Joe's All- Mantic Dwarf army plog for 3rd

I haven’t played for ages, but KoW is my favourite game. I heard there was a new edition coming out so I’ve just started a new army. As with the armies I built for the releases of both 1st and 2nd edition, I’m doing dwarfs again! This time though I’m doing all Mantic, because I think it’s a flipping brilliant range.

I’m doing FMC, individually based- both to keep it flexible for other games and because I quite like the classic look. I’m a child of the early 90s, so the bases are goblin green! I don’t have the skill or time to go crazy with painting, so I’m going to keep things simple and bright, and as neat as I can.

18 Likes

Im a big Dwarf fan. Been a dwarf player since earlier editions of WHFB. But I just can’t get into Mantic Dwarfs. They are just too similar. Imho they need more variety. 90% look like they are from the same kit. If they looked more like the Vanguard models I woukd be all in. Rant over.
Your painting is awesome btw. I’m very interested in what changes come for Dwarves in 3rd. Im betting Brocks will get a points increase or lose some punch. Berserkers on foot will get better. Cannons will get a boost.
I’m looking forward to seeing your army grow and you playing a few games.
May your beard grow long and your ass stay sharp!

2 Likes

thanks! I know what you mean about them all looking very similar- I think that may be part of why I like them. I’m very nostalgic about the monopose plastics GW used to do in the late 80s, early 90s, and I think they formed my idea of how wargaming armies should look, but I certainly understand why people don’t like that look.

2 Likes

I’d be for the models if they had a bunch of different heads to put on for variety. I think it was a small flaw in planning. It could have made all the difference.
My WHFB dwarves were the set with crossbows/ great weapon- both on shoulder, or the hand weapon shield. Oversized hands for some reason, but at least different heads. :grinning:
Still looking forward to Dwarves in 3rd!!

1 Like

Gotta say, I love the overall look of these guys. Very similar to the way I do mine… as I also first did fantasy mini gaming in the early 90s! :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Really cool! Love the classic bases!

2 Likes

fantastic stuff Remy77077! Very clean and bright.

1 Like

thanks KptKeno!

1 Like

Cheers! :smiley: Maybe when 3rd ed is out and we’ve got armies finished, we should have a game of matching base styles :wink:

1 Like

first unit finished. I’m going to use gold armour for Ironguard and silver for regular ironclads etc.

16 Likes

organ gun finishedIMG_20190911_002326498

12 Likes

I like this type of painting, makes me miss the old days of warhammer. Your organ gun made me take a look into the 6th edition dwarfs army book, especially the wheels reminded me of the “old” scheme.

1 Like

Just amazing. Inspiration for all new dwarf players.

1 Like

Cheers everyone!

Here’s a box of trimmed and cleaned bits for the toothbrush and fairy liquid treatment. Beautifully cast kit.

2 Likes

Such a great looking army!

2 Likes

Good on you for keeping blacklining alive! It’s not my style but it has such a classic look.

1 Like

thanks Rob!

yep, there’s a guy on some of the oldhammer groups called Paul Mackintosh who has an immense collection of mini over 35+ years, all in that style, and I just thought it looked great- really graphic and clean, like an old fashioned cartoon. It’s quick too!

1 Like

Quick? Really? I thought black lining would take a lot of time and effort.
It looks great.

1 Like

You paint around the black. It was the old standard when you had to paint hundreds of minis. You typically use bright colors so the black adds extreme contrast without need for washes or much highlighting.

1 Like