Game 163 - Forces of Nature - 2022/10/23

Thank you for all the reports, I have enjoyed reading all of your Kings of War games.

I started with historical and still play it too (I’m keen on ADLG though, having come up through DBM).
I also find that it is a different enough experience that it’s worth finding time for both. The objective of the game design is a little different; one tries to be a more a game that lets you tell epic stories while the other tries to more a simulation the connects with history.
I like historical in 15mm too, because having a representation of an army is more important than in fantasy were having great heroes and imposing monsters on the table is what makes it cool (and 28mm a good scale).

2 Likes

Hi @DarkBlack!

Thanks a lot! Also for reaching out to play some games against your fantastic Night Stalkers!

I saw ADLG armies at some events and it seems that there are players who play both systems. The basing dimensions allow to adapt models for more than one game. I also had an impression that ADLG requires fewer bases per army - probably an advantage for former DBM players. At the same time, MeG introduced Pacto version that is good to introduce people to the system. Let me know if you would like to talk about historical games more and I will continue the topic :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree about the scales! However, I must admit that Victrix models are so cool I considered building the historical army with mythical creatures for KoW as well! If only there was enough time! :smiley:

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been going back and catching up on some of the reports I’ve missed.

In this battle, you deploy the Stormwind centrally, to hold them in reserve and protect them from shooting. In hindsight, do you think they would have been better deployed on the flank of the main force? They end up fighting in the middle and to the front of units, where perhaps they could have applied more pressure elsewhere?

In this battle, unlike others, you don’t get any significant flank charges in. Not helped by the wavering and grounding of the drakons! Do you think that the bonus attacks from flanks are required to get through the nerve of larger armies? Was there a way to open up some flanks, despite the wide Goblin battle line?

1 Like

That is the great thing about historical wargames, especially Ancients; you can reasonably expect to use the same figures for most rulesets!
I also like that, because rulesets try to represent the same thing, if often have a good idea of what is happening and how tactically sound it is even if I’m not familiar with those particular rules.
Spears are good against mounted, elephants are good against horses, etc.

ADLG is on a smaller table, which has it’s perks. It’s less daunting to start a new army for a start and games are quicker.
One can play bigger games though. Almost like the reverse of Pacto!
I mostly like that it has taken the good ideas from older games that I used to play and built on them.

Agreed on the scale! I like army look of 15mm and have enjoyed 6mm too, but I have been tempted many times to get a 28mm historical army that I can also use as Kingdoms of Men.
The problem is which one?! There are so many armies that could be amazing from a hobby perspective.
Alexandrian with a phalanx and colourful Indian troops? High medieval with all the heraldry?
Chinese in their ordered and colour coded units?

1 Like

Congrats on 10 years @Swordmaster, and thank you for so many reports :blue_heart: While I doubt I’ve read all of them, I’ve certainly read a lot of them. Reading battle reports - and writing my own - has probably been my favorite off-table part of the wargaming hobby, I guess as far back as when I picked up my first White Dwarf over 25 years ago :sweat_smile: I also watch a lot of batreps these days, as 95% of them are video now, but I will always prefer and have a fondness for the art of the written report.

Thanks for keeping that art alive, especially during the pandemic. Making me miss writing my own, but I’ll return when games return (soon hopefully!)

2 Likes

@Swordmaster, congrats mate!
Many thanks for creating this awesome resource.

1 Like

Wow 10 years already! Congrats!!! And a big thank you for sharing all those Battle reports! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your comments! I greatly appreciate that you continue analysing my games!

Stormwind cavalry is a very interesting unit in my army. It often attracts a lot of attention as the only regiment capable of routing some of the enemies on the charge. Hence, I try to deploy them as the last unit and keep a few options open for them.

I came to the conclusion that very often there are a few choices to make with them that are not necessarily better than the other, just come with their own pros and cons. For example, positioning the knights on the flank often puts more pressure there (as you have already mentioned). This is at the cost of the smaller threat area, however. In addition, the regiment may be easier blocked too.

Positioning the cavalry in the centre seem to offer more options for manoeuvring and can keep the enemy guessing as to where they would attack. The challenge, however, is that they may be targeted by more foes in return.

In this particular game, in addition to what I have already said, I took two things into account. First, I was not comfortable with the proximity of the blasters on the right flank. Second, and I probably did not explain in the report, was that we had additional missions. In my case, I was getting the bonus points for routing the most expensive enemy unit. Which happened to be Trolls. I initially wanted to have an option to attack them too but had to change the plan where my stronger flank needed additional support.

I must admit that I am still working on how to open the enemy battle line that stretched from one end to another. Especially when the formation is made from units that can hold against many of my units when they attack frontally. And with Nimble heroes to pick the flanks of my regiments.

I wish I played more games to come up with new ideas! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Hi DarkBlack!

I know what you mean about smaller table! It is awesome to be able to reach to every corner of the battle field without standing up! :smiley:

And I know what you mean about the choices! I picked Seleucids but is not the only faction I am interested in. So many temptations!

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Boss!

Thanks a lot for your kind words! I am so happy to know that what I wrote brings some entertainment, in particular in the time when you are not able to play your own games.

There are some great video reports and I am often intrigued by the animations some historical channels use to talk about battles. At the same time there is something I really like about written words and I am happy this style and type of battle reports is appreciated. I think there is still place for these.

I wish you all the best and I can’t wait until your next battle report! Fingers crossed it is going to be sooner than later!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your support Vince! I am really glad to know you enjoy them and I will do my best to keep them coming :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot Mikes! I was quite surprised myself! :slight_smile:

A great performance for the last round of the tournament! 47 TP would have put you near the top of the table.

The refused flank and the shooting went to plan. Could you have left a unit on the refused flank to cause more of a headache for Huw or would that have unnecessarily weakened the main attack?

Not specific to this battle but where you have two units and only one has an item, do you ever forget to use them?

1 Like

HI MarkG,

Thanks! I was very happy with how it went. All the armies I played against were tough to defeat. I think these factions are simply undiscovered gems. If only people spent a bit more time thinking about ways of using them efficiently, we would have seen more of them.

Having a unit or two on the refused flank is always good. It was not fully intentional to leave it completely open. I wish I had 2 more extra units to do just that.

I often leave Drakon Riders as such element, because they have long range of charge and still make people a bit nervous when threaten flanks. I am sure it would have made Huw to move more cautiously. Shamblers are also good candidates because they cannot be wavered and Scouting helps to start interfering early.

In this particular game I wanted to have a mobile shield for Drakons and I am not sure a single unit of Shamblers would cover enough frontage to do so. I also wanted both regiments to attack with Drakon Lord for maximum damage on the frontal charge. And because Huw placed Brock Riders on the centre and left, this is where I positioned Stormwind to counter their advance.

I usually don’t use the items that much but I think it did happen sometimes that I had an item on one Drakon Riders regiment only. I try to indicate which one has it for the game. On Universal Battle it is usually done in the unit description so when you click on the unit, you can see it. While for real games I use the neat little cards I bought for the items as a reminder.

Thanks a lot for your comments! It is not often that I get some about the games so please, keep them coming!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

Absolutely! Helm of Confidence is one of the items you don’t see often but is really good. The challenge is to find points for all your toys :slight_smile:

As to your second comment. Stormwind and Drakon Riders are the units that can often hit the enemy together before it has a chance to attack. And it is always a good option to consider. In fact, threat of such attack is what makes the opponents more cautious. And it the enemy is in horde formation you can combine even more units in such attack.

It has enough of a punch to rout many foes. The trick is to do it in the way that does not allow many counter attacks. Or the counters are not that powerful. Even at the cost of the sacrifice of one of the regiments, there may be gains in other aspects.

I believe there is a way to do it. Perhaps there is a good formation of units, starting from deployment, that would allow to do it. Something I am still thinking about!

Cheers!

Hello!

Here is the link to my most recent battle report from the third round of the Rage of Isolation 4. Elves vs Sylvan Kin commanded by Michael in Salt the Earth scenario.

Game 155 - Sylvan Kin - 2021/04/06

Many thanks to Michael for a game!

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

Thanks for more comments!

There are some really nice items in the book and only as much space to fit them in! I simply came to the conclusion that in general, it is just a matter of personal choice at the time. All options are usually adding value to the unit. For example, a lot of people like Pathfinder on heavy cavalry. I chose Fury because I can still keep on fighting, despite some unlucky nerve tests that resulted in the regiment being wavered.

You suggested two options.

1. Dragonshard Shield - it is an interesting item. It suggests that you consider it worthy to have an anvil type of a unit in the army. However, as you noted, the army does not really have them. Why do you think it would be of a value to have it for a turn?

2. Windblast - this is something I tried before in 2nd edition in the form of the Windborn cavalry. Unfortunately, this unit is no longer available for Elves. I liked it a lot, also because it is a spell so it was not affected by cover and on top of that, you still inflicted damage. My experience, however, also showed that opponents quickly learn how to block their units from being pushed around.

It does not mean I would not like to have it. However, and it goes for any suggestion for an item and/or new unit, it also means I need to find room for it. Something would need to go.

What would you then sacrifice and why?

Thanks!

Hello,

Here is the link to my final battle report from Rage of Isolation 4 online tournament played on Universal Battle 2.

Game 156 - Basileans - 2021/04/11

Elves vs Basileans in the Control Scenario commanded by Yan! Many thanks to Yan for a great game!

Thanks Michael for organizing the event!

5 Likes

Hello!

Here is the link to my most recent battle report from the game payed on Universal Battle 2. Elves vs Free Dwarfs commanded by @Edzig in Control Scenario.

Game 157 - Free Dwarfs - 2021/04/18

Many thanks to Ed for a great game!

4 Likes

Hi @MarkG,

My apologies for delay in replying to your comments. I thought about them quite a lot. However, instead of focusing on the details you have mentioned, I would like to take a step back and try to look at the bigger picture. For example, when you are building an army list, what is your objective? What do you consider in picking particular units?

Let’s say you can identify strengths and weaknesses or the faction or even the army list. Do you then focus on minimizing the weaknesses or playing to your strengths?

Cheers!

1 Like