League of Rhordia Conquistadors

I’ve been slowly working on a LoR army with a theme around the Spanish conquistadors. As this is taking so long, I’ve decided to start documenting it in an effort to speed up my snail-like progress.
First up is an extension to my regiment of pikes. The starting point is the WFB 6th edition spearmen and halbardier figures plus some metal morion helmets and pikes:

The build is quite straightforward. To start with, everybody gets a new hat and hair transplant using green stuff. The weapons are then cut away from the hands and the hands the drilled out to take the spear shafts. The bodies are assembled as normal except for the two front rank figures. These have the torso tilted forward and the legs re-positioned (left leg bent, right leg straight) to show the figure leaning forward. The figures are then glued to individual based on alternate sides so they will rank up:

Next step, clean up and priming, which I hope to get done in the two next weeks.

12 Likes

Nice looking stuff.

Where were the helmets from?

As an FYI, Wargames Atlantic will be releasing a conquistador kit in the not too distant (hopefully) future.

1 Like

Thanks @Sceleris.
The helmets came from Maxmini several years ago. I’ve just checked and they now do full conquistadors heads, which would have saved me some time.
The Wargames Atlantic previews look very nice and, if the size is OK, I will be using these to build some footguard with sword and shield.

2 Likes

OK, I admit it took a bit longer than two weeks, but here are the finished reinforcements for the conquistador pikemen:

These will rank up four deep:

but I plan on having only 15 to 17 on a regimental tray to create a less formal grouping:

I have tried to get a few different poses for the last few figures which will complete the second regiment. These are now primed and ready for painting:

14 Likes

lovely, I’ve a set of Spainish from 1898 Miniatures to use since I got shot of my pirazzo’s lost legion.

1 Like

Thanks @Gerrcinn, look forward to seeing your tercios.

1 Like

Trying a unit base would really solve your issue of where to clump them together and what to do with the spare space. Or are you considering a hybrid, like making some diorama pieces that cover any missing space on the sides?

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions Fred. I prefer to keep t he figures individually based, so I would lean towards your second option. My first thoughts are trees, bushes and pieces of wall, but do you have a by other ideas?

1 Like

Hi All. New to the forum and KOW in general. Nice work on the conversion. If anyone is looking for a range of conquistadors Eureka Miniatures do a nice range. Not as chunky as the GW stuff but good quality.

https://www.eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_781_693&sort=3a

5 Likes

Thanks @Davemc1815 . I don’t remember seeing the Eureka range before and they do look nice. Unfortunately, I’m trying to match the MOM range (left below) which are even bigger than WHFB (right).

6 Likes

Hi @FredOslow , I tried a few different layouts after your reply. First up, the standard 4 ranks of 5:

which I think looks a bit flat. Next, the minimum model count (MMC) of 15 with spacers:

which I think is more dynamic, but need more work ( more figures at the front and less at the back). Finally the MMC with half-finished bushes to compact the figures and add some visual movement:

Again it still needs work, but I like this best of the three. Thanks for the idea!

13 Likes

The last four figures are now completed:

and I can now field two regiments or a horde of pikes.

I have now moved on to foot guard, using the MOM range with swords and pole arms. I think these are beautiful sculps, but the resin is brittle and needs a lot of cleaning up before assembly.

This is not my favourite job and, if it wasn’t for this forum, I probably wouldn’t be doing it!

9 Likes

terrific work once again, those mom minis are lovely I’ve seen lots of painted examples but that is the first time I have seen them and their sprue.
I wonder if a change to siocast could be on the cards down the line, it would lower cost and make them more flexible although clean up can be more of a pain than resin if it is flash heavy.

Hi @Gerrcinn, I bought these sprues some time ago and I believe the MOM range was re-issued earlier this year. This may simply have been a post-Covid re-stock but I will be having another look.

Other than native peoples, did conquistadors fight against other armies? Say Spanish vs Portuguese, or European vs Chinese?

yes there was a lot of conflicts, also conquistadors refers to both Portuguese and Spanish. But you can throw them up against Mamluks, Ottoman Turks, and with the Italian Wars pretty much all of Europe

1 Like

Hi @MarkG , @Gerrcinn, I believe the term conquistadors was applied specifically to Portuguese and Spanish soldiers and explorers sent to exploit the overseas territories discovered in the 15th and 16th centuries (particularly in Central and South America). I don’t know how far these troops differed from the regular European troops, if at all.

Your comment has opened up some thoughts for a background theme for my army; an imperial expedition to somewhere remote around the coast of Mantica?

1 Like

I believe people mostly associate conquistadors with South America as they are most famous for bringing down Astec Empire, but they were all over the place. Just as Landsknechts are usually associated with Great Italian Wars, but they fought all over Europe and even South America.

Btw, nice work on figures. Will you add some war dogs? Perhaps as allies?

Thanks @ThaneBobo, I do have some hunting hounds which I run with the Brothermark as light cavalry fillers. Perhaps some mastiffs if I can find a way of including them in the list.

there is no difference in arms and equipment for the forces fighting on either side of the Atlantic, beyond not bringing pikes with them. Although I think we’re going very off topic from your lovely army ^^