Keno's all Mantic Sylvan Kin

I have been toying with the idea of starting Sylvan Kin as my second army for quite a while. Today I bought an Elven Warhost (20 Tallspears, 20 Kindred Archer, 10 Gladestalker and a bolt thrower) ridicoulisly cheap on Ebay (25€ incl. shipping). So, I guess I start now! Has anyone a good idea about what to use as boskwraiths?

1 Like

That was a great price, good find!! Hopefully the pain job isn’t a paint to strip.

Boskwraiths are allegedly just elves, so you can kind of look for more wood elves. I’m going to be 3d printing mine.

1 Like

Sylvan Kin, very good choice :wink:.
Boskwraiths have a low defense and many attacks in their profile. So many players go for miniatures with little to no armor and two handweapons. The wardancers from Warhammer Fantasy are IMO the best option and luckily there is no shortage of These old metals altough oop.
But every other miniature that fills the profile requirements will do :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

@VigoTheButch Thanks! There’s no paint job at all! There are still unassembled in the box.
@WolleK I was thinking of GW wardancers, but I’m not sure how they scale next to Mantic elves.

1 Like

As already suggested the GW wardancers seem to fit the boskwraits profile. On the other hand, the name of the unit suggests non-human beings, so the AoS (or old Confrontation) “ghostly trees” are an option too. In the Uncharted Empires supplement the boskwraits are described as wild young adults surrounded by glittering pixies and will-o’-the-wips forming a ghostly aura around the frenzied warriors. Thus, elves with two weapons painted in ghostly (maybe flickering) colors should fit the official fluff.

1 Like

I like the ‘elf with two weapons’ route more than the plant thing, since it is in line with the lore. Maybe this DS-Hero will do as an Archwraith:

It’s even a Mantic model!
For the Boskwraiths I’ll probably take Gladestalkers with a weapon swap and some Reapermini familiars. Maybe a bit of warpaint will symbolize there wild nature.

1 Like

Unpainted AND unassembled? Well, you basically stole those. Further congrats on an amazing eBay find!

I know! The guy was obviously no wargamer and didn’t know what he had for sale. Or it was an April’s fool and I wasted 25€😜

1 Like

The elves arrived! The boxes were complete (even the stickers and 6 Mantic point were there!) and intact. After feeling a bit guilty about the price I paid, I started to testpaint the elf hero and ordered a bunch of familiars from Reaper. I’ll post a picture later and may turn this into a showcase topic. Thanks for the tips on Boskwraiths.

2 Likes

This will be the paint scheme for my Sylvan Kin. It’s basically the same as the one from the rulebook by @mattjgilbert. I will use this model as an Archwraith or Elven Prince/King.

8 Likes

I will use these Gladestalkers with two weapons as Boskwraiths. The base will get a lot of debris, forest spirits and animals. I guess it will work quite good.

1 Like

Good looking test! Dig the brown + black + warpaint. Also had no idea Mantic made this mini :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! It’s actually brown+dark brown + dark green +warpaint + bad lighting :wink:

1 Like

How are everyone’s Sylvan Kin projects going? I recently got into KoW (in the summer) and I’m partway through my army.
I’m super stoked to get my GW Corvus Cabal over the holidays to use as TreeLeapers and Wrath of Kings Goritsi Wardancers as my Boskwraiths.

1 Like

I made an elf army that was supposed to work as both twilight kin and sylvan kin but haven’t had time to add much of the more sylvan units. I do have a treeman lying around which I could (and should!) paint up to get going on the wooden stuff. :grin:

1 Like

I’m still painting up my classic mixed elf army as posted in the painting thread. Only a small detachment of 2 Regiments of Forest Shamblers planned (but already painted), but a Tree Herder is definitely on the list as well.

Still trying to decide between the Otherworld and the Mantic Model for the Tree Herder. I like the Mantic Model but I am a bit worried about transportation. Anyone has experience with it? Is it possible to transport it safely without risk of snapping those tiny resin branches on the top?

1 Like

I’m still scavanging through Ebay for cheap Elves. I got a quite a few, but Undead are my priority atm. I was quite happy to see Gladestalkers becoming regular since Halpi. So I’ll get some of those.

I should totally do that! My second project is a Nightstalker army with Tzeentch demons. Should really just combine them and play Twilight Kin.

1 Like

After a quick poll, forum readers decided, that I should continue with my all Mantic Sylvan Kin project. Current state is this:

The Terrain Crate tree in the background is part of my base fo the Hunters of the Wild, which will be next after I finished my Boskwraiths.

12 Likes

I’m thinking about using the Mantic centaurs as Stormwind Cav, because I think the Stormwind model are too armoured for Sylvan Kin. What would you think? Is that too confusing to play against? Otherwise I could Centaurs incl a Captain as Allies.

1 Like