How do you store and transport your KoW armies?

I just glue 1mm thick neodyme magnets under the base. One in each corner.

1 Like

I recently took my buddy’s advice and made a stackable tote + steel sheet carrier:

I also glued 100x1mm magnets under the corners of the bases, which I paid too much for on Amazon but didn’t want to wait longer for :sweat_smile: It’s a little awkward under the individuals who are balancing on one big magnet, but on the table it hasn’t proven to be an issue. Honestly I should have just used 4 smaller magnets for them but didn’t think to :confused:

Anyway, amazing storage solution, I’m blown away by how secure this is compared to all my previous jury-rigging. If there’s a downside it’s that I can juuuuust fit my Height 5 monsters in the top tote, but there are certainly bigger totes on the market for the tallest bois.

7 Likes

Regarding magnets on mini bases… I started with GW minis and there is a void on the bottom of the bases. For mantic, yes, a small hole and dropped in a tiny magnet I used to use to magnetize minis together with.

3 Likes

The 20mm and 25mm bases by Mantic have a slot. Turn them upside down, put the magnet in thw slot, et voila!

1 Like

Where did you find the steel sheets? I’m looking into storage/transport solutions. I have magnetized bases but am trying to figure out the best tote/steel sheet combo and where to get it. Reviews online are all over the map.

1 Like

I got the totes from Big Lots, but Target also sells them, tho both places tend to have limited stock that quickly vanishes - Sterilite Large 2 Layer Stack & Carry Clear With Green Accents : Target. You can also order them on Amazon for about twice the price.

However not too long ago I built a bigger, better, more mechanically secured tote and talked about it here: Magnet-Ready Army Case 2.0

EDIT: Just saw you specifically talked about steel sheet. I got mine from Lowes in both cases, but any American big box hardware probably has them. I wish I could tell you which gauge I got but I didn’t take note :confused:

Thanks. Do you like the mechanically secured tote better? Aren’t you losing real estate by having the bolts sticking through? I’m not terribly mechanically inclined, so I’m trying to do some research before I dive in on this one.

Yes, I really prefer the bolts, and use the space around the bolts for individuals to hang out so it isn’t a total loss. The creaking epoxy of my stacking tote always creeps me out, especially once my buddy had a sheet detach. It didn’t really have anywhere to go and nobody was damaged, but certainly pushed me to look into mechanical connection.

1 Like

I never have far to transport minis but… mine are in cardboard boxes of different sizes. If yall remember the fat mouse from cindarella cartoon (1950s version) carrying too many corn kernels… yeah that’s me with my many mini boxes.

3 Likes

@Cyberactivity Saw this in your army thread and was interested in some of the details. How carefully did you have to choose the magnetic tape for strength and adhesion? How does the metal paper work, say compared to steel sheets?

1 Like

@MarkG I’ve written a quick guide on making the storage solution on my army blog.

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to put up a full guide and the details of the materials.

5 Likes

You’re welcome. Hopefully the guide will come in handy.

3 Likes

I have an army case from Sabol, called Army Transport (mark II). This is a foam case, the foam needs to be bought separately. This is a super sturdy case which have been with me around europe and even to the US (as carry on luggage) for eleven years now. I also was able to buy some more of these for my friends.
I don’t know if they make them anymore, or if Sabol is in business, but last I checked they made the Mark III which was not as good because it was top loaded, which is too much of an inconvenience, compared to my Mark II which is back loaded so the foam is easier to slide out of the case without needed to use force.

2 Likes

@Cyberactivity Picked up the materials and followed your guide - great results.

Some notes:
Used 19mm magnetic tape to easily cut a 19mm square for 20mm individuals.
I picked up a pack of ten A4 self adhesive ferrous sheets so that I didn’t have to cut them at all. Not missing the inch gap at each end - units adhering fine overhanging.
I’ve over magnetised some plastic units - these could probably be stuck to the walls of the box, if it was covered with the ferrous sheet.
Some of the metal units won’t slide but will detach if tipped somewhere before 90 degrees (not planning on doing that!).
2 of the large plastic storage boxes I used snugly fit in this bag (dimensions in the questions): Amazon.co.uk

5 Likes

I personally use sheet magnets (ie fridge magnet), that I buy in rolls of 1m on ebay.

Sheet magnets to lay out on the base of carrying container? Happen to have a link to what you’ve used in the past? I ordered off Amazon something that was supposed to be like that, but it doesn’t appear to do much.

I also picked up thin steel sheets and attempted to cut it, but I don’t have the tools to do that well, so I’m looking at something I can order off Amazon/eBay to stick to the bottom of the container.

Anyone have a link to something that worked well with magnetized bases?

2 Likes

I have magnetic sheets on the bottom of my boxes and under units.

Might not let me hold my box upside down, but keeps things from sliding around

2 Likes

I bought these and they’re useless:

Printable Magnetic Sheets - 5 PCs… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087Z8HJV2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

Never gotten printable sheets, that might be an issue.
Could be that that brand is poor quality.
From the reviews it looks like those are thin and weak, designed for stickers or fridge magnets.

I usually get the self adhesive variety.

1 Like