KoW in 2022

hard plastic EoD is unexpected, kind of
as being the last metal-plastic hybrid army and Mantic replacing metal with resin, that something is coming up was expected, just not a full plastic release
but finally having EoD plastic horses makes conversions for chariots easy, can’t wait to see more of those

15 Likes

Anything that means we don’t have to cast those metal pieces any more is awesome :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

It shows that Mantic listens to the community.
Good news indeed!

3 Likes

Plastic skeletal cavalry is great news.

Not entirely taken on the RFO shrine though, and will probably kitbash something from the mantic blacksmith terrain kit.

1 Like

I will always love metal minis :see_no_evil: :upside_down_face: :joy:

4 Likes

I’m always here for skeleton horses.

1 Like

I love metal miniatures.

Metal conversion parts for plastic miniatures can burn in hell though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

True :joy:

Plastic all the way. I will buy inferior plastic minis over metal & resin.

3 Likes

I hate metal, plastic and resin for the win.

1 Like

I am fine with plastic, but resin and especially restic is the worst… :sob:

2 Likes

resin is amazing and I will not accept any counter opinions :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Restic is a plastic (nothing to do with resin) and metal has its flaws.

2 Likes

all of the flaws, we hates it

1 Like

I like plastic the most. Metal minis fall over a shatter. Resin seem too fragile really. The detail is great but just not strong enough.

3 Likes

PVC type stuff isn’t it? - lots of the cavalry models (blocks, panthers, horsemen etc).

Once you get used to sharp knife cleaning and hot water treatment to get the stuff to fit together, it isn’t horrible!

3 Likes

Are we talking at cross purposes here?
As far as I know, there are 5 types pf material used in Mantic minis:

1. metal. Tends to be very floppy and soft when spears or staffs are involved

2. ‘Restic’ - the ‘plastic resin’ used on things like Brock riders, gur panthers and Halfbreeds. detail can be quite soft and mould lines are really tricky to clean. But can be repositioned with hot water which helps assembly.

3. Injection moulded plastic kits - expensive to make so judiciously apportioned to make their money back on popular units only. To all intents and purposes the same as what GW does with everything nowadays. Rigid, fairly detailed and easy to clean up and paint. Come on sprues.

4. Actual resin - crisp detail, better robustness on staffs and spears, very cleanable and cutable, used on more elite units like Drakons and Ogre warlocks, plus big monsters usually but not exclusively.

5. Bendy squishy plastic used on things like Dungeon saga minis. Very robust but rather soft detail and a tendency to distort when you’re not looking!

Did I miss anything?

Oh and if one of the mystery plastic kits is Elves, I’m in deep ‘New Army’ trouble…

4 Likes
  1. Metal.
  2. PVC plastic, which comes in different grades. The Walking Dead, Dungeon Saga, and some Kings of War kits are made from this, just in different grades (hardness). It has been called Restic or plastic resin, but those are misnomers since it has nothing to do with resin. Just a pliable plastic. Beaing pliable means you can have more undercuts (and therefore fewer parts).
  3. Injection moulded plastic, or HIPS. Expensive as you say, and also unforgiving. You can’t have any undercuts whatsoever on these.
  4. Resin.
4 Likes

for #2 and #5 this is PVC and Mantic used different types of hardness for the models, the very first one was harder to give better details, but was also hard to work with so the next models were from a softer PVC
the boardgame plastic are even softer as being robust is important for the boardgame scene (while they care less if the models are bending) and this is more or less the standard quality there

1 Like

Yeah there seems to be a whole PVC hardness spectrum across the ranges

3 Likes