Game 163 - Forces of Nature - 2022/10/23

Hi @Boss_Salvage!

Indeed, I would love to keep the Drakons, if only because they are my best conversion so far! I am also quite intrigued by Twilight Kin as they seem to have an unique army list as well.

I guess it is quite normal that when there are so many changes one starts to consider a lot of different elements potentially available. I definitely would like to stick to Elves but who knows, there may be some interesting options out there, also from the point of view of modelling and painting.

I find it quite interesting what you say about Trident Realms. I like the army and its look a lot but as I was busy in trying to figure out what to do with Elves, I have not yet checked other factions that much. For your information, the most recent Australian Masters were won by Jeff (often featured in my battle reports) who used Trident Realms army! Here is the link to the army lists:

Australian Masters - Army Lists

However, Jeff has a particular approach to army list building and I know it may not necessary appeal to everyone.

What seems to be a challenge with Trident Realms at the moment?

I would love to see your Bloodfire army in action again! It was always a lot of fun reading the reports and I really like how this army looks like!

Cheers!

1 Like

That list is awesome:

But is also entirely based on Depth Horrors (who are good and weren’t nerfed) and Eternals (who were really good before and became great), with a Knucker (great in 2E, still good in 3E), and also has allies (though interesting NA ones that largely double down on the nimble hero concept + unlockers/token holders).

I think TR lists a) based on Depth Horrors or b) created fresh for 3E can be good (or great apparently! I’m really impressed he did so well! Maybe it shows how little shooting is in the meta currently? DH were considered sleeper hits in 2E but off-meta because of vulnerability to shooting). Mine was created for 2E, and even though it was off-meta itself, almost all of its components were nerfed. Which is … fine. Unlucky, but fine. But things like Krakens going to 12 attaks from 15 makes them just not really do much, and 10 attaks on Heartpiercers means they don’t get much done shooting and combined with no pathfinder should basically never charge (something I often would do when presented a flank or to disorder a flyer).

Anyway, not trying to dissuade you from looking into TR - you’d probably enjoy the push + pull magic, MSU proclivities and fast (if a bit pillowy) assault elements - or argue too strongly that they aren’t good, my personal experience is that there’s a real lack of teeth in the army. Or maybe in the stuff that isn’t Deep Ones anyway.

Hi @Boss_Salvage,

I don’t mind discussing other factions, especially at this stage where we all try to adapt to 3rd edition. What players perceive as viable choices for their armies is important for me as I will need to take into account what my opponents would prefer to have in their armies.

In general, however, Jeff’s armies are great example that a player and her/his army are not separate ingredients for success in the game. The army is always a derivative from the player’s style and personal choices. And based on my experience in playing against Jeff, who is an excellent player, is that this army perfectly reflects his chosen style. He used similar armies in 3rd edition and was experimenting intensively prior to Masters to find the right list for his approach under new version of the game.

I mention him as an example because I would like to do the same with Elves. In general, I simply hope the diversity of styles is still there. What I enjoyed under 2nd edition was that you may have so many options for one faction that no two armies looked the same.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hello!

Here is the link to my most recent battle report. First and only 3rd edition Kings of War game I have played so far. Elves vs Elves commanded by Michael in Raze scenario.

Game 129 - Elves - 2019/12/14

Many thanks to Michael for a game!

6 Likes

Hello!

Although there is still some time left until the end of 2019, I have just finished my 2019 Summary for my experiences with Kings of War in the passing year.

2019 Summary - Kings of War

4 Likes

Hello!

Here is the link to my first battle report in 2020! Elves vs Northern Alliance commanded by Michael in Loot scenario.

Game 130 - Northern Alliance - 2020/01/12

Many thanks to Michael for a great game!

6 Likes

Thanks Swordie for starting the 2020 battle reports season.

I only half agree with your analysis. I agree that you needed to use your units on the right more actively, but rather than trying to force the issue on the right against the Frostfang, couldn’t you have turned most of that force towards the centre, once you’d shot off the Wolves, leaving just one regiment of Drakon there to threaten the Frostfangs flank if they tried to flank if they tried to move across?

1 Like

Hi @Edzig!

Thanks a lot for your comment! I hope I will be able to provide more battle reports this season and it is good to play games again!

Good point! I should have considered that option too. You are correct, if I kept one regiment of Drakon Riders on the right flank and threatened with an attack to the flank of Frostfangs, that would have allowed me to move Stormwind and second Drakon Riders towards the centre. In this way I would have been able to support Palace Guard, threaten the advance of enemy infantry units and control the loot token.

Thank you very much for the advice!

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for the report Swordie, I do like the new list, even if I always try to give my ASB something to do besides just wave their flag, sometimes as simple as a warbow. Tho happily I did note that you’ve got no items beyond the mage’s inspo, bravo :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Boss_Salvage!

Thanks for the comment! We shall see if I can make this list work. I am going to have a few games with it to test it against different opponents and under different scenarios.

Unfortunately, I cannot claim the full credit for no items beyond Talisman. :stuck_out_tongue: It is simply due to the fact I run out of the points. I would like to give Drakon Riders Dwarven Ale and Staying Stone as these items were really helpful. And yes, would be nice to give something to Army Standard too!

Cheers!

“A few games … against different opponents and under different scenarios” ?

I am very much looking forward to reading about those Swordmaster! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Mikes!

If all goes well I should have 3 games to write about by the end of the weekend and 6 more after next weekend. Next weekend is Australian Clash of Kings tournament, so I should have some pictures too! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Looking forward to reading about it!

1 Like

Hello!

Here is the link to my most recent battle report. The game of Kings of War using Universal Battle 2. Elves vs Forces of Abyss commanded by Jeff in Plunder scenario.

Game 131 - Forces of the Abyss - 2020/01/19

Many thanks to Jeff for a great game!

4 Likes

Hello!

Here is the link to the most recent battle report from the game of Kings of War played on UniversalBattle2 platform. Elves vs Forces of Nature commanded by @Edzig in Push scenario.

Game 132 - Forces of Nature - 2020/01/21

Many thanks to Ed for a great game!

4 Likes

Nice report as usually, thanks!

To your “after the game thoughts” about the attack in round 2. It really looks that your Stormwind cavalry and the PG1 and PG2 units were blocked and made ineffective the next turn. I think you could charge PG1 to the flank of FS2 as you did but use the PG2 to charge FS3 instead leaving the cavalry regiment in reserve to charge in where needed next round. I guess the flank charge of PG1 should be enough to rout the shamblers and it leaves you with more options for the next round. In the same turn you could also consider charging the centaur chief with your dracon rides DR1 and overrunning into the centaurs as far as the first charge would not be hindered (not quite clear from the picture) while charging your DL2 into the flank (was it really possible?) of opponent’s Pegasus. Charging the central centaurs regiment with your DR1 unit at least to block them also seems as an option to me.

Typo: you have DL1 twice in your army list, the second is obviously DL2. It also took me a while to realize the FS1 horde is listed in your opponent army, would be better to group all FS1-4 units together. Sorry for nit-picking with this.

1 Like

Really enjoyed reading those, especially the last one against Forces of Nature, such a close call! :slight_smile:

Thanks Swordmaster!

1 Like

Thanks for another great report. I really like seeing your write-up of our games and having the chance to reflect on what went right or, more often, wrong! Your 3rd edition Outcasts have definitely retained their distinctive ‘feel’. I don’t know anyone else who is running a similar list.

One correction is that none of my Scouting units can get a first turn charge unless you advance beyond the deployment zone. They would be able to if I gave them speed boost artefacts, but I don’t . That’s one less thing for you to worry about next time!

This was a very enjoyable and bloody battle. I am really liking my new Forces of Nature army. It encourages lots of combat and manoeuvres from the early turns. The speed and shooting in your army are a problem for mine, especially the centaurs, who are used to getting first charge, but have to brace for impact against drakons, etc.

My plan this game was to win on the left and then support the centre, where I expected the outcome to be decided. On the right, I intended to try to delay your fast flankers while scrapping in the centre with the tree herder and shamblers, trying to set up charges for the centaur regiments. I had to change that plan when your right Drakons and Drakon Lord committed to the fight in the centre early. I could have brought the Pegasus and right Forest Shamblers towards the centre, but instead used them to put pressure on your archers to discourage them from advancing. That was successful, but I made mistakes in the centre, twice placing my Tree Herder badly: allowing your PG to charge the flank of the Forest Shamblers without facing a charge threat in turn 2 and then at the end letting your other PG slip past him with tokens. The latter was just a classic case of looking at where the opponents’ units are now instead of thinking about where they’re going to be next turn. As a result, you managed to get clear of the centre in time to avoid my reinforcements arriving from the left.

It was a very enjoyable game - as usual - and I am already looking forward to our next!

1 Like

Hi @AlQuds!

Thanks a lot ! I am happy to know you enjoyed the report. Let me address your comments in more detail:

Indeed, I did not anticipate the after action positioning well and PG regiments were blocking each other. During the game, however, I was also concerned that if I go with PG units alone, then I would risk them to be attacked by Tree Herder. Especially the one with the token. But perhaps I should have dropped the token and then charge?

I considered the charge against Chief but I decided against it. I assumed he was still in difficult terrain. But even if he was not, I was not sure the odds were in my favour. My plan was to use Drakons as a shield for Storm Wind. Unfortunately, I did not reform Drakons well enough to block line of sight to the cavalry for Chief. If I did, that would have worked better.

I am sorry for the fact pictures do not really allow to measure the distances. I believe Drakon Lord was too far and I most likely checked that too. In fact, he was too far from all targets with an exception of the Chief. Ed places his Pegasus well and landed out of arch of sight of my Drakon Lord.

Thanks for the comment on the army lists, I have just corrected the typo and changed the order of the units for better clarity.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Mikes! I am very happy to know that you liked the reports! :slight_smile: