord now :wink:

1 Like

Agree, fits the part of a “fighter hero”. The previous one looked more like a mage.

1 Like

Started messing around with my Frost Fangs…
How on earth could you get 6 on a base!! I don’t even see how 5 could fit without serious overhangs making the unit hard to play with in games :confused:

I’m going to mess about with cork and rocks as usual as even just 4 still stick out!!

4 Likes

Been crazy busy with work and kids recently but finally got the Frost Fangs done.

7 Likes

Very nice stuff.

Did same thing with the shieldmaidens - they work nicely with the mantic ones but add some much needed variety.

1 Like

Troop of Hurscarls…
Had 7 left over from when I made the regiment ,
Used the better shields from the sheildmaidens kit and added a limited edition dude I got from a Clash of Kings UK goodie pack to make them up to 8 strong…

8 Likes

The project is nearing the end of the models I have (I can always buy more of course)
I totted it all up and I have 4000pts of NA… should keep me busy when the gaming clubs/tournaments open again.

The Ice Elementals have been rebased onto a horde base instead of 40mms

The Lord on Frost Moose has been painted

And I knocked out an ice Queen

The final model to paint… the GIANT.

I’m going to try to get him started with Contrast paints hence the light undercoat.

I did paint this other Mantic Giant when the kit first came out in the more traditional paint method

Will be interesting to compare the two at the end.

7 Likes

Not overly impressed with using contrast on such a large model so far…

His skin has dried quite blotchy. Don’t know weather to repaint the skin with ‘traditional’ paint or try to hid the blotches with some free hand tattoos

I started to like using contrast on rank and file but it seems on large areas it’s not so easy

Also another big drawback of contrast is when I forget to bluetac the pot to the table!

3 Likes