Introducing my sons to wargaming

Lost kingdoms miniatures makes great knightly units. I painted the swamp queen (aka lady of the lake) and she’s a lovely miniature.

Other models of this range are also wonderful. The knights (2 sets) are wonderful and there’s plenty of infantry to go. The only disadvantage of this set is that the monsters are so freeking huge that most are not suitable for tabletop play.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s one of them we’re looking at! The other that my dad likes is Asgard Rising (less Bretonnian and more Dark Ages). We’ll probably go with one of those two for his OOTGL army.

For my Northern Alliance, I’ve relied a lot on Epic Miniatures (dwarves, frostfangs, trolls, ice elementals, ice queen, tundra wolves, ice naiads). Perfectly supported, too, which makes the printing process easier.

1 Like

Update:

The boys are opening presents this Saturday. I’ve printed and painted a full Northern Alliance army to surprise them with. I’ve also found files for their units and am ready to print Saturday morning after they open.

I’m not much of a hobbyist, but I’m working on it…

My army:
4 hordes of ice elementals
4 troops of pack hunters
2 ice queens
2 lords on frostfang
1 regiment of dwarf clansmen
1 horde of ice Naiads
1 bolt thrower
1 frost giant
1 skald
1 thegn with standard
1 lord on horse
1 regiment of tundra wolves
1 horde of snow trolls

About 3400 points or so to work with. We’re aiming to play at 2k to start. I’ll start printing and painting the rest of their armies shortly. Hoping they’ll be surprised and overjoyed!

10 Likes

really enjoying seeing how you’re getting on with the next generation of gamers. I love the look of the army should be a good test for them…just before they roll you over :slight_smile:

How are they getting on with the rules, have they picked much of it up themselves yet?

2 Likes

They’re pretty solid on the mechanics. We play a LOT of boardgames, so these rules are straightforward enough for them. I had never painted anything until they asked me to paint Memoir '44 for them, and then they wanted to give Frostgrave a try, and then they wanted more figures for an epic experience. Picking up the base KoW ruleset has been a breeze because it’s so streamlined.

I’d say they mostly enjoy list-building (don’t we all?), followed by having something that looks cool, and then actual game play is down the list. The 9yo wants to play in a tournament, but I suspect we’ll delay that for a few years. :joy:

3 Likes

I forgot to add: I played around with blender some and designed/printed a few bases with slots to drop their existing guys in on something a bit nicer than black plasticard. I feel like I have a little more time now to play around with multibasing.

6 Likes

Those undead themed multibases are very cool

1 Like

Thank you! I think I’m a better digital modeler than physical. I’ve worked up a line of Undead and Abyssal Dwarf bases for my sons, both to convert existing units and to build out new ones. Hope they like them!

1 Like

Oooh, interested to see your Abyssal dwarf bases once they are done

1 Like

A couple samples:

Waiting on approval from the general before printing. They’re a mix of stalagmites and pillars on cracked lava terrain.

There are about 15-20 bits of cave-like scatter terrain I can mix and match on the cracked lava base, then scale to taste. For Northern Alliance it’s ice crystals and snow boulders, while Undead get gravestones, creepy fences, and a mausoleum.

4 Likes

3d printing is gonna decimate hobby skills isn’t it?

3 Likes

I don’t know. I think many of us have different types of skills, and things like good basing have been limited to the best hobbyists for a long time. 3d printing opens up the possibility that people with technical aptitude but not great dexterity and hobby skills can still have something that holds up okay with some work. That said, the learning curve on blender, chitubox, 3d printing, etc. in general are going to keep that off-limits for many people for the foreseeable future.

If we all agreed to go back to the 1999 standard of painting and basing, my hobby skills would hold up just fine :joy:

5 Likes

Christmas went well. The boys loved the Northern Alliance army and loved the 3d printer, so we spent the weekend playing games and learning how to print.

Total this year I’ve painted and based ~385 minis for three armies. We have about 100 more printed and waiting to paint. I’m going through and rebasing the ones I threw together to make them nicer. So far, it’s keeping their interest, and I hope this turns into a lifetime hobby. Fingers crossed! Excited to finish off their core armies in early 2022 so we can start to customize and play around with things.

Attached is a pic of the most recent skeleton troop.* E (9) designed the base and helped pose the minis in Blender. I’m trying to get them into all aspects of the hobby, though painting is still a bit too hard for them…

*I explained that skeletons are pretty weak, and a troop isn’t going to live long, and I can kill it in a single turn. To which E replied, “Yeah, but that means you’ll have to use a turn to kill it, right?” He’s pretty comfortable with the idea of a completely disposable trash army.

9 Likes

well it sounds like he’s already appreciating the role of chaff in an army and being a necromancer.

The skellybobs are looking terrific I’m sure it won’t be long before they’re splashing paint on everything in sight. At that point you can live the life all gamers dream of…getting someone else to paint the minis!
Happy New Year of gaming to you and the younglings

3 Likes

That sounds like a great way to pass the Seasonal holiday. I did the same thing many years ago, when my kids were about the same age. I bought The Battle at Skull Pass, which was a starter set of Goblins and Dwarfs, figuring he could select one army, and i would take the other.
As it turned out, he wanted Vampire counts, which he bought with vouchers he got for Xmas, so I got both armies .My daughter picked up the goblins, not interested in the nuances of war gaming, but she enjoyed painting them. i still have most of the Goblins we painted together,

So they both painted, and me and my son battled.
Nearly 20 years on, my son and I still battle and compare notes on painting, whenever we can.
@Cartwright keep up the good work.

3 Likes

Today’s project was designing a regiment base in Blender:

This mausoleum will be a base for a regiment of zombies. I’m mostly basing as regiments, then using the movement trays recommended above to combine as hordes when needed. So far, so good!

6 Likes

Zombie trolls, skeleton warriors, and immortal guards done. I still have two regiments of immortal guards to paint, then a horde of zombies is up next. Bit by bit we’re getting there.

13 Likes

I think the Abyssal Dwarfs are done. Infernox, dragonfire team, and infernok to close them out:

7 Likes

Got in a fun game today. Northern Alliance vs Abyssal Dwarfs, 2k points of dominate. My son’s massive waves of Immortal Guards plus mortars were a good fit for the scenario. He had the first turn, marched into the center, and dared me to move him off, all while peppering me with mortar fire. Not a fun outcome for the Northern Alliance. But we enjoyed the game and are getting more comfortable with the rules.

9 Likes

I was finally able to get my NA army on the table against another adult this weekend, and my opponent was gracious enough to type up a fantastic battle report:

Enjoy!

5 Likes